Amazon Cyber Monday 2020
IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Lower front engine mount

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
glenautofix
Year and Model: 2005 Volvo XC90

Lower front engine mount

Post by glenautofix »

I'm trying to replace the lower front engine mount on my 2005 XC90 Turbo. I've followed the instructions shown on videos from YouTube, but I'm unable to jack up the engine to remove the old mount. I've disconnected the top mount and the lower mount and removed the nuts and bolt from the lower front mount as the videos have instructed. What else could be preventing the engine from being jacked up enough to remove the old mount? Picture of the lower front and rear mounts is attached.
Attachments
s-l225[1].jpg
s-l225[1].jpg (6.88 KiB) Viewed 136 times
SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90

Re: Lower front engine mount

Post by SuperHerman »

As I recall there is a mount on the passenger side by the tire. There is the torque mount going across the top. There is a front mount near the radiator. Then there are two motor mounts as shown in your picture. Remove the bolts holding all of these and the engine should lift.

When I did mine I lowered the subframe bolts. If I recall the back ones I backed off about 1/4-1/2" and the front ones a few threads short of out. You can do one at a time, with the other three tight, to figure out how far to pull them back. I used a jack to hold the cradle up as a precautionary step.

One more thing, the Driver side rear (pictured ones) is hard to access as there is a few bars in the way. I used a 1/4" or 3/8" extension through the gap and put the socket on after the extension cleared the gap.