IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

V70 R awd problems after removing internal dumpvalve

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

Gambler
Year and Model: V70r awd 1998
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Norway
Gambler

V70 R awd problems after removing internal dumpvalve

Post by Gambler » Sat May 02, 2020 2:35 am

Hi, im new to this forum and my english si kinda "meh" so i probably wont have all the technical terms/words right but ill try to explain as good as i can.

I bought a 98mod v70r awd from a local women who bought it new in 98, it has only gone 160k km and looks fine considering the age.
I bought a BSR air intake kit and mounted it, but after that the original dump vale sounds abit wierd (you probably know what i mean xD).
So i bougt a blanking plate (a serious PITA to mount) and a Hybrid BOV ( i have read somewere that it would maybe help abit with stalling problems VS one that dumps everything out in atmosphere).
The turbo was adjusted to 0,8bar when i bought it ( it has a chip) but now after i have put on blankingplate and new BOV the car just starts to vibrate and shake when i get up to max preasure, if i adjust the preasure down it vibrates less, im down to 0,4 now and its almost gone.
All this started after i put on that plate and BOV, the bov wont dump air either, it wont open so the air goes back through the turbo and make that funny sound, i use the same hose that was on the original vale and i also have the instrument inside car on same hose so i know it is vacom on it but it may be a bad vale but that dosnt explaint the vibrations and shaking.
Can it be the chip suddnly turn faulty?
The car runs normal on all other conditions, just not when i get max preassure.

Hope someone here can help :)

Ole

Sommerfeldt
Year and Model: 1996 850 T5
Norway
Sommerfeldt

Re: V70 R awd problems after removing internal dumpvalve

Post by Sommerfeldt » Sun May 03, 2020 2:39 am

Hey!

Where in creation did you find a 98 R with 160k and one owner around here?! Not that I'm envious of that at all.. no sir... :roll: :wink:

Okay, so you can't put a BOV on these, so what you read is right. A BOV would dump metered air into the void, when it should be in the engine. So routing it back to the intake is the way to go.

Anyway, at stock, the R should run about 11 psi (0.8 bar), spiking to almost 1 bar (~13 psi). So it seems to me that there's some shenanigans going on. The turbo pressure likely wasn't adjusted at all, and then I don't understand what the point of the chip tuning was. Could it be that it's not chip tuned? Also, where did you install the BOV?

The most logical thing to do is to put it back to stock, and see if the BOV is actually your issue. It sounds like bad misfiring, or even fuel cut, kind of, and seeing as the BOV is the only thing you've done to it, that's most likely the culprit. Instead of a BOV, I'd recommend either the heavy duty kit recirc kit from iPD, or a piston style valve (ran mine with the first for several years, then changed to a piston style when I turned up the power - both were very good), to keep things as close to stock while still making for better performance.

I still have the iPD kit if you're interested in trying that. I know it's a PITA to revert this to stock, but I think that's the best route. If you're in the Oslo area, let me know if you need an extra pair of hands.

- S
'96 855 T5, R bumper and spoiler, Koni Yellows & blue H&R springs all 'round.

Gambler
Norway
Gambler

Post by Gambler » Sun May 03, 2020 4:13 am

hmm, fist thing first then :P

a woman bought it new in germany in 98 with all kinds of exstra specs and stuff and imported it in to norway in 01/02 and kept it since, found it on finn.no in oslo ;)

it is a recipe on a chip, and i tought 0,6 was the standar preassure and when it was 0,8 with chip.

the original valve did not come of in one piece so thats not possible to put on again :p

but i did take opp the battery and went over some connectors what had vacum/preassure and now the shaking/vibrating is gone and i can do 0,6 again, so maybe it was a failsafe thing after the first spike that went up to 1,3bar.

i had a v70 LPT 193hp 10y ago and that had a open bov and it never was any trouble, thats why i was hoping a hybrid would do great now :P

Edit: if 0,8 is stock i can adjust up to 1bar isj when i have chip?

Sommerfeldt
Norway
Sommerfeldt

Post by Sommerfeldt » Sun May 03, 2020 11:57 am

Nice. Good find - they're getting rare.

Okay, so the stock is definitely 0.8 bar, kicking up to about 0.9 when called for. 0.6 is far too low for an R in any case - that's below baseline for any HPT 850 or V70. I'd expect there to be at least 1 bar if it's been tuned by someone.

Here's the thing. You can't increase boost pressure with a BOV. If you want to control boost pressures without digging into the ECU yourself or getting someone else to do it, you need to use a manual boost controller (MBC), but that's the only way to do it. You can, however, adjust the wastegate tension some, and move the boost curve, so you get full boost earlier. You need to also be careful with that, since that can lead to overboosting if you tighten it too much.

It's a little hard to tell what you actually did, and what actually was the issue, but I'd still recommend getting rid of the BOV and installing an actual recirc valve, stock, iPD or piston style in it where it's supposed to be. Like I said, I have an iPD unit laying around, so let me know if you'd like it.

- S

Gambler
Norway
Gambler

Post by Gambler » Sun May 03, 2020 12:02 pm

okei, does the ipd make a better sound than the original? it just sounds horrible with the bsr intake kit :P

Sommerfeldt
Norway
Sommerfeldt

Post by Sommerfeldt » Mon May 04, 2020 10:18 am

Hehe... no, not really. The iPD kit is basically a sturdier diaphragm and three different springs to choose from.
When I switched to the piston style, though, that made a difference in sound for me at least. Sounded much more immediate, more like a BOV than the recirculation valve.

- S

FLXC90
Year and Model: 98 V70 T5
United States of America
FLXC90

Post by FLXC90 » Mon May 04, 2020 4:47 pm

Going back to a stock air box would be the option for reducing intake "noise" Using a BOV rather than a boost control valve (recirculating) can cause lagging problems upon re-accelerating or during shifts, and definitely keep in mind that boost increases low in the RPM band will cause these motors to bend rods. Does your car actually have a "chip" or is the ECU tuned?
Current Volvos:
1998 V70 T5, 112k sat 5 years, still in mechanical coma (finally at the top of the pile )
2004 XC90 T6 AWD: 186k, 60 on transaxle ( traded in )
1998 POS70 N/A: DD/training aid, 236k but really about 240k, I think...ABS module( passed on to son who sold it)

Gambler
Norway
Gambler

Post by Gambler » Tue May 05, 2020 1:47 am

It says chip in the recipe, and as it is now i have around 0,5 at 2500rpm and 0,8 around 3000

Gambler
Norway
Gambler

Post by Gambler » Thu May 07, 2020 3:33 am

0.3bar drop in preassure from turbo -> intake, is that a bad ic?