IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Replacing the timing belt

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
jasonbarrish70
Year and Model: 2009 C30
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
jasonbarrish70

Re: Replacing the timing belt

Post by jasonbarrish70 » Sun May 17, 2020 9:02 pm

Doh! Yeah, car is sitting on stands. I always use the same height when I work on a car. Sorry about the confusion. Basically, the cv joint boot will nearly touch the control arm. I had to use standard 1/4 drive sockets on the job. Couldn't even use an extension most of the time and had to resort to ratchet wrenches a few times. This job is the first time I used a screwdriver to stand a bolt into a hole because my fingers were serving as a cup to hold the bolt near the hole. Had to do that trick 3 times with the water pump. At one point, my right hand was holding a ratchet and my left arm was hugging the fender as my left hand held the ratchet head against a bolt. Crazy but so worth the experience and savings.

I'm sorry. I have zero experience with the 2.4l engine other than a few youtube videos because everything is so similar. I assume the procedure is identical to the 2.5l though. All I did was get the crank at TDC and then align the cams. I haven't finished my job yet. I'm a lackadaisical worker.

This site has a nice document on the 2.4l that I thought might be helpful.
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/servi ... vin_55.pdf