IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

What is stereo model on 01 v70 t5M? Also need your opinion about this vehicle

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

User avatar
CIK7
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:15 am
Year and Model: 1998 Volvo V70 XC
Location: Oklahoma
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 3 times
United States of America
CIK7

What is stereo model on 01 v70 t5M? Also need your opinion about this vehicle

Post by CIK7 » Fri May 15, 2020 6:54 am

Because my 98 XC is being totaled and despite the fact that I said I didn't want to go newer than 98, I have my eye on a 2001 V70 T5M. Can someone please specify what head unit can be found in the T5 and what speaker setup and amp is there? I looked on the Volvo site but they only specified the base, XC, and R models. Does this speaker system beat a vehicle's (Mazda6, Nissan/Infiniti) factory Bose system? Would the center speaker already be there or would I need to put one in?
On a side note I would like to get any and all opinions you have about this T5 model. As stated in my signature I used to own an 01 V70 base.
1998 V70 XC black ($1K trade, Mi:144/149K, immaculate engine, totalled 5/2/20)
1998 V70 XC white ($50 cash, junk, donor for my black XC)
2001 V70 Ba white (sold)
2009 Impala LT 3.5L (sold)

Plans for my 98 XC: 16T/18T, P2 M66 swap, logo/badge delete excl grille

User avatar
abscate
MVS Moderator
Posts: 21081
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Location: NYC, ALBANY NY
Has thanked: 317 times
Been thanked: 982 times
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: What is stereo model on 01 v70 t5M? Also need your opinion about this vehicle

Post by abscate » Fri May 15, 2020 7:42 am

It’s either the 403, the 613, or the 803

On;y the 803 came with the center speaker, and the T5 version could be ordered with either stereo package

Often people swipe the 803 when they resell, so what’s in the car now might not reflect the build sheet

Ask seller to snap a dash photo to confirm

Nothing Asian will beat my E Power Biggs organ in Evita...thanks Evan.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

User avatar
oragex
Posts: 4818
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 6:20 am
Year and Model: S60 2003
Location: Canada
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 266 times
Contact:
Canada
oragex

Re: What is stereo model on 01 v70 t5M? Also need your opinion about this vehicle

Post by oragex » Fri May 15, 2020 8:48 am

On a T5 I would expect to have the higher 803 with amplifier, double front door speakers, and dash speaker, but no rear sub. Look inside the trunk for the sub connector it it happens to have been prewired. I don't know about the bose systems, I think these 803 are good but may not blow away people who are used to powerful aftermarket systems. The 803 front speakers are also quite fragile, and the amp is under the right front seat and exposed to water from boots, snow, etc. By the way, many T5M have seen quite some action, so hopefully it was not abused. You also have the fragile and expensive throttle body on the 01, and the clutch fails at the internal slave cylinder = engine out + new clutch & pressure plate. Look carefully around the struts tower for any trace of surface rust, it rusts from underneath and kills these cars
These users thanked the author oragex for the post:
CIK7

User avatar
CIK7
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:15 am
Year and Model: 1998 Volvo V70 XC
Location: Oklahoma
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 3 times
United States of America
CIK7

Re: What is stereo model on 01 v70 t5M? Also need your opinion about this vehicle

Post by CIK7 » Fri May 15, 2020 2:39 pm

oragex wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:48 am
On a T5 I would expect to have the higher 803 with amplifier, double front door speakers, and dash speaker, but no rear sub. Look inside the trunk for the sub connector it it happens to have been prewired. I don't know about the bose systems, I think these 803 are good but may not blow away people who are used to powerful aftermarket systems. The 803 front speakers are also quite fragile, and the amp is under the right front seat and exposed to water from boots, snow, etc. By the way, many T5M have seen quite some action, so hopefully it was not abused. You also have the fragile and expensive throttle body on the 01, and the clutch fails at the internal slave cylinder = engine out + new clutch & pressure plate. Look carefully around the struts tower for any trace of surface rust, it rusts from underneath and kills these cars
Is the clutch and pressure plate inside the transmission? Is this a vehicle known for a faulty manual transmission? I know the 01, if not newer years, have a faulty Aisin auto transmission that starts showing wear 170k-200k miles. The 01 base I had had the same faulty shift solenoid as the 01 base did that I test drove in Oklahoma City. I will check for rust. The dealer says this has not been a North vehicle, but I will check for rust.
1998 V70 XC black ($1K trade, Mi:144/149K, immaculate engine, totalled 5/2/20)
1998 V70 XC white ($50 cash, junk, donor for my black XC)
2001 V70 Ba white (sold)
2009 Impala LT 3.5L (sold)

Plans for my 98 XC: 16T/18T, P2 M66 swap, logo/badge delete excl grille

User avatar
darrylrobert
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:25 am
Year and Model: 2001 v70xc
Location: australia
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 7 times
Australia
darrylrobert

Re: What is stereo model on 01 v70 t5M? Also need your opinion about this vehicle

Post by darrylrobert » Sat May 16, 2020 10:57 pm

yes the clutch slave is inside the bellhousing. My 2001 xc70 clutch pedal can feel harder than normal on first press only on hot days, maybe just fluid change i hope. gearbox is M58L im using redline MTF and it shifts okay, but its not like a new gearbox. I driven new cars where you can shift gears with two finger pressure, a 20 year old gearbox you sometimes need alot of patience, especially reverse.

