IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Photo upload attachments are fixed. I broke them inadvertently last night.

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

No start

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Jason73chipley
Year and Model: 2006xc90

No start

Post by Jason73chipley »

Ok I have 2006 Volvo xc90 and I have replaced battery and checked starter and solenoid both seem good ,turn key and the only sound is coming from ,... possibly a fuel pump ,I'm not sure I'll include a pic of it and is constantly engaging . Other wise when I try to crank it bypassing the relay the starter engages and motor turns over but is not actually cranking up just turning over I'm lost at this point
Attachments
The chrome looking piece is constantly  engaging
The chrome looking piece is constantly engaging
wanderdüne
Year and Model: 2004, 2006 XC90 2.5T

Re: No start

Post by wanderdüne »

That's the brake booster vacuum pump. Normal to have it come on to supply vacuum to the system. Longer or shorter duration of run time due to whether your brake booster has a leak or not.

I don't think you can start one of these bypassing anything. Are you getting fuel to the rail when you turn the key? Are you hearing the fuel pump come on for 2-3 seconds when you turn the key to position II? You can temporarily disable the vacuum pump by following the wiring towards the firewall and unplugging the switch there at the top. It's the one with the connector on the top and 3 branches of vacuum hoses connected to the bottom. That might make it easier to hear if your fuel pump is working.

You can work out getting VIDA/DiCE or get a scan tool like an icarsoft i906 to get the Volvo codes read.
Batty251
Year and Model: 2005 Xc90

Re: No start

Post by Batty251 »

You can always get a Volvo Code reader to read the OBDI 2 codes or go to a dealer and ask if any codes are on it.

Better yet just get a normal cheap code reader for a OBDI 2 port and erase the codes on the ECU and then search again. You won't be able to read to codes as just any OBDI 2 scanner won't be able to bring up the volvo codes but atleast if you erase the error codes and re scan and there is no more error codes or anything the OBDI 2 scanner can detect it was just a issue the ECU couldn't process with out the code being erased.

Same thing happened on my 2019 car. Would try to start but wouldn't and would sometimes if you cranked it enough but i just connected the OBDI 2 scanner and couldn't read the errors and the 1 fault that came up as it wasn't in the same language the reader can read but erased it and re scanned and being there was nothing there i started it and it started like normal and no issues pass that.