IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

inaccurate fuel gauge

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

efkaba
Year and Model: 850, 1995
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
efkaba

inaccurate fuel gauge

Post by efkaba » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:05 pm

A 1995 850 GLT, non-turbo, the fuel gauge is showing an inaccurate reading. The troubleshooting I have done thus far indicates a faulty fuel level sending unit. I would like to remove the sending unit from the tank, but I first wanted to look at some parts drawings to see what the sender looks like. My thoughts are that the float, or whatever, is sluggish, or stuck, because the level indicated on the gauge varies. When the problem began, the fuel level gauge was indicating about 8 gallons in the tank. When I refueled, the gauge remained at 8 gallons, but after awhile, the gauge needle began to rise and eventually indicated about 12 to 16 gallons, although I filled the tank completely. Now the gauge needle vacillates between 10 to 14 gallons. Could not find any removal procedures, although it seems to be fairly straight forward, I did see on FCPs website that there is a fuel level sending unit alignment tool available. So, before I remove the sending unit, I'd like to know about the alignment procedures. I called FCP, but the person with whom I spoke didn't have a clue about the about any procedures. Thanks in advance for any help someone could give me on this.