IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Fortnite, my son, Win10 and Boot Camp

Non-car talk is a place to talk about topics that are not related to cars or MVS.
Forum rules
Disallowed: religion, race, politics, war and disrespect toward others.
Allowed: history, computers, sports, movies, careers, art, music, relationships and the ten million other topics in our lives. Act like the adult you are. Enjoy.
matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Fortnite, my son, Win10 and Boot Camp

Post by matthew1 » Thu May 14, 2020 1:52 pm

Quarantine is the best thing that ever happened, if you ask my son. When he's with me, which is roughly 60%, he's on Fortnite with his friends 10 hours a day. They play squads, and maybe 1 out of 6 matches they win in a pool of 100 players.

As recently as a month ago when they had 3 -- squads are 4 -- they'd want me to take up the 4th position. Now my inquiries are met with ambivalence. They'd just as much go as a 3-squad and be at a disadvantage than have me to make up a full squad. :shock: :? :roll:

Even with three, they're winning around 1 out of every 6, maybe more. They won two in a row a few days ago.

I built him a fantastic Win10 gaming PC in December. I think I've mentioned that here. It's a fast 4- or 8-core Intel running around 4Ghz overclocked, liquid cooled, a $600 graphics card, a serviceable display, and a nice keyboard and mouse. It heats his room.

I'm working on wiring it cat5 to the router for better ping times to the FN server. Apparently, this makes a difference.

He's damn good at the game. I have no hope of catching up now. I was very good at Half Life 1 and 2, and other first person shooters like Quake 3 Arena. But he's far better than I am.

I used to think I had time to catch up. Nope.

FWIW, the game is fantastic. It's popular for a reason.

BTW I installed Win10 on a Bootcamp (Mac hardware) install on an external SSD to get better FN framerates. It improved that about 50%. It was work, though. Anyone who wants help putting BC on an external let me know, especially if you want to put it on a Thunderbolt external.
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]