IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

annual my C30 GT needs help thread :( CV Boot!

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
Jamessh1
Year and Model: 2012 C30 GT
Been thanked: 0
Canada
Jamessh1

annual my C30 GT needs help thread :( CV Boot!

Post by Jamessh1 » Sat May 16, 2020 8:57 am

i received some great help last year when i needed help solving a long term CEL problem that arose from a botched alternator replacement (Evap canister purge valve hose was installed backwards).

fast forward to yesterday, as i attempted to change my C30 GT oil and rotate tires for the first time. I was able to successfully complete both but noticed a leaking inner CV BOOT on the passenger side :(. Car has just over 40K miles and is summer driven only...very disappointing. i am going to attempt a boot replacement only and find 2 part #s 31256013 and 31256017 that are listed for my car..can anyone advise which would be needed for my 2012 C30 (passenger side, inside boot, manual transmission).

if anyone can advise on the part i need, and provide any reference material for the boot change (i found three axle change videos on youtube, only one was worthwhile) it would be very much appreciated.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w_sL27 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hwzJ-n ... sp=sharing

thanks in advance for taking the time to view this thread. if anyone wants to see pictures or hear the exhaust on the limited edition C30 GT I would be happy to oblige!

Jamessh1
Canada
Jamessh1

Re: annual my C30 GT needs help thread :( CV Boot!

Post by Jamessh1 » Sun May 17, 2020 4:41 pm

Update!

I once again reached out to my “ghetto” mechanic, the one that yielded a two summer cel after reversing the evap canister purge valve hose when he had my alternator rebuilt. I bought an after market inner boot but after dislodging the axle (disconnected the strut and control arm and the axle came loose
on the outside), one of the stabilize links got busted and it became clearer that getting a new inner boot might be best. The axle popped right out of the inner housing, no need to fully remove the axle from the transmission Axle appeared to still be in fully functioning order and both boots were replaced along with the busted stabilized link. It cost me roughly $70 USD Labour and about $65 USD For parts. Hopefully that is the only major car expense this summer!

Jamessh1
Canada
Jamessh1

Post by Jamessh1 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:22 pm

Things go from bad to worse with my installations. Both CV boots were changed with available, local, aftermarket boots (with new grease, clamps). The outer boot has sealed nicely with the clamps, no leaks, no issues. The inner boot was leaking badly after initial installation, on the end that mounts onto the tripod casing (for lack of a better word). This housing isn't even circular which only appears to create further issue in getting a proper seal. We removed the "ear" cv clamp and replaced it with a basic duct clamp instead. After driving another 20 or so kms it was still leaking. More turns were applied to the clamp but yet again, it's still leaking grease. I have ordered an oem inner boot - not sure if it's shape is any different, or if anyone has any experience they can share on how they got an adequate, leak-free seal on the inner boot.

Really need some ideas here before the boot arrives next week. I very much appreciate anyone that takes the time to view and supply guidance.

I have three pictures attached, one with my finger touching where the boot meets the edge of the tripod housing. Not sure if it is too far onto the housing, not far enough onto the housing......HELP :(

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fzYxb_ ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hNsOF9 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YY_3Uq ... sp=sharing

MoVolvos
Year and Model: 03S80T6~08C30T5
United States of America
MoVolvos

Post by MoVolvos » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:21 pm

-
I recently read somewhere that some Volvo boots are round on the outside but is square on the inside. If you can imagine an exaggerated four point socket. After being unable to resolve the leak the person purchased a Volvo boot and no problems thereafter.
-
Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated
2003 S80 T6
2003 GS300
2003 Odyssey
2008 C30 T5
2019 Atlas SE 4 Motion