User avatar
CIK7
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:15 am
Year and Model: 1998 Volvo V70 XC
Location: Oklahoma
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 3 times
United States of America
CIK7

Re: What is stereo model on 01 v70 t5M? Also need your opinion about this vehicle

Post by CIK7 » Sat May 16, 2020 11:28 pm

darrylrobert wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:57 pm
yes the clutch slave is inside the bellhousing. My 2001 xc70 clutch pedal can feel harder than normal on first press only on hot days, maybe just fluid change i hope. gearbox is M58L im using redline MTF and it shifts okay, but its not like a new gearbox. I driven new cars where you can shift gears with two finger pressure, a 20 year old gearbox you sometimes need alot of patience, especially reverse.
I don't mind the pressure. What do you mean bellhousing? Is the M58 a bad transmission or not? Im due to look at this car Tuesday or Wednesday. I need clear answers asap.
1998 V70 XC black ($1K trade, Mi:144/149K, immaculate engine, totalled 5/2/20)
1998 V70 XC white ($50 cash, junk, donor for my black XC)
2001 V70 Ba white (sold)
2009 Impala LT 3.5L (sold)

Plans for my 98 XC: 16T/18T, P2 M66 swap, logo/badge delete excl grille

User avatar
abscate
MVS Moderator
Posts: 21081
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Location: NYC, ALBANY NY
Has thanked: 317 times
Been thanked: 982 times
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: What is stereo model on 01 v70 t5M? Also need your opinion about this vehicle

Post by abscate » Sun May 17, 2020 3:56 am

Volvo ( BorgWarner) makes great transmissions, your experience will be dictated by how it has been treated over its life, not its design
These users thanked the author abscate for the post:
CIK7
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

ignatz
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 6:23 pm
Year and Model: 2002 V70t, 2001 V70
Location: Birdsboro Pa.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times
United States of America
ignatz

Re: What is stereo model on 01 v70 t5M? Also need your opinion about this vehicle

Post by ignatz » Sun May 17, 2020 6:32 am

I had a stick shift 2001 V70 t5 and It worked great. I changed the oil using Volvo gear lube, and also bleed the clutch fluid twice. With maintenance like that and being 60+, I was hoping to own it for many years. Someone ran a red light and totaled the car.
BTW, my T5 wagon had cloth seats, fog lights, no winter package and Metis 16" wheels. Mine had the 613 radio. I loved the cloth seats even though they didn't have seat heaters.
98 S70 T-5

User avatar
CIK7
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:15 am
Year and Model: 1998 Volvo V70 XC
Location: Oklahoma
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 3 times
United States of America
CIK7

Re: What is stereo model on 01 v70 t5M? Also need your opinion about this vehicle

Post by CIK7 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:11 am

ignatz wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:32 am
I had a stick shift 2001 V70 t5 and It worked great. I changed the oil using Volvo gear lube, and also bleed the clutch fluid twice. With maintenance like that and being 60+, I was hoping to own it for many years. Someone ran a red light and totaled the car.
BTW, my T5 wagon had cloth seats, fog lights, no winter package and Metis 16" wheels. Mine had the 613 radio. I loved the cloth seats even though they didn't have seat heaters.
Did you not ever have any problems with the T5? How long did you own it?
I'm sure it was a Frankenstein (no offense) because I'm 99% sure that (rare) cloth only came on the base NA model. The one I'm looking at has leather, heated seats, winter package, Metis 16" wheels, fog lights. It is tan interior on silver. Someone said the T5 normally comes with the HU-803, and considering this T5 has all options, I'm willing to bet it has the HU-803.
1998 V70 XC black ($1K trade, Mi:144/149K, immaculate engine, totalled 5/2/20)
1998 V70 XC white ($50 cash, junk, donor for my black XC)
2001 V70 Ba white (sold)
2009 Impala LT 3.5L (sold)

Plans for my 98 XC: 16T/18T, P2 M66 swap, logo/badge delete excl grille

ignatz
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 6:23 pm
Year and Model: 2002 V70t, 2001 V70
Location: Birdsboro Pa.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times
United States of America
ignatz

Re: What is stereo model on 01 v70 t5M? Also need your opinion about this vehicle

Post by ignatz » Sun May 17, 2020 3:23 pm

I had it for about 50K miles. Years back, while looking for a replacement T5M, I found 2 others with cloth seats, similar options and both stick shift. Also years back, I drove down around Baltimore for used 17" Amalthea's. The guy I bought the wheels from went nutz over the odd options on my car, wishing he owned the car. Sadly, the car got hit hard in the front end.
98 S70 T-5

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post