IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2004 XC90 bank 1 turbo removal

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
KevinCro
Year and Model: 2004 xc90

2004 XC90 bank 1 turbo removal

Post by KevinCro »

Hey guys I’ve spent three afternoons trying to get the bank one turbo out. Everything is disconnected but the oil return line. The torx bolts stripped out on me and I’m frustrated to the point that my next step is to hook an engine hoist to the turbo and yanking it out and whatever breaks breaks. Obviously I don’t want to do that so I am now here and very humbly asking for help. Any advice is much appreciated.
2004 Volvo XC90 T6 169k miles
SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90

Re: 2004 XC90 bank 1 turbo removal

Post by SuperHerman »

Bank 1 being the driver side? Oil return line, being the one on the bottom of the turbo that drains into the block. You should be able to remove the turbo with the hard line still attached. I don't recall how much of the turbo/exhaust sections you have to remove, but it should be pretty obvious. I did it so I know it can be done. It just pulls up - maybe a gentle side to side twist to get the tube up and free. It is stuck into the block with an o-ring so it takes minimal force.

You cannot install it as one piece though - I tried and failed.

Did you try attacking it from below with someone holding the bit to the bolts to keep it straight and true?

You can replace the stripped bolts with 10mm ones of the correct length, just make sure the welds on the oil return line don't prevent the bolts from sitting flush. I did this also.

Unfortunately I gave my XC90 to my sister so I cannot go out and look exactly what has to come off. Even more unfortunate at the same time I threw away an old return line - if you have one you can just cut the pipe.
KevinCro

Post by KevinCro »

Thank you for your help. The turbo that I’m working on is on the passenger side. I might have misspoke as to which one it is. I live in the US and it’s a left hand drive vehicle. It appears that the oil return line curves around and goes down under a bracket if some sort.
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman »

Kentucky from your signature. Unfortunately I have no experience on that turbo, but I recall it was easier to work on. Usually Bank 2 (driver side) is the one that causes problems. What if any view do you have of the two stripped bolts? Can you put a vice grip on them? Hammer in a bigger torx or allen key? The torque spec is 10nm or less so it will not require too much to get them out. Is it torx or allen - Volvo seemed to use both without reason.

Can you post a picture?
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman »

Take a look at this for the S80 - set up should be pretty similar. Author mentions pulling the axle to get access, which may not work on the XC90 AWD.

viewtopic.php?t=71845
KevinCro

Post by KevinCro »

I’ll look at removing the axle. That might help. I’m fairly certain it is a torx bolt but now that it’s stripped I might be able to hammer the Allen socket in. The problem is just not having enough space to work. Never seen anything this hard to work on before. Thanks for the help.
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman »

Did you try your assortment of vice grips? Maybe a needle nose vice grip?

If all else fails you can cut it and find a used one or use a correct grade hose and patch the cut (like a pipe couple). All the return line does is drains the oil back. You could even cut and patch as you wait for a replacement. Just find a hose that can handle the heat and oil/gas and is the right dimensions. Use hose clamps to hold it in place, two on each side wouldn't hurt - oetiker style best. Assemble the most difficult portion before hand and leave the clear shot for when you have the unit in place. One of the coolant hoses on that side uses a small section of rubber hose to handle bends, mating two hard lines.
KevinCro

Post by KevinCro »

Okay so after a trip to harbor freight for a body panel saw, I cut the oil drain pipe. Some knucklehead had put a big glob of epoxy sealant around the end of the pipe and it wouldn’t come out. Took a while to get the pipe out even after the turbo was removed. Then I tried to get the two torx bolts out and I guess they put permanent lock tight on them cause I nearly broke my t handle and it still didn’t budge. 🙄
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman »

KevinCro - the joys of finding and battling monkey work. At this point you can try hitting the bolts with some heat as that will release the torx bolts unless they used a high temp red Loctite. Just don't go crazy - it is a turbo so it can get hot. Have you tried a vice grip on them as the turbo is now off?

Did you find an o-ring on the tube or the block? It usually stays in the block when removed - stick your pinky in the hole and fish it out - use a mirror to make sure. Upon install, after you clean up the goop, put the o-ring on the tube and then insert. The other way never works.

I posted the steps I would use to get the bolts out on a similar post - basically if the vice grip/heat doesn't work the next step I would take is trying to drill a small hole through the center of the bolt - hole should be smaller than the torx. Many times this is all that is needed. Just keep it straight. I am hesitant to grind the heads off as the problem is with the Loctite.

How many miles on the turbo? That side is pretty easy to find used and the S80 should cross over - plus you can find them with the pipe attached (mine came that way) including intact screws/bolts. So worst case scenario, source a used one with a pipe and rebuild it.