IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Replacing the timing belt

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
jasonbarrish70
Year and Model: 2009 C30

Replacing the timing belt

Post by jasonbarrish70 »

I've got the car fully disassembled for the task. I am replacing the water pump, timing belt, tensioner and the idler. I got the kit form FCP Euro. I also decided to replace the camshaft position sensors and the cam adjust solenoids. I found out that the tensioner had come apart and was barely supporting the belt. The belt having slipped down was ruining the belt covers and making a mess. Upon aligning the cams I got down to the crank and it wasn't even close. I aligned the crank with the timing mark but the cams are both off. Is it possible to align the cams independently of the crank? I figured I would need the alignment tool so that is my next purchase. I've spent nearly a grand on this project so far including the various tools that I acquired. Any assistance is appreciated.
jasonbarrish70

Re: Replacing the timing belt

Post by jasonbarrish70 »

20200512_160355.jpg
I mean, come on! I know the tensioner is broken, but it BARELY resembles the new part. Really?! And why is it that I can't find any detailed videos or anything related to my specific car? I can find LOADS of stuff pre-2009 and the odd 2012 but not one 2009. I'm being very whiny and annoyed.
jasonbarrish70

Post by jasonbarrish70 »

My other issue is this. The end of the camshaft doesn't resemble any of the other videos and images that I have seen. I'm lost now because the crank is at TDC but the camshaft are both off by at least 15°. I need to realign the camshaft but I'm fearful of jacking it up worse than it is.
20200512_161049.jpg
MoVolvos
Year and Model: 03S80T6~08C30T5

Post by MoVolvos »

jasonbarrish70 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:21 am I've got the car fully disassembled for the task. I am replacing the water pump, timing belt, tensioner and the idler. I got the kit form FCP Euro. I also decided to replace the camshaft position sensors and the cam adjust solenoids. I found out that the tensioner had come apart and was barely supporting the belt. The belt having slipped down was ruining the belt covers and making a mess. Upon aligning the cams I got down to the crank and it wasn't even close. I aligned the crank with the timing mark but the cams are both off. Is it possible to align the cams independently of the crank? I figured I would need the alignment tool so that is my next purchase. I've spent nearly a grand on this project so far including the various tools that I acquired. Any assistance is appreciated.
The link has quite a few minor and major RR for the C30. Not sure if the timing belt replacement will be of help?
Pelican Parts, LLC
Volvo C30 (2007-2013) Technical Articles
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticl ... 0_Tech.htm
Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated
2003 S80 T6
2003 GS300
2003 Odyssey
2008 C30 T5
2019 Atlas SE 4 Motion
jasonbarrish70

Post by jasonbarrish70 »

Wasn't anything new except the photo of the end of the cam matches mine but the response from Nick was less than useless. What was worse is that one pic of the end of the cam is the only other shot that I've seen and IT was useless too. Thanks for the extra article though. I had not seen that one.
jasonbarrish70

Post by jasonbarrish70 »

Well, if you're working on the P1 platform Volvo or Ford, I finally found a really detailed and thorough video that covers this engine. Thank you Angel Car Care, most appreciated.

Stephane
Year and Model: 2009 S40

Post by Stephane »

So happy I found this post. I am also in the process of doing the timing belt on my 2009 S40. The video is great. Now, I just need a good explanation on how to time the VVT gear, because I need to change the seal behind it...
jasonbarrish70

Post by jasonbarrish70 »

The worst part so far is getting the water pump out of the engine bay. With that stupid plastic shroud it's a bloody nightmare. As for the cams, once you remove the belt, the cams can be rotated 360 clockwise so it becomes a nonissue. Ensure the crank is at TDC and set your cams. I do recommend the cam lock just to keep them stable on the belt install. I spent more on tools than I did parts but I've got another 09 C30 and I plan to buy a few more so.....
jasonbarrish70

Post by jasonbarrish70 »

The ONLY way to get the water pump out of the engine bay is to lower the engine to 11.25" from the garage floor. That measurement was taken from the pass side of the oil pan. The engine really looks odd dropped that far but it works and nothing breaks. I raised it back up a quarter inch to clean the block and I'll drop it back down to install the new pump.
Stephane
Year and Model: 2009 S40

Post by Stephane »

Just can't believe how tight it is in there. I had problem pulling the tensioner because the bolt was hitting the fender..

When you say the engine is 11.25" from the floor, I assume that your car is not on jacks stands??

Any place that explains how to time the gear on a 2.4L? Mine has absolutely no play in it. (It doesn't have a raised center hub, it is simply a straight plate (with a blue dot).