IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Does this cheap XC90 look OK to you?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
instarx
Year and Model: V70 XC SE, 2000
Has thanked: 0
instarx

Does this cheap XC90 look OK to you?

Post by instarx » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:42 am

HI People!!!! I'm baaack. :evil: :). I no longer have my much loved 2000 V70XC, but do not worry it is still running and making itself useful. I gave it to an out-of-work friend who badly needed a car. He loves it. He kind of rolled his eyes at "station wagon" but after having it for a month he is a total convert to wagons. I've created a Volvo wagon fan!

My question is about a different Volvo I am thinking of buying.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/ra ... 54006.html

Because of the coronavirus I need a box-hauler to drive one 200 mile round trip a week to pick up inventory. What do you think about the oil leak? Is this just an inconvenience as the seller claims? If this were a V70 I would know what to look out for, but is there anything specific to XC90s I should look at?

I realize $1,800 isn't a lot of money but I don't want to throw it away either. I'm trying to get interior pictures.

Anyway, good to be back.
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Q2 - if I could marry this car and have car babies with it I would!
2011 XC60 - sold
2000 V70XC - given to a friend, wish I still had it.

Masscomguru
Year and Model: 2008 XC90
Masscomguru

Re: Does this cheap XC90 look OK to you?

Post by Masscomguru » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:24 am

If it’s been leaking for a while, that alternator will be toast soon. Also, the valve covers can seep over time and then just let loose one day. Unless your going to fix that I wouldn’t bother.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:03 pm

There is a post on the forum from a site sponsor listing all the parts needed to complete the job. https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/v8-ti ... -list.html

There is also a video on line going through the process. It says 16 hours, but doesn't look that bad of a job - just takes time.

I would say if the car is in good condition and the tires are in good shape I would go look at it and drive it. Then decide if you can handle the repair yourself and are willing to pay for all the parts. First things first - the car has to pass normal XC90 inspection if this is a green light then consider whether you want to tackle the repair.

Two things - first, the leak will get worse and needs to get fixed. The V8 is a pretty good motor and they go a long time (this leak and balance shaft bearings on early models are the main issue points).

If you have the time and skill to repair it and the parts total don't exceed your budget - rest of the car being solid it may be worth it.

instarx
Year and Model: V70 XC SE, 2000
instarx

Post by instarx » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:24 am

Thanks! That actually doesn't look too bad, especially if the leak is in the front cover. Just time consuming. At least it's on top of the car and not under it! I do have the skill and tools to do this. I normally wouldn't buy a car needing this much repair, but with being stuck at home because of the virus it might not be a bad little project.

I thought it was funny that at the end he admitted he had three bolts left over after he got it back together.
Last edited by instarx on Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Q2 - if I could marry this car and have car babies with it I would!
2011 XC60 - sold
2000 V70XC - given to a friend, wish I still had it.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:43 am

Give it a try, ask him to drive to a meet point to have the transmission well warmed up.
You may also want to listed for any engine rattle https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthrea ... s-affected
But given the miles I would be careful paying that money