IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

turbo hoses

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
lasseamager
Year and Model: volvo 2002 s80 t6

turbo hoses

Post by lasseamager »

Hello everyone
I got this " problem " my hoses to tcv ....red and blue. IF the blue is connected to the intake right after the MAF , and the red on top of engine where the two pipes gets to one , THEN i will only get 0,4 bar of pressure BUT if i switch these to ( red and blue ) i can get around 1 bar . why do i only manage to get 0,4 when everything is connected proberbly ? is there something wrong ( obviously there is ) but how can it be ? i pressure checked my wastegate actuators and everything seems fine , did also adjust em .....how do you guys adjust em ??? i have a new tcv on, soo it SHOULD not be that . i noticed that if i do a pcv test, the one with the glove over the oil filler cap , then it dosent get sucked in the engine !!! hope anyone can help me a bit here
SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90

Re: turbo hoses

Post by SuperHerman »

Let us start by forgetting about your boost numbers. What is the issue with the vehicle? Any lights or engine codes you can share.

On my XC90 T6 when I reversed the hoses I would get killer boost - thing was a rocket - then it would over boost code. So yes, reversing the hoses will allow more boost - but you could blow your engine. The computer is doing its work in the background.
lasseamager
Year and Model: volvo 2002 s80 t6

Post by lasseamager »

I did get overboost . I noticed or...looked at diagram and so, and saw the oneway valve from the " blowoff " was putted the wrong direction. That helped alot BUT the biggest help was switching the brand new tcv out with one i got from scrape. I do need to look at my pcv system though.... i did not have any codes ! Wich i dont understand
SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90

Post by SuperHerman »

I only coded when I was in over boost range. I could drive the car for hours and if I did not floor it it would not throw a code for the dash to light.
ndphotonl
Year and Model: 2001 S80 2.4T

Post by ndphotonl »

Red > to nipple on the turbo inlet
Blue > to the air intake hose just before it slips on the turbo
Yellow > to wastegate actuator

I added some photos which I shot for extra clarity :)

Where the red hose should go to
ImageVolvo S80 2.4T Cleaned Turbo Coldside by Andy Ramdin, on Flickr

Where the blue hose should go to (one of the 2 smaller nipples)
ImageVolvo S80 2.4T OEM vs Do88 Turbo Intake Pipe by Andy Ramdin, on Flickr

Where the yellow hose should go to (the most right nipple on the turbo on the right)
ImageVolvo S80 2.4T TD04HL-16T vs 13T turbo by Andy Ramdin, on Flickr
Volvo S80 2.4T Wasa Limited Edition
Blog / FlickR / YouTube channel
ndphotonl
Year and Model: 2001 S80 2.4T

Post by ndphotonl »

Make sure the hoses are connected properly. 0.3-0.4 bar is wastegate pressure, if you have a 2.4T/2.5T, it should boost to about 0.6 bar. If you see 1.0 bar and then it cuts to limp mode, then your wastegate actuator isn't functioning properly (the actuator should open the wastegate). If you have a T5, then it should boost to 1.0 bar (if I am not mistaken).

2.4T/2.5T have a wastegate which starts to open at 0.3 bar, the T5 has a wastegate which starts to open at 0.5 bar (correct me if wrong).

I had the issue in vice versa, I couldn't boost more than 0.3 bar. After I replaced the wastegate actuator with a new one, the car was back to it's 0.6 bar. As my 2.4T had 300.000kms, the spring in the actuator lost it's tension.
Volvo S80 2.4T Wasa Limited Edition
Blog / FlickR / YouTube channel