IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Need Advice

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Timandmelissa07
Year and Model: v70 2004
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Timandmelissa07

Need Advice

Post by Timandmelissa07 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:38 pm

I have a 2004 volvo v70 2.5t which just starting giving me problems about 3 months ago it started with having to get a new alternator and come to find out my high pressure power steering line was leaking on the old alternator which caused it to fail and is still leaking on my new one and about 2 weeks ago my headlights, radio, 12v cigarette lighter, and my driver power seats stopped working and my fiance decided to hook up the lights direct and its causing my battery to drain and my car to shut down. Please any advice will be very appreciated, and I've also googled and have not found anything yet.

darrylrobert
Year and Model: 2001 v70xc
Australia
darrylrobert

Re: Need Advice

Post by darrylrobert » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:14 pm

fix the power steering leak. the forward pipe nut often comes loose (mine did) and needs tightening. You need a voltage meter to check whats going on with your battery/charging, i doubt a new alternator can fail so quick but covered in hydraulic oil maybe just needs a cleaning

google search "hydraulic oil destroy a alternator"

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: Need Advice

Post by SuperHerman » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:25 am

Fix the leak.

Next check your fuses, both under the hood and on the dashboard door side panel.

Keep your fiance away from your car unless s/he are fixing the leak and checking replacing fuses (and maybe a relay).

You risk damage to the CEM, engine fires, power steering rack/pump, alternator and other areas if you don't fix the leak.

Wouldn't hurt to disconnect the battery after the leak is fixed and spray down the alternator with electrical connection cleaner - then let it dry overnight before you reconnect the battery and put it back into operation.
These users thanked the author SuperHerman for the post:
June