IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

New to Volvo

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Caraholic
Year and Model: 2003 S60

New to Volvo

Post by Caraholic »

Hi guys new to the Volvo community I picked up 2003 S60 it was a flood car so i got it for only $300 couldn't pass that up for a car that sill run and drive. So far the bad is the factory alarm module, the sunroof, PCV system, front and rear struts and the radio changes station whenever it wants. The body and paint is in very good condition the interior can use some love but nothing crazy. So of course after a little looking around the internet for more about Volvo's I found out these cars come with turbos in some models and I had to get one without just my luck LOL. So now to the questions 1. what are the differences between the turbo and non-turbo besides the obvious 2. if theres no major differences between the two can I just the factory turbo setup and just swap to the turbo ECU 3. what power upgrades are out there for the non turbo 4. what is a good suspension to go with ($1000-$1500 Range) 5. what are some common failures with volvo I should be looking out for. Thanks in advance
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Re: New to Volvo

Post by abscate »

For a2003 the best way to a turbo upgrade us part out the NA car and buy the one you want

The ECU on a 1999- on Volvo is pinned to the chassis by VIN number so the swap cost you software and cloning fees.

You will have nothing left of $3000 by the time you do a turbo conversion, .my estimate
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
Caraholic
Year and Model: 2003 S60

Post by Caraholic »

abscate wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:52 am For a2003 the best way to a turbo upgrade us part out the NA car and buy the one you want

The ECU on a 1999- on Volvo is pinned to the chassis by VIN number so the swap cost you software and cloning fees.

You will have nothing left of $3000 by the time you do a turbo conversion, .my estimate
Ok that kills that idea
E Showell
Year and Model: V70R '06 AWD Auto

Post by E Showell »

I've run both turbo and non turbo P2 (the platform you have) Volvos. The non turbos have a lot to offer in terms of reduced complexity, i.e., fewer parts to break/service, lack of need to use full synthetic oil and premium gas.

I've never felt the NA cars were inadequate. You'll love the seats. It won't snap your neck off the line, but so what?

Enjoy. The next one can be a turbo.
'98 V70 NA FWD 5 spd, silver sand metallic (sold)
'99 V70 NA FWD Auto, dark blue (sold)
'99 S70 NA FWD Auto, black (sold and resurrected -- Don't cry for me Argentina . . . )
'07 S80 3.2 FWD Auto, Barents Blue Metallic
'06 V70 R AWD Auto, Sonic Blue Metallic
'04 XC70 Ruby Red Metallic
'95 855 auto (sold)
'86 245 manual (sold)
'05 V70 T5 M (totalled)
'06 V70 FWD Auto (totalled)
SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90

Post by SuperHerman »

I agree with E Showell - I had a 2002 S60 non-turbo and it was a great car.
E Showell

Post by E Showell »

For front suspension components, I'd go with Lemforder lower control arms, and I'd use only genuine Volvo sway bar end links. You may need ball joints as well. I don't recall the OE supplier there. Front struts I've not had to change yet on a P2 platform, but Sachs are OEM on the P80 platform and perform fine. PCV components can be sourced from fcpeuro.com. If you buy your replacement parts from FCP, they come with a lifetime replacement warranty. They are a popular supplier on this site for that reason.

The PCV repair can be a bit finicky. For what you paid for the car, I'd let an experienced independent Volvo mechanic handle. The banjo bolts on the PCV hose are a ginormous PITA and if you aren't careful, you can snap the thin, brittle plastic line inside one of the rubber hose casings.

In the meantime, run with dipstick not fully seated to vent some excess crankcase pressure. If the PCV overpressure is not vented/repaired asap, you can blow crank/cam seals and end up with big oil leaks and expensive repairs (like rear main seal replacement).
'99 S70 NA FWD Auto, black (sold and resurrected -- Don't cry for me Argentina . . . )
'95 855 auto (sold)
'86 245 manual (sold)
'05 V70 T5 M (totalled)
Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base

Post by Georgeandkira »

How many miles are on your flooded $300 '03?

One good feature of the non-turbo is the ease with with you can remove the ETM should that become necessary.
The turbocharged versions' ETM is buried within and below the intake manifold.
Just to complete the thought, the early design ETMs wear in a manner which results in the engine rpm hunting rather abruptly. It too is "numerically assigned" to the car so having your ETM rebuilt is the way to go.

A notion on oil if I may. The non-turbocharged engines can use conventional oil but I would not. I'm not alone.
While oils are better than they used to be and many eschew the "fancy synthetics" as excessive or unnessessary, you gotta trust the oil freaks who say waxes and other lowly crud is refined out of synthetics.
It's that crud which is first to become sludgy deposits.

Given the horrors which follow the clogging of a PCV system, I can't see saving the pennies by buying conventional oil for these modern cars. Group 3 (most basic) synthetics go on sale all the time and really do cost just a bit more.

If you run this beast I suggest using either Mobil1 0W-40 European Formula or Castrol 0W-30 European Formula as either is readily available. There are many oils from which to choose. And of course you can stay with the 5W-30 spec.

My car was originally owned by a family in Washington, D.C. While the car was well cared for at a dealership, I have no receipt with the word "synthetic" on it. Too bad.
Also, it may be a moot point as my P2, a 2007, just turned 104K, has no crankcase pressure woes but the glove doesn't suck in either.
People I trust say to replace the PCV system at 100K.

IMPORTANT: Use only the 3 prong Volvo plug for your non-turbo. Volvo part # 8642660.
Avoid headaches. Use any aftermarket plugs in turbocharged cars.

Also, if you find yourself driving this car, consider doing a transmission drain and fill. 4 quarts of CORRECT FLUID covers it and if you see the fluid is filthy and vile, you can establish your course of action be it additional D&Fs or doing a pump out.
E Showell

Post by E Showell »

Just to avoid misunderstanding, I wasn't recommending conventional oil use. Even in NAs I run a semi-synthetic like Mobil 1 at a minimum. I was merely suggesting you didn't need to run, e.g., Redline, a true full synthetic.

Notwithstanding it's advertising claims to the contrary and no apparent legally-recognized criteria for referring to a motor oil as "full synthetic," several sources appear to suggest Mobil 1 is not in fact "full synthetic" as the lay person might understand the term -- i. e., made in the lab versus pumped from the ground.
'95 855 auto (sold)
'86 245 manual (sold)
'05 V70 T5 M (totalled)
chrism
Year and Model: S80 / 2005

Post by chrism »

Georgeandkira wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:17 am
One good feature of the non-turbo is the ease with with you can remove the ETM should that become necessary.
The turbocharged versions' ETM is buried within and below the intake manifold.
Just to complete the thought, the early design ETMs wear in a manner which results in the engine rpm hunting rather abruptly. It too is "numerically assigned" to the car so having your ETM rebuilt is the way to go.
Being a 2003, it “should” have a Bosch throttle which would be plug and play with no coding.
vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70

Post by vtl »

I've had N/A 02 V70, it was awesome! B5244S engine is indestructible, with the proper oil changes it will run beyond 0.5M miles with only valve stem seals replaced.
05 XC70 265k, 16 XC60 45k, 19 Tundra 5k