IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Noticeable humming with CV boot replacement

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

misha
Year and Model: '97 850 2.5 20v
Serbia
misha

Re: Noticeable humming with CV boot replacement

Post by misha » Sat May 09, 2020 3:49 pm

Those tyres are not for use anymore.
What is DOT stamp on them?
There are DOT 4 digits indicating a week and a year of manufacture date.

Tyres are for use from 8-10years max from production date if maintained properly(regular balancing and rotating).
Last edited by misha on Sat May 09, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'97 850 2.5 20v / fully equipped / Motronic 4.4 from the factory / upgraded with S,V,C,XC70 instrument cluster / polar white wagon
'91 Citroen XM 2.0 SI /fully equipped/mandarine red metallic
History of Volvos in the family:
'71 144 S
'73 144 De Luxe
'78 244 DL
'78 244 DL
'79 244 GLE
'85 340 GLS

5rivers
Year and Model: V70 1998 base FWD
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
5rivers

Post by 5rivers » Sat May 09, 2020 3:50 pm

I tried that option but just could not get the circlip to release - worked at it for a few hours without any luck. Clip kept slipping!

misha
Year and Model: '97 850 2.5 20v
Serbia
misha

Post by misha » Sat May 09, 2020 3:59 pm

I hope that you bought GKN boot or something good aftermarket.
There are lots of unknown aftermarket brands on the market which can't last for a year.
'97 850 2.5 20v / fully equipped / Motronic 4.4 from the factory / upgraded with S,V,C,XC70 instrument cluster / polar white wagon
'91 Citroen XM 2.0 SI /fully equipped/mandarine red metallic
History of Volvos in the family:
'71 144 S
'73 144 De Luxe
'78 244 DL
'78 244 DL
'79 244 GLE
'85 340 GLS

5rivers
United States of America
5rivers

Post by 5rivers » Sat May 09, 2020 4:48 pm

It was the CV boot repair kit from FCP euro....made by GKN :)

5rivers
United States of America
5rivers

Post by 5rivers » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:22 am

A quick update:
A week or so ago, while attempting to remove the bolts that secure the acceleration sensor to the lower front of the front frame I noticed some oil dripping (not much but enough to notice) on the bottom of the transmission housing. I finally got around to taking a closer look at those drips after taking off the front driver's side wheel. I noticed two things: 1) there was definitely some seepage around the axle housing where it is inserted into the transmission housing, and 2) there is power steering fluid leaking from the very brittle lines just before the steering rack.
On the axle, it looks as if it is not all the way in, not completely "locked in", as some would say. I am surmising that this condition (not locked in) would result in some seepage.
My question then is, do I need to pull out the axle? Or is there some way I can tap the axle to see if it will go into the transmission housing any more? Seems like there should not be as much room between the two components as there is now. And I am thinking this could be the source of the humming I have heard since changing the passenger side CV boot. As I recall, shortly after the CV boot repair, enough snow had fallen, creating very slushy road conditions. The car came up close and personal with a small ditch after making contact with the edge of the road - this could have caused the tire problem and slightly dislodged the axle (??), both of which could have created the increased humming sound, and also may have caused a part of the plastic housing to the acceleration sensor to crack and hang loose! The heads to the bolts stripped off as I attempted removal.
I have new control arms to install, but how do I make sure the axle is completely locked in?
Appreciate any thoughts and recommendations!

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:17 am

This is on the 1998 base, right K?

Its a bit hard to describe but when the axle goes in there is a click as the circlip gets squeezed by the housing and you should not see any 'clean part' of the axle shaft. If the circlip hangs up it will be about 1 cm out - quite a bit to see.

You could put a piece of 2x4 on the CV housing and hit it hard with a rubber or even metal mallet to see if it pops in further.

BUT FIRST!!

Check the lower engine mount for collapse - I had a drumming in the right passenger side that I assumed was CVs that was all motor mount putting stress on the axle joint with improper engine mount angle. The passenger axle is pinned to the engine by the carrier bearing so when the engine sags, it pivots the axle, too.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

5rivers
United States of America
5rivers

Post by 5rivers » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:15 pm

Yes, indeed, abscate, it is the '98 V70 base!
I removed the old control arms (they were in really bad shape, like almost no rubber!) and installed new ones, and guess what??? The humming went away! Hooray. Problem solved, except I did notice that one of the tie rod bushings (passenger side) was beginning to deteriorate, and then there are the leaking power steering lines that need my attention as well. Darn good thing I have a parts car to pull those lines which were practically brand new when I installed them a few years back and have maybe about 10K on them before that car was retired. After I change those lines, I'll have to clean up the bottom of the motor and tranny just to make sure there is no more seepage (I'm hopeful).

I might also pull the oil pan, since I'll have the power steering lines out the way, so I can remove the old O-rings and install new ones and clean the inside of the pan.

A few weeks ago, the hood release would not work. It turns out that the ball to the line running to the passenger side latch broke off so just the driver's side was unlatching. What a pita that was. I ended up pulling out the signal light that was loose anyway, and then managed to remove the back of the headlight with a very long screwdriver to gain access to the latch lock. I used the line from the parts car to finangle the ball end into the lock to release it. Talk about needing three hands, let alone a tremendous amount of patience.

Then there's the caliper bolt that just won't come out. It has to come out eventually as the brake pads, and likely rotor, need to be replaced. I will probably have to re-tap that bolt hole. I think I may have screwed it in at a slight angle :( !
And then there's the back bumper that finally gave way to the weight of a neighborhood 5 year old! Rusted bumper holders!

So, there's no lack of work to be done on this old wagon. Did I mention the spark plugs, rotor, and cap??!!! OR the timing belt???
I've been using seafoam in the motor in the hopes of unleashing the wall of caked on oil I can see in the cylinder head when I add new oil. I do not want to remove the cylinder head just to clean it, but that is probably the best route to follow if my continual use of seafoam before an oil change does not have better results.

But, hey, the humming is gone!! :)) I'll take a large dallop of pleasure in resolving that annoyance.
Best to you all for an enjoyable weekend free of car repairs!

abscate
MVS Moderator
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:02 am

Did you retire that other 1998 or do you still have plans to get her back on the road?

I’ve got a lot of 1998 parts harvested from Clarke, the black V70 base NA
Empty Nester
Link To Volvo Glossary

5rivers
United States of America
5rivers

Post by 5rivers » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:19 am

I thought about it. It would still need some transmission work if I brought it back to life!
It would need a starter, front passenger side wheel hub, a power steering motor and hoses, a water pump, timing and serpentine belts, an alternator, front passenger side headlight assembly and glass, rear passenger side caliper...nothing much, eh??!! Turns out my sister needs a car, so I just might start working on it.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:43 am

I’ve got all those parts except the starter from the parts 1998 already harvested

Full 2x Harry’s price to lawyers from NJ, karmic pricing to service persons and family such as yourself
Empty Nester
Link To Volvo Glossary