IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

is there any risk to use a non compatible DIM?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

charlitos1988
Year and Model: s60 2003
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Peru
charlitos1988

is there any risk to use a non compatible DIM?

Post by charlitos1988 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:14 pm

I found a used 2001 XC70 DIM for $200

I plug into my 2003 S60 and it just showed check engine yellow light and all Dim in black

but I accepted the reality that I won't find a compatible DIM here in Peru and because of all the Covid-19 pandemia, it will take long time to find someone to bring an American compatible DIM.

the car works without DIM but you can't use Windows, no alarm, no turn lights, no high beam switch and period.

so I just want the DIM to have all those features available.

I will just have to keep in check petrol, coolant and speed by myself because DIM is black but I think I can live with it.

BUT I want to know if there is any other consequence of using this non compatible DIM?

any experience? misfire? CEM got crazy?

electric craziness ?

I am really blue....

darrylrobert
Year and Model: 2001 v70xc
Australia
darrylrobert

Re: is there any risk to use a non compatible DIM?

Post by darrylrobert » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:30 pm

Sorry to hear the replacement DIM didnt work, to far a year gap i would say. I dont think it will damage anything, ive test tried alot of things on mt car, it either works or it doesnt, as long as there are no wiring changes.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:41 pm

What are the part numbers? Are they the same?

You should gather this information and post it. Also send a private message to Jagger and ask him if he can download the correct software and get everything working. Your problem may just be incorrect software. He can do this remotely if it is possible from what I have read on this forum.

I do not see any problem using the incorrect DIM, other than not having data showing, provided it is not blowing any fuses. If it plugs in without changing any wiring I would go with it for now.

You can use a portable GPS unit or your phone to tell you how fast you are going. Just keep checking your fluids and pay attention to any engine sounds as that is your only warning.

charlitos1988
Peru
charlitos1988

Post by charlitos1988 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:54 pm

SuperHerman wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:41 pm
What are the part numbers? Are they the same?

You should gather this information and post it. Also send a private message to Jagger and ask him if he can download the correct software and get everything working. Your problem may just be incorrect software. He can do this remotely if it is possible from what I have read on this forum.

I do not see any problem using the incorrect DIM, other than not having data showing, provided it is not blowing any fuses. If it plugs in without changing any wiring I would go with it for now.

You can use a portable GPS unit or your phone to tell you how fast you are going. Just keep checking your fluids and pay attention to any engine sounds as that is your only warning.
I sent message to Jagger and he told me there isn't compatibility between 2001 and 2003 so no solution.

what do you mean by "blowing fuses"?

when I connected this one (as a mean of a short test) nothing happened just black cluster, no messages.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:11 pm

What are the part numbers of the two units?

If the car functions without the DIM then I would run it without one.

But if the car functions with the incorrect DIM and it gives you the controls you mention you want then I would use it, unless it is blowing a fuse. Did you check whether the 2001 DIM allowed the windows to work?

The car's electronics are protected by the fuses. If the incorrect DIM blows a fuse that means it is drawing more current than it is suppose to - whether because of incorrect wiring or incompatible DIM. So if it blows fuses you don't want to use it.

I would trust Jagger - you could ask him what years and models will work on your car and then look for what he states will work and he can program for you. You can always sell the 2001.

Did you ever post pictures of the DIM board you destroyed?

darrylrobert
Australia
darrylrobert

Post by darrylrobert » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:43 pm

This is my spare DIM from a 2002 xc70. for reference, if someone could label what these numbers?..i havent tried plugging it into my 2001xc70 to see if it works.

Try websites to see if part numbers are compatable according to this website https://ecu.eu/ this 2002xc70 DIM is not compatable with a 2003 s60 only a 2002 s60

Note Does Peru use Km's like Australia?..does US have Miles/km dials??. changing the dial facia is very easy.

dim part number.jpg
i think this is the date should be 2002, its upside down because im in Australia
dim date.jpg

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:31 am

I did plugged in a badly messed up electronic board (I tried to repair it myself, just like you did), I had no issues besides the DIM being dead. Interestingly, everything was still working in my car (windows, turn signals, etc). When I swapped with another DIM which was also known to have problems, it was working for a few minutes, then it would die with a Check Engine light - I brought this DIM to a repair shop, they fixed it for me and it's fine since (except for the high beams indicator light). I guess you will get an SRS message and light, but I don't think a bad or wrong DIM would cause any other damage inside the car. You may even get back your windows, turn lights, but perhaps the high beams will still have a problem.

charlitos1988
Peru
charlitos1988

Post by charlitos1988 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:24 am

SuperHerman wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:11 pm
What are the part numbers of the two units?

If the car functions without the DIM then I would run it without one.

But if the car functions with the incorrect DIM and it gives you the controls you mention you want then I would use it, unless it is blowing a fuse. Did you check whether the 2001 DIM allowed the windows to work?

The car's electronics are protected by the fuses. If the incorrect DIM blows a fuse that means it is drawing more current than it is suppose to - whether because of incorrect wiring or incompatible DIM. So if it blows fuses you don't want to use it.

I would trust Jagger - you could ask him what years and models will work on your car and then look for what he states will work and he can program for you. You can always sell the 2001.

Did you ever post pictures of the DIM board you destroyed?
how can I know if the other DIM "blow fuses", or not?

is there any kind of "test"?

and is a blown fuse too dangerous?

charlitos1988
Peru
charlitos1988

Post by charlitos1988 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:32 am

oragex wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:31 am
I did plugged in a badly messed up electronic board (I tried to repair it myself, just like you did), I had no issues besides the DIM being dead. Interestingly, everything was still working in my car (windows, turn signals, etc). When I swapped with another DIM which was also known to have problems, it was working for a few minutes, then it would die with a Check Engine light - I brought this DIM to a repair shop, they fixed it for me and it's fine since (except for the high beams indicator light). I guess you will get an SRS message and light, but I don't think a bad or wrong DIM would cause any other damage inside the car. You may even get back your windows, turn lights, but perhaps the high beams will still have a problem.
I sent my damaged DIM to a Volvo trucks ECU repair shop and they told me my DIM just has solder cream on the green area board and is too bad.

they warned me not to use it because there is a high risk to get an "overall electric problem" to the other computers inside the car.

but I did plug in and drive (without knowing), the first times after doing the repair in order to close windows but with that warning from the shop I don't want to risk the whole car.

darrylrobert
Australia
darrylrobert

Post by darrylrobert » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:16 am

Most of the time its dry solder joints that need to be re soldered. Electronics get hot and over time the solder can dry out causing contact problems. Ive done a few fixes over the years on different Volvo cars ive owned ABS module repairs, starter relays repairs etc. Youtube and the internet is a really good resourse and has saved me many times.