IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Purchasing an 06 XC70 Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

randyking
Year and Model: XC70 2004
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
randyking

Purchasing an 06 XC70

Post by randyking » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:22 pm

I have a chance at a great deal on a XC70. Has had all Volvo recommended service, was at the dealership every 3000 for checkups. I'm trying to find a Volvo mechanic where I'm at to look at it, but in case I can't (COVID-19 and all), I need to know what to look for. I'm fairly mechanical capable. I use to have a 04 XC70 but spent 5 years with a Toyota, so I think I've forgotten a fair amount.

I know there is the PCV issue, awd fluid, tranny fluid, timing belt, struts/bushings. Anything else? If someone posted a guide, could you link to that?

Thanks!

edit: Forgot to mention it has just over 100k.
04 XC70 (traded), 10 Corolla (wrecked at 225k)

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: Purchasing an 06 XC70  Topic is solved

Post by oragex » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:56 am

Being a turbo, the PCV may still be fine, it's better to switch to a good synthetic - keep a very close eye on the oil level for the first days
The awd fails on these, perhaps at 100k is still working, usually it fails mechanically at the collar sleeve
Other than that the struts may still be good if used mostly highway, the small bushing on the control arm will give you a good idea about the spring seats as well. Also look at the front brake flexible at the lower inner portion, it cracks - another good indicator if the car was used mostly city or highway. Test and flush the front sunroof drains (if you park on incline backwards also test the rear ones). And of course the rear exhaust hangers break
These users thanked the author oragex for the post:
randyking

randyking
United States of America
randyking

Re: Purchasing an 06 XC70

Post by randyking » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:14 pm

oragex wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:56 am
Being a turbo, the PCV may still be fine, it's better to switch to a good synthetic - keep a very close eye on the oil level for the first days
The awd fails on these, perhaps at 100k is still working, usually it fails mechanically at the collar sleeve
Other than that the struts may still be good if used mostly highway, the small bushing on the control arm will give you a good idea about the spring seats as well. Also look at the front brake flexible at the lower inner portion, it cracks - another good indicator if the car was used mostly city or highway. Test and flush the front sunroof drains (if you park on incline backwards also test the rear ones). And of course the rear exhaust hangers break

Awesome! Thanks for the information. This care was owned by a literal old lady, I've verified it that much. Just have to inspect it. I'm planning on changing all the fluids if I get it. I remember when my 04 AWD went out, was not fun.

Skymongrel
Year and Model: XC70 2006, S80 2007
United States of America
Skymongrel

Post by Skymongrel » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:50 pm

I have an 06 XC70 (160k), just replaced a Bevel Gear Adjuster Nut o-ring due to a leaky BG (one of the cheaper BG fixes). I've been running synthectic oil. Still using original PCV system. Did have a strut coil break (I don't drive hard!). Watch the exhaust hanger near catalytic converter. Mine is on its way out. My 98 XC70 rusted out and I didn't get to it fast enough and had to repair broken exhaust pipe. They do make a exhaust hanger to fix this. I've also replaced front wheel bearings and at least one half axel. Stabilizer links. Other than that its been a great car!

Oh...those dam A pillars loose their fabric covering. I replaced them and the new ones de-laminated too!
These users thanked the author Skymongrel for the post:
randyking

randyking
United States of America
randyking

Post by randyking » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:15 pm

Skymongrel wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:50 pm
I have an 06 XC70 (160k), just replaced a Bevel Gear Adjuster Nut o-ring due to a leaky BG (one of the cheaper BG fixes). I've been running synthectic oil. Still using original PCV system. Did have a strut coil break (I don't drive hard!). Watch the exhaust hanger near catalytic converter. Mine is on its way out. My 98 XC70 rusted out and I didn't get to it fast enough and had to repair broken exhaust pipe. They do make a exhaust hanger to fix this. I've also replaced front wheel bearings and at least one half axel. Stabilizer links. Other than that its been a great car!

Oh...those dam A pillars loose their fabric covering. I replaced them and the new ones de-laminated too!
Thanks for the tips. I think the exhaust hanger was starting to break on my 04 if I can remember. I replaced a wheel bearing on my 10' Corolla (RIP). That was a horrible job! Pressing the bearing out and in. From the records, the car shouldn't need anything but I'm going to go out of my way and do a full tune up since I'm bored (coronavirus vacation).

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:49 pm

Wheel bearings are solid on all models but the XC90 - perhaps it used the same bearings, but the weight difference is too much for these

As pointed above, less known but rather common is sudden coil springs breaking - not fun when it happens and not cheap to fix for the rear ones which may break more often. It's not because of rust or roads, I think Volvo just stretched the springs for the XC70 without enlarging the cross section - most other Volvo models rarely if ever break these. If money is not a problem I would replace all 4 before it happens, or at least the rear ones, Lesjofors is perhaps a good choice

The PEM and FPS are the two culprits for stalling and fuel delivery problems
These users thanked the author oragex for the post:
randyking

randyking
United States of America
randyking

Post by randyking » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:38 pm

oragex wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:49 pm
Wheel bearings are solid on all models but the XC90 - perhaps it used the same bearings, but the weight difference is too much for these

As pointed above, less known but rather common is sudden coil springs breaking - not fun when it happens and not cheap to fix for the rear ones which may break more often. It's not because of rust or roads, I think Volvo just stretched the springs for the XC70 without enlarging the cross section - most other Volvo models rarely if ever break these. If money is not a problem I would replace all 4 before it happens, or at least the rear ones, Lesjofors is perhaps a good choice

The PEM and FPS are the two culprits for stalling and fuel delivery problems
Thank you! I would never think of the springs breaking. The LAST thing I would look for to be honest. This is why I use forums haha. Learn from someone else's problems. I'll research the PEM and FPS. I'm sure I'm going in on the purchase. I have 2k set aside for future repairs and maintenance. It's nice to have a Volvo community. Seemed that way over on toyotanation, people took their time to help.

randyking
United States of America
randyking

Post by randyking » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:12 pm

Well the deal fell through. Turns out the wife can't bear to part with it. I doubt there will be another car that well maintained within a 100 mile radius. I'm gonna print this out and use it as a guide if I look at anymore Volvo's. Thanks for the help ya'll.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:45 am

There are lots of good P2s in the Eastern seaboard. CT and NJ seem to have the rich people “ driven nicely, low mile” plums
These users thanked the author abscate for the post:
randyking
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

randyking
United States of America
randyking

Post by randyking » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:26 pm

abscate wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:45 am
There are lots of good P2s in the Eastern seaboard. CT and NJ seem to have the rich people “ driven nicely, low mile” plums
That's true. Here in the Brandywine valley there's a lot of money and a lot of XC70's. They just like to hold on to them.