Amazon Cyber Monday 2020
IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Air intake mystery

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
Zinnanil
Year and Model: 2012 V50 D3

Air intake mystery

Post by Zinnanil »

I'm sure most V50 owners (maybe C30 and S40 too?) have noticed the Air feed on the underside of the bonnet that appears to push cold air on to the battery?
Personally I find this odd, but I'm sure Volvo know what they are doing.

However, the Air feed to the Airbox has me confused.
Having removed the air box at the weekend and peered down at the pipework, it appears to drop down to the bottom of the engine bay, and go under the area where the headlight is fixed, and up to the edge of the ECU/Fuse box where there is a very narrow opening.

I could be wrong, but this is the only air inlet I can see for the Airbox which seems inadequate.
Is there another area for the air to get in that I don't know about?
If not, has anyone found a better way to get air in from the front of the car behind the grille area?