IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Turbo Oil Drain Line Leaking

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
EngineeringdadS80
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
EngineeringdadS80

Turbo Oil Drain Line Leaking

Post by EngineeringdadS80 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:13 pm

RIGHT TURBO OIL DRAIN LINE
February 28, 2020 I had my mechanic install my complete rebuilt turbos, to include all new provided parts i.e. turbo air hoses and gaskets and a (almost) new OE Volvo Catalylic Converter. Everything imaginable for a mechanic to complete task plus spares parts, extras to complete the job 100% plus some. Unfortunately he didn't do a very good job. He scrapped off my new Volvo Catalytic Converter Gasket - Volvo OE: 30677358 off the turbo housing and claimed the inner flange lip in the turbo housing allows the cat converters pipe to insert and seal without the requirement of a gasket. (U.S. Volvo told me different) As he said it leaked exhaust gases after he fully torqued with the gaskets so he removed them. Then he couldn't find the lower 02 sensors I provided, and couldn't removed the originals from existing cat converter, so he plugged them. Told me I needed to find the 02 sensors and bring the car back. Paided $800 and took my car home losing about a 1.5 quarts of oil [ 3.5 miles] because the left side (driver) tubo oil drain line wasn't properly installed. The gasket was pinched...I removed original lower 02 sensors off the original cat converter myself with a 22m wrench with a slight tap of a rubber mallet. I had spares 02 sensors and turbo oil drain line gaskets thank goodness. I returned to the 3 Stooges repair shop, the bag of 02 sensors I originally provided magically reappears...I informed them of the oil leak. Several days later car was ready. Picked up car paid additional $150 for 02 sensor installation only to discover a makeshift steel exhaust coupler in the Intercooler Plastic Pipe (Volvo 9161701) He told me he had to rotate turbo assembly (left-driver) downward so the oil drain line would fit more snuggly into engine block and seal and it created a gap bewteen the aluminum turbo air discharge pipe and plastic Intercooler Pipe (Volvo part 9161701) so he installed a metal exhaust coupler in between. Round 2, took my car home and found the coupler he wedged wasn't sealed and it cracked the plastic Intercooler Pipe (Volvo part 9161701), plus in their useless efforts to correct the oil leak he didn't re-install the new turbo manifold (3) exhaust gaskets. To pissed to argue with the the 3 Stooges of Dickson Motors & Body Shop of York Pennsylvania 17403 so I took it another shop recommended by a good friend. The owner concurred Dickson's cracked the intercooler pipe in their makeshift assembly, they didn't installed exhaust manifold gaskets (left-driver) and after spraying the block with several cans of brske cleaner they discoverrd the oil drain line from turbo was in fact leaking at the block-like if it was missing the round gasket. He showed me on his cell phone the video footage of performing a smoke machine test, clear as day indicating the intercooler (plastic pipe) and turbo exhaust manifold area discharging the smoke test. The shop that performed the investigation quoted; HE WOULD HAVE TO DROP THE TRANSMISSION @ a cost of $1500 to install lower drain seal and do the manifold gasket. The legal side of this I'll handle in court later, but it's not helping me at the moment.

MY QUESTION? Is there a step by step on how I can accomplish the repair myself? I have the jack stands and floor jack to elevate about 2ft., off the garage floor. All the tools, offsets, claw wrenches, etc.

I've removed a set of the same turbos 6 months ago from a salvage yard and they were a bit challenging, but not impossible.

I've removed and installed a new cat converter a few years ago on this car, so a challenge doesn't frighten me, its the $1500 for dropping a tranny to do the seal I find a hard pill to swallow.

NOTE: With CoronaVirus epidemic most shops in my area won't reopen until after April 30, 2020, but I need it done now like ASAP, Which means I'll need instructions on how to do that right turbo oil drain seal in the block. A "DO-IT-YOURSELF" guide.

Please Help....

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: Turbo Oil Drain Line Leaking

Post by SuperHerman » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:55 pm

I have experience on the XC90 with the same engine. From your post you are asking about the driver side turbo. You should be able to do all the work without removing the transmission. If you can take out the turbo you can do the repair.

To remove the turbo drain line, which is what it sounds like the part that is leaking, you have two torx or allen head bolts that tie the hard line to the bottom of the turbo. The other end has a thick o-ring that usually gets stuck in the block where the line drains. Stick your finger in there and pull it out (assuming it is there) - your pinky should work. Process is either remove the two torx/allen bolts from the top, or do it from the bottom with an assortment of wobbles and extensions. If you look up videos for the 2.5 family of Volvo motors the process is the same. Just get under the securely jacked up car with a flash light and find the torx/allen bolts. On my XC90 I did them from above. It is frustrating, but with a 1/4 or smaller driver and various extensions they will come off. Remember what you use and repeat on install - for me I had to approach it differently for each side.

