IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

05 XC70 Fuel Delivery Problems

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

skeeter506
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
skeeter506

05 XC70 Fuel Delivery Problems

Post by skeeter506 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:28 pm

Hello - long time lurker, first time I've asked a question. I appreciate all the knowledgeable folks here and love reading through the threads. So to kick this off, here's some background - sorry if this is long:

05 XC70 163K miles, has been in the family since '08. Never had a problem until last year around 155K, when lots of problems kicked in seemingly at once. The short of this is car died, had it towed to a local indy volvo-only mechanic (well known among volvo owners around here, unfortunately he's retiring). He said CEM, we sent it to Xemodex based on what I read here, I installed fixed CEM, all good for around 5 months.

Fuel pump died - kind of knew this was coming, replaced via FCP Euro. All good for a few more months - fuel press. between 50 and 55 psi, now have a strange crank-no-start problem. I'll give as many details as I can at this point:

1. have zero fuel pressure @ rail. It trickles out when depressing schrader valve. I have not tested it @ the valve behind the fuel filter though. I have a fuel press. gauge, shows nothing at POS II or crank (which is correct based on the schrader valve test)
2. There are no codes, I have access to Vida. Running a fuel pump test out of there I can hear the relay click and the fuel pump spin. When I put the key in Pos II the fuel pump does not kick in, it used to run for a little before starting and I could hear it.
3. have replaced FPS, no luck
4. have swapped a PEM in from another working volvo in the family (06 XC70). no luck
5. Battery is new
6. Fuses are good as far as I can tell

This *seems* like an electrical issue somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can find it. Any pointers - or at least a "jumping off point" would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
05 XC70, 08 XC70, 13 Tundra, 15 JK Wrangler

dalar109
Year and Model: 2007 Xc90 sport
Canada
dalar109

Re: 05 XC70 Fuel Delivery Problems

Post by dalar109 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:00 pm

I have the same problem with my xc90 V8 2007. Did you solve it?

darrylrobert
Year and Model: 2001 v70xc
Australia
darrylrobert

Post by darrylrobert » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:21 pm

Did you install the pump yourself, was it a genuine bosch pump?..

My first attempt i broke one of the pipes trying to squeeze the pump in that small hole, resulted in the car starting but not enough fuel to drive.

I would test the pump is actually working/not blocked/hose kinked/rubbish by jumping the pump wires under the rear seat, have someone checking the relief valve at the same time. The valve near the filter check is a good idea also.

If that fails you may need to re-install the pump..

skeeter506
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
United States of America
skeeter506

Post by skeeter506 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:19 am

darrylrobert wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:21 pm
Did you install the pump yourself, was it a genuine bosch pump?..

My first attempt i broke one of the pipes trying to squeeze the pump in that small hole, resulted in the car starting but not enough fuel to drive.

I would test the pump is actually working/not blocked/hose kinked/rubbish by jumping the pump wires under the rear seat, have someone checking the relief valve at the same time. The valve near the filter check is a good idea also.

If that fails you may need to re-install the pump..
I installed the pump myself along with a fuel filter a few months ago, have done this on another xc70 as well. It's a tricky process routing that hose through the saddle tank even w/a messenger line. Weather permitting I'll pull the pump today and check it out. Thanks for the feedback!
05 XC70, 08 XC70, 13 Tundra, 15 JK Wrangler