IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

[2013 XC60] Died while driving Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials for the groundbreaking new Volvo S60 2011+, V60 2015+ XC60 2010-2018.
2013volvoxc60
Year and Model: 2013 XC60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
2013volvoxc60

[2013 XC60] Died while driving  Topic is solved

Post by 2013volvoxc60 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:30 pm

Wife went to the store today and I got a call from here saying the car died while she was driving. She calls her mom, they pick me up, and we jump start the car.

Something is off.

Lights are everywhere. Seeing the ABS, DTSC, headlights, the battery and probably something else I'm missing. What was weird was the power steering was GONE. When I started the car the radio and AC was on and I noticed that the power was fluctuating. Dash would dim and I could just hear it. I turned them off and it seemed to stabilize. After a couple of minutes I felt the power steering come back and I figured it was good to drive (when turning though it felt like the steering wheel would hit a wall for a second before smoothing out). Lights were still illuminated but I figured those would reset or go away.

I start driving and I notice a transmission and headlight message (that was there from the beginning) pops up on the dash along with all the other lights around it. While I'm driving I start to notice the vehicle is not shifting, that's weird. I'm beginning to think this just isn't a bad battery because why would this all be happening? The car is running so the battery should be charging.

When I get near the apartment the power steering goes OUT. Car is running but now it's a BITCH to turn. I get to my parking spot and reverse (crazy tough to do) in for the upcoming tow and guess what? I fucking back in to the pole underneath the covered spot and crack the taillight and scuff up the bumper. :( :cry:

I'll see what the dealership says tomorrow and update. Not looking forward to wiping out the car fund. Oh, and if you've seen my other post - the ac is still putting out a weird vinegary smell after changing the air filter and spraying lysol into the system

2013volvoxc60
Year and Model: 2013 XC60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
2013volvoxc60

Re: [2013 XC60] Died while driving

Post by 2013volvoxc60 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:42 am

Dealer says it's a bad alternator. Replacing it and a new battery works out to 1500. Hooray.