IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Can't believe my 02 S40 has such a broken engine.

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.

1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40

jakeb123
Year and Model: S40 2002
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
jakeb123

Can't believe my 02 S40 has such a broken engine.

Post by jakeb123 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:43 am

My 02 S40, 1.6 petrol non turbo engine has some serious issues. I can't believe my first ever car is so broken.

The engine is B4164S2.

The engine has very low compression. I get 120 PSI in ALL cylinders when engine is hot and wide open throttle. And 60 psi when it has cooled off. Adding oil in the cylinders causes it to shoot up to 150 PSI tops when hot.
This could be caused by many things. Worn piston rings, seized piston rings in the grooves, bad valves. My car burns through 1 liter of oil in about 5000 kilometers.
So what? Obviously I have poor performance. This car is supposed to be 109hp but is realistically around 70 probably or even lower. As this is my first car I literally do not know what it is to drive a normal car, I have developed bad habits because I have been compensating for the poor performance.
It also uses upwards of 12 liters/100km in urban areas.

I also get excessive vacuum at times likely caused by a plugged oil trap/breather box. I also suspect a clogged catalytic converter likely caused by the aforementioned problems.

Not only that but...the suspension is totally broken. The shock absorbers are broken and the stability of the car is almost non-existent, it wiggles when it's windy outside.
The 1.6 petrol model's gearbox is also prone to problems( i think it's JB3306 but could be different) as such I am on my second gearbox that is also dying. It has a nasty loud rattle(same as my first) probably coming from the bearings on the input shaft, although I believe it has busted synchronizers as well.

Fuel delivery is also broken as any sudden acceleration causes the car to jerk so violently even so much that the gear can pop out. Or maybe it's not fuel delivery but broken mounts or something within the gearbox, not sure.

My plan of action is to buy another car and disassemble this car to it's most basic parts. I want to know what exactly caused this car to fail this way. I want to inspect the valves, the pistons. Everything. I know nothing about cars, but I will learn as I go, the car is basically broken I can do no more damage than is already present.
I may even pick up the craft of being a mechanic so I can fix my own cars.

alschnertz
Year and Model: 1995 854T
United States of America
alschnertz

Re: Can't believe my 02 S40 has such a broken engine.

Post by alschnertz » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:45 pm

jakeb123 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:43 am
My plan of action is to buy another car and disassemble this car to it's most basic parts. I want to know what exactly caused this car to fail this way. I want to inspect the valves, the pistons. Everything. I know nothing about cars, but I will learn as I go, the car is basically broken I can do no more damage than is already present.
I may even pick up the craft of being a mechanic so I can fix my own cars.
Sounds like a good plan.
'60 PV544, '68 220, '70 145S, '86 745T, '95 854T, '01 S40
'84 Prelude
'06 MPV
'13 Ford Focus SE