IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Really stiff power steering when turning slow

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the third generation Volvo V70 wagon and XC70 crossover, and second generation S80. Are you an owner? Prospective owner? Get in here and join us! Start a new topic or comment on an existing thread.

2008-2016 V70
2008-2016 XC70
2007-2016 S80

Jamesey
Year and Model: 2009 v70 r design

Really stiff power steering when turning slow

Post by Jamesey »

Hi im new to this forum and I've had for just over a year now a 2009 V70 r design 2.0d the power steering has got worse over the year but so far I've had the fluid flushed out and replaced 3 times , had a new top up bottle fitted due to the filter in there and had a 2nd hand pump fitted .
And when reversing off my drive and turning around slow the steering is really really heavy but as it's stiff I can hear pressure like you can hear when it's on full lock which is strange .
When I go on a drive the steering becomes as light as a feather too light if anything .
I'm trying to eliminate everything before I bite the bullet and replace the rack , my 18" 245 40 18s are at 40 psi so not them .
That pressure swishing noise when it's stiff is what the problem is .
I've been under the car and it's a straight forward hydraulic rack with no sensors or wires anywhere , I've no settings in my control panel for soft med high steering ,
I'm at a bit of a loss really
Any help and experiences would be swell , thanks