IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

what is the difference of the v8 gearbox

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
cookiepusher
Year and Model: 2005 xc90 V8
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Germany
cookiepusher

what is the difference of the v8 gearbox

Post by cookiepusher » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:24 am

a question for all that searched a v8 gearbox. over here in germany it is a thing nearly impossible to come by.
my transmission quit at 340 thousand km now.
i can not imagine they produced a complete different gearbox for a few thousand v8 cars. is it noly the software that is different? or the valve box in the transmission?
can i use later transmision mounted in the 3.2 cars.

or excange my valve block into another tf80-sc gearbox?

did not find any info on the web. you guys know it all....

thank you
stefan

wanderdüne
Year and Model: 2004, 2006 XC90 2.5T
United States of America
wanderdüne

Re: what is the difference of the v8 gearbox

Post by wanderdüne » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:08 am

It's the same transmission, but the mounting points are different. There is no bell housing that one can swap; it's integral to the case. Donor transmission would have to be from another V8 of the same or newer year and the TCM needs to be swapped over. 2008-up are a better design for the valve body.

You said that your transmission is quit; do you know the exact issue?

cookiepusher
Germany
cookiepusher

Post by cookiepusher » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:42 am

hello back and thank you! did not know that about the mounting point. always hoped to avoid taking trans out - the v8 does not have such much play in there. so it is real hard work for days. i like more to spend this time in my garage with the vintage bus and porsches - not with the family hauler ((-:

the first issue is that the diff is worn a little. the angle gear has play on shaft - even with a new coupling piece on trans side. one previeous owner did drive with about one liter oil missing. over here this thing goes about 220 km on autobahn. no situation missing oil is the best (-:

yesterday i drove away from a red light. in front a painful loud porsche turbo so i did not hear what happened. i did not try to race this porsche - only an idiot would try. i had the feeling something made little noise and let the porsche drive away. then i heard ticking, metal noise from front. drove to the sideway, opened the door and found this ticking noice come from the middle of the car. ticking changes with rpm. in front of hte car the noise came clearly from the region where engine and trans meet. i am pretty sure this is the mess. sounds like metal is hitting at one point in there. tick tick tick. sounds like metal. not damped or inside the engine. no light, no errror in vida. so it should be a mechanical issue.

so if i have to remove the trans to find about the noise it makes no sense to remount the worn unit. i have a good used one d5 unit sitting here (got it for free) - may be i can change the diff in. but better would be an exchange part with low miles.

Masscomguru
Year and Model: 2008 XC90
Masscomguru

Post by Masscomguru » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:27 pm

Sounds more like the angle gear let go. The part from volvo for 2005 to 2007 is 36000603 but it looks to be discontinued so it would take some investigation.

wanderdüne
Year and Model: 2004, 2006 XC90 2.5T
United States of America
wanderdüne

Post by wanderdüne » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:36 pm

Does it sound anything like this?:

I was thinking possibly a loose or cracked flexplate. Only thing I could think of that would manifest at idle from there. Hopefully loose, not cracked.

I don't know this transmission well enough to say that it has an inspection plate, or if one would have to remove the starter and inspect through that hole. Keeping in mind that small diameter borescopes with good resolution are inexpensive and plentiful these days online.

It could be an exhaust component as well, or even an engine mount, so not ruling that out.

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
United States of America
ggleavitt

Post by ggleavitt » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:30 pm

"ticking changes with rpm", meaning engine RPM ?

If this is correct, then it's not the driveline, that's wheel rotation. Only odd part is that you suggested you at one point you replaced only the collar when you did a repair on the angle gear, I'm surprised if you would not have had reasonable wear on the input splines at that time.

You're not the first owner, and this is an early model V8 which means old version CB shaft bearing if it's all original and never been reworked. One thing to get out of the way before you run the vehicle again is to check the engine SN, it's on the white label on the engine block right below the PS pump. If this engine is less than 6833, could be the CB shaft needs attention but let's get some information first.

Do you know when the aux belt and tensioner and all the idlers were changed? Alternator and PS pump are original? Anything else engine related get replaced or repaired that you're aware of? I'm interested in the last 6 digits of your VIN, it's your chassis number. Don't need the whole VIN, just the last 6 numbers if you're wiling to post them. Not more than curiosity on my part but if you need to get some parts, it's good to know up front.

If you could provide additional detail on symptoms, someone ought to be able to get closer to the problem area. In the meantime, if this engine is less than 6833 in SN, you might consider NOT running it while you sort out if it's engine or not.

Could well be something else, I was also going in the direction of AWD as well before re-reading the post a few times and noting the RPM comment.

Thanks
2005 2.5T AWD-200k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-130k

Masscomguru
Year and Model: 2008 XC90
Masscomguru

Post by Masscomguru » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:51 am

good call. Here is a good thread on it with sound clips. viewtopic.php?t=87848

cookiepusher
Germany
cookiepusher

Post by cookiepusher » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:45 am

today i started the cold engine. it sounds hareder now. once the rpm drop it is better.
my iphone dropped the sound. make a better video later. but it gives an idea. this noise
came from one moment to another. about 50 meters of driving.
Attachments
xc90v8knock.m4v
(4.6 MiB) Downloaded 19 times

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
United States of America
ggleavitt

Post by ggleavitt » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:06 pm

You're running this engine on LPG or a fuel other than gasoliine? Where the sound is the loudest appears to be right when the microphone is over the top.

It's possible that you're having some vibration that's causing one of the upper manifold runner screws to chatter (loose) otherwise that is the area in which your CB shaft lives (see this link for a good write-up if it is- viewtopic.php?f=10&t=87848#p491723 ). I asked about Engine SN for a reason, can you post that please? Just serial number digits after the zero.

Anybody else care to take a guess?

042520- add link for CB shaft
2005 2.5T AWD-200k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-130k