I would wager he bent the drain pipe and that caused the issue. You cannot complete the repair, at least I could not, with the oil return pipe mounted on the turbo. It will come out easy this way, but it cannot be installed this way - at least I could never do it. I think your mechanic tried, bent the pipe to get it to fit - hence your problem. Once the torx/allen bolts are removed one should be able to rotate the drain pipe to create space and then it can be pulled out. Minimal force is needed. The process can be seen in the videos - only access may differ. Upon reinstall put the o-ring on the pipe when you insert it back in the block, then rotate into position. Lining up the gasket holes can be a challenge. You could use a gasket sealant if you want to attach the gasket to the pipe - I have done it both ways - with and without. Pick the side you are most comfortable putting the torx/allen bolt back in and start with that side to line it up. Finger tight, then back off 1/2 a turn until you get the other side in. A trick I used the first time was to use two longer bolts of same thread pitch and size and finger tightened them, then removed the easy side and used the correct bolt and tightened it up. Then remove the longer bolt and your hole will be aligned. The oil drain pipe is not straight it has a bend in it - this bend is what allows you to twist it for clearance and to get it into place.

For the gasket - are you talking about the one between the turbo cartridge? That should be there. There is another gasket, that depending on model year and VIN was not installed. I ordered my parts first, the dealer told me I had a gasket, when I removed my turbo it did not have a gasket. So I left it the way I found it and had no leak issues.

Chasing over boost issues I must have taken the turbos off the driver side 6 times, in the end I could do it in a few hours tops. So, if your S80 has the same set up you can do it. Take a peak with a strong flash light and an inspection mirror. Look from above and below. If you can see the allen/tox botls from below, and have a helper that would be the best approach. The person on the floor guides, instructs and turns while the person above holds the bit in place. Pretty easy this way.

Volvo seemed to use allen and torx screws - which one appears to vary. That is why I wrote torx/allen. In the end I changed mine to 10mm which I found sat without issue. They have to be the same length as the originals and you have to make sure the pipe weld doesn't create a situation where the bolt head doesn't sit flush.

On the XC90 I was able to remove the entire manifold assembly by removing a plate under the car which allowed the exhaust to drop. This was per VIDA. If you don't have VIDA, do some looking and download it. You don't need the code reader portion - you just want the instructions. You can enter your VIN manually and pull them up. The exact process will be there, unfortunately I gave mine to my sister.

Hope that helps - if you need more information I will try to answer.

EngineeringdadS80
United States of America
EngineeringdadS80

Post by EngineeringdadS80 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:25 pm

Thanks SuperHerman. I'm under the impression like some of my other Volvo projects, that its a game of patience and little bit of MacGyver and some enginuity...

SuperHerman
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:11 pm

Maybe the old MacGyver - the new version doubtful.

Volvo only lists the repair of the turbos as a complete turbo and exhaust manifold swap. They don't have anything for just the cartridge. They sell a nice big $2k replacement assembly with most everything included.

Thinking about it - I know when I did my XC90 I used a write up from one of the forums of a person that did the work on the S80. It had pictures and all.

SuperHerman
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:20 pm

Did you look at this - this is the one I mentioned.

viewtopic.php?t=71845

EngineeringdadS80
United States of America
EngineeringdadS80

Post by EngineeringdadS80 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:52 pm

Thats the ticket...I thank you. And yes that who I meant the original MacGyver from the late 80's early 90's.

EngineeringdadS80
United States of America
EngineeringdadS80

Post by EngineeringdadS80 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:17 pm

YOU SAID: For the gasket - are you talking about the one between the turbo cartridge? That should be there. There is another gasket, that depending on model year and VIN was not installed. I ordered my parts first, the dealer told me I had a gasket, when I removed my turbo it did not have a gasket. So I left it the way I found it and had no leak issues.

ME: I dont recall a gasket myself when I first replace my Catalylic Converter back in 2017.

See: https://m.eeuroparts.com/Parts/86085/Ca ... -30677358/

My Vin is: YV1TS91Z841340581
Year: 2004
Make: VOLVO
Model: S80 T6
Body Style: 4 DR Sedan
Engine: B6294T-(2.9L incline 6 -Turbo)
Fuel System: ME7 (Bosch Motronic 7 fuel injection)
Drive Train: FWD (Front Wheel Drive)
Transmission: 4T65EV-GT (Front Wheel Drive-4 Speed Automatic)