Amazon Black Friday deals
IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Swap head from turbo

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Ellyatts
Year and Model: 2006 V70R

Swap head from turbo

Post by Ellyatts »

I have 2005 s60 non turbo 2.5 dual vvt.
Head bad, valves bent
Can I use 2.4 turbo head with single vvt if I swap valve cover from the s60? Basically use core of the 2.4 and use cams, vvts and valve cover.
Thanks
SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90

Re: Swap head from turbo

Post by SuperHerman »

Here is how I see it - you have bent valves fix the valves.

Reasoning is - either way you really should plane the head. Either way you really should change the valve stem seals and lap the valve seats (unless it is a really low mile head). Either way you need a head gasket and a bunch of new seals and gaskets. Usually it is cheapest to buy the entire set which includes the valve stem seals. I wouldn't put any used head on a motor without having it planed or planing it myself and doing a leak test/examination for cracks.

If you own the 2.4 head already - cross reference the part numbers for the valves as they may be a straight swap.

I don't see a cost savings - I do see you able to sell the 2.4 head w/o valves if you keep the head, cam and cover married.
Ellyatts

Post by Ellyatts »

Yes i would agree. I just have this V70 with blown rod out side. Car was running perfect before that.
I would plane the 2.4 head, just last one we had done cost $599 to do the valves.
How would you cross reference the two engines and heads? VIN numbers or are there numbers on the valves and head.
Thank you for your quick response.
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

No you can’t

The cam cover is machined as a single unit with no cam bearings, the cams run on matched machined surfaces in the cylinder head and cam cover.

You have to keep these together.

Jimmy might be able to give you an idea of odds of a mismatch working.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
Ellyatts

Post by Ellyatts »

Never thought of that, makes total sense machined as single unit. Thank you.
I have a 2.5 head with dual vvt off a t5 I can use. Still taking to machine shop to test and plane head and valve seals.
I noticed the lifters from the non turbo 2.5 were not self priming? And dry inside?? Just curios
How do they adjust? I did number them in case I have to use original head.
Sorry for so many prob “dumb” questions” to you guys. I just love these cars and enjoy working on them. Learning as I go
Thanks again
SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90

Post by SuperHerman »

Correct - the head, cams and cam cover are married - that is why I suggested just using the valves and trying to sell the V70 head without valves.

There is a great write up on the forum where a member worked through the process of refreshing the head. He posted pictures, technique and tools along the way.

If your head is bad only because the valves are bent the best approach is to replace the valves that are bent. Do a part number search for the S60 and the valve numbers for the exhaust and intake - then cross reference with your V70. I believe they are a match.

You can buy the tools needed for under $50 to do the valve work and lapping - machine shops here in MN charge about $100 to plane a head and clean it.

The lifters are solid - there is no adjustment (at least on the heads I have worked on).
Ellyatts

Post by Ellyatts »

Thank you again for the help. Taking your advise and just rebuild the existing head. I like doing things proper.
I have seen the posts on lapping the valves. Think I’m gonna give it a shot and have the head machined and checked. Yea my guy is about $100 bucks for that as well.
Again very much appreciate your guidance.
Get this s60 done and sold and get that performance tune for one of my R’s 👍
I’ll get back on here and make post for suggestions on the tune and cat delete
Thanks again
Paul