IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Dash Rattle Ghetto Fixed Question

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

humbertoflores63
Year and Model: 1995, 97, 98
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
humbertoflores63

Dash Rattle Ghetto Fixed Question

Post by humbertoflores63 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:51 am

My 98 S70 dash is driving me crazy w/ some creaking and rattle noise. I know the ultimate fix is to pull the dash apart which I do not want to do at this time. I did a quick search and found some posts about using foam tape and one mention about using foam spray from the outside once screws are removed:

1. Which foam to use? At least 3 different types.

2. If the aim is to fill the avoid and keep it from moving, Urethane caulk will probably create a much better bond than the foam

3. Do I need to insert the screw before the product dries???

4. What else have you done??

Sveedy
Year and Model: 96 850 Turbo
United States of America
Sveedy

Re: Dash Rattle Ghetto Fixed Question

Post by Sveedy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:34 am

I don't believe there is an easy fix for this problem. I'm planning on attacking it myself in a couple of weeks. I don't see how removing the mounting bolts and then trying to shoot foam in the holes is a realistic fix. At the very least you should plan on removing the dash pad. Then you MIGHT be able to do something with foam, other than making a huge mess. I'm thinking that maybe some of that " flex-seal " tape might work if you can get it in there. Removing whole dash and fiber-glassing the mounting bosses is the only real way to solve the problem, so far.
" There is enough in the world for everyones' needs, but not enough for everyones' greed. "
Gandhi

humbertoflores63
United States of America
humbertoflores63

Post by humbertoflores63 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:09 am

I do not want to remove the dash until I need to replace the AC condenser which is not leaking yet.

Sveedy
United States of America
Sveedy

Post by Sveedy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:29 am

I said " dash pad ". It's not hard to do. Basically taking out the glove box and then a dozen or so screws. There are write-ups / videos on it. Less than an hours work and it would give you access.
" There is enough in the world for everyones' needs, but not enough for everyones' greed. "
Gandhi

humbertoflores63
United States of America
humbertoflores63

Post by humbertoflores63 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:59 am

OK, I did miss the dash pad stuff. I'll look into it.

amblerman
Year and Model: 1999 s70
United States of America
amblerman

Post by amblerman » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:22 pm

I have done the real fix.

Here's my write up in case anyone is interested: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81991

removing dash wasn't hard and didn't require any disassembly related to the AC condenser in case that was your worry.

If you just don't want to get involved in that right now that's another story.

However, having done the job, I can only imagine that spraying foam into that general area might (or might not) fix anything but will absolutely make any future jobs involving removing the dash, electrical, or HVAC a lot more complicated as the foam will stick to everything, encapsulate all hoses, tubes, wires, etc. Plus, that stuff is really had to judge how much to spray and i can easily imagine spraying either not enough to do anything or way too much that will get into places you don't want.

In my case, all of the bolt attachment points were broken so my dash was being held on the side bolts and resting on the center column I guess. Spraying foam into the dash might have worked but it would actually fix it. Best case scenario is that it would have just become the actual support structure.

If you read through my write up , there are some excellent photos from member bmdubya1198. You can see all the different HVAC related bits that COULD get messed up with foam (if one of your HVAC tubes isn't perfectly connected, foam could enter).

Also, just removing dash bad may not gain you access to spay anything into dash from above. The dash mounting points are not accessible until you pull the dash back about 2 inches. You might not have access to areas to spray unless you drilled holes into top of dash.. which I don't recommend you do. :-)

The dash attachment is a horrible design in my opinion. Bolts that attach to the HVAC tubing and become brittle with age and snap.

humbertoflores63
United States of America
humbertoflores63

Post by humbertoflores63 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:51 pm

My AC condenser is not leaking and hate to remove the dash fix just one thing. If I do decide to remove the dash, I will probably do the condenser at the same time. Good thing is a toy car and do not put too many miles on it.

Sveedy
United States of America
Sveedy

Post by Sveedy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:08 pm

I like the ABS cement idea amblerman ! Just in time for me to use on mine. :)
Gandhi

amblerman
Year and Model: 1999 s70
United States of America
amblerman

Post by amblerman » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:53 am

Please reach out to me if you have any questions about this job. I will try to think about any suggestions I might have left out when I did mine.
two right off the bat:
1) triple check all HVAC tubes you put back together. They sort of snap together.. not really. Not the most secure connections. if I did it again, I'd try to figure out some way to securely put them together because I swear my system leaks air. Not sure it's my fault. Just that the tubes are kind of loose to begin with.

2) sealing foam. I'm not talking about the spray foam that started this thread. I'm talking about the adhesive backed flexible foam you might find in the weather stripping section at a hardware store. There is some of that around some of the HVAC connections and after 20 years, that stuff just turns to powder. It would be good to get some of that with GOOD adhesive to replace as needed. Unfortunately I don't have a good suggestion as to what brand to get. Truth be told , I'm not sure if my use of flexible foam was to replace what was on the car or an attempt to seal some gaps. but I suspect you'll find parts of the HVAC system fit loosely and you might want some adhesive backed weather stripping of some sort to try an seal some gaps.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:59 am

humbertoflores63 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:51 am
My 98 S70 dash is driving me crazy w/ some creaking and rattle noise. I know the ultimate fix is to pull the dash apart which I do not want to do at this time. I did a quick search and found some posts about using foam tape and one mention about using foam spray from the outside once screws are removed:

1. Which foam to use? At least 3 different types.

2. If the aim is to fill the avoid and keep it from moving, Urethane caulk will probably create a much better bond than the foam

3. Do I need to insert the screw before the product dries???

4. What else have you done??
I squeezed a line of butyl tape into the gap between my dash and windshield. It looks a bit rough, but it worked like a charm to get rid of the rattles and cracks, and now I don't lose my roaches into the dash anymore when I hotbox.

'they can't bust you for pot in scones"

-Derry Girls
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary