IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Front Suspension Issue

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
WVI
Year and Model: 2008 C70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
WVI

Front Suspension Issue

Post by WVI » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:40 am

Good Day.
I'm seeking some guidance on the front end of a C70.
When going slow, and turning tight, the right front wheel makes a sounds as if the wheel is rubbing the debris shield of the rotor. It's a metal grinding sound.

With this, when moving very slowly, and applying the brakes, you can see the wheel shift/move a bit. This is both in forward and reverse.

The bottom of the rotor debris shield was tweaked some, but no indication of wearing on it nor the rimri
I have replaced both strut assemblies and strut bearings.

With the car on a stand and wheel off, I can't get any movement by hand...

Does anybody have any ideas on what is going on with this?
Tnaks much.

MoVolvos
Year and Model: 03S80T6~08C30T5
United States of America
MoVolvos

Re: Front Suspension Issue

Post by MoVolvos » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:39 pm

-
I would start with the brake pads for even wear to make sure the piston is not stuck. The wheel shift maybe unrelated but could indicate a worn bushing. Use a large pry bar to check movement.
-
Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated
2003 S80 T6
2003 GS300
2003 Odyssey
2008 C30 T5
2019 Atlas SE 4 Motion

MoVolvos
United States of America
MoVolvos

Post by MoVolvos » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:52 pm

This site will be very helpful for repairs and applies to the C70. I just replaced the struts and refurbed the bearing on mine. Did you make sure the entire strut is inserted as far as possible and that the end of spring on top match the nub (orange) sticking out of the spring seat / bearing? Just making sure the steering geometry is correct and not binding in anyway.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticl ... 0_Tech.htm
Pelican Spring Seat - Bearing.png
Pelican Spring Seat - Bearing.png (975.3 KiB) Viewed 154 times
Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated
2003 S80 T6
2003 GS300
2003 Odyssey
2008 C30 T5
2019 Atlas SE 4 Motion

WVI
United States of America
WVI

Post by WVI » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:36 pm

Thanks for the responses.
I did make sure the strut was in proper. I wondered If hadn't tightened something but I've gone over it all a few times.
I was looking at the prakes today and the pads are about needing replacement.
I was thinking control arm bushing but I'm not sure where to pry at to get any movement. Looking at them, I can't see if they are obviously worn out.
This did run off the road into a ditch in it's early life...I often think that may have led to an early onset of issues.
It has less than 70K miles on it.

ON EDIT:
Would a bad hub/cv joint in the hub end maybe account for this?

MoVolvos
United States of America
MoVolvos

Post by MoVolvos » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:49 pm

WVI wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:40 am

When going slow, and turning tight (Does this happen turning left and right), the right front wheel makes a sounds as if the wheel is rubbing the debris shield of the rotor. It's a metal grinding sound.

With this, when moving very slowly, and applying the brakes, you can see the wheel shift/move a bit. This is both in forward and reverse.

The bottom of the rotor debris shield was tweaked some (Bend the shield away from the rotor and make sure everything is even all the way around), but no indication of wearing on it nor the rimri
I have replaced both strut assemblies and strut bearings.

With the car on a stand and wheel off, I can't get any movement by hand (Check the caliper. Remove caliper and loosen the bleeder screw. Fluid may come out due to gravity but don't worry. Use a clamp or very large channel locks and press in the caliper piston all the way in and see if the fluid that comes out of the screw is rusty? Be sure to use a cloth so not to score or damage the piston surface. Afterwards close the bleeder screw and depress brake to push the caliper piston out. Put a block of wood the width of two worn brake pads and rotor so it does not come all the way out and repeat the above bleeding process to make sure the piston is moving freely and that the fluid is clear.)...

Does anybody have any ideas on what is going on with this?
Tnaks much.
Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated
2003 S80 T6
2003 GS300
2003 Odyssey
2008 C30 T5
2019 Atlas SE 4 Motion

WVI
United States of America
WVI

Post by WVI » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:13 am

The noise only happens when turning left. There are no rub marks anywhere on anything.
I hadn't thought of the caliper causing problems. I'll check it out.

Thank you.