IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Volvo 2.5T AWD 2003 Automatic delay 3 to 4

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

greffel
Year and Model: 2003 S60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Sweden
greffel

Volvo 2.5T AWD 2003 Automatic delay 3 to 4

Post by greffel » Sun May 17, 2020 2:26 pm

Hello
Need some advice what to do next with my beauty :)

I have a delay (increase in revs) when shifting from 3 to 4, every other gearshift is perfect.

I started to replace the B4 servo cover and that did nothing. The old one was the older version but no lose washer.

Then I did a flush of the transmission replacing 16 liters of ATF. The oil coming out was like new :) but still delay in the shift from 3 to 4.
Did the oil counter reset and adaptation reset in Vida also.

Should I wait for the new oil to maybe loosen up some dirt in the system or should I do a Adaptation Relearn

ignatz
Year and Model: 2002 V70t, 2001 V70
United States of America
ignatz

Re: Volvo 2.5T AWD 2003 Automatic delay 3 to 4

Post by ignatz » Mon May 18, 2020 2:45 am

I'd just drive it and let it relearn. Try to "feather" the gas pedal, if you think your on a section of road where a shift flare might happen. Hopefully it will get better. I read somewhere that the relearning can take some time.
98 S70 T-5

firstv70volvo
Year and Model: V70 T5 2001
United States of America
firstv70volvo

Post by firstv70volvo » Mon May 18, 2020 9:59 am

greffel wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:26 pm
Hello
Need some advice what to do next with my beauty :)

I have a delay (increase in revs) when shifting from 3 to 4, every other gearshift is perfect.

I started to replace the B4 servo cover and that did nothing. The old one was the older version but no lose washer.

Then I did a flush of the transmission replacing 16 liters of ATF. The oil coming out was like new :) but still delay in the shift from 3 to 4.
Did the oil counter reset and adaptation reset in Vida also.

Should I wait for the new oil to maybe loosen up some dirt in the system or should I do a Adaptation Relearn
Read about the difference between control module adaptation CMA and reset adaptation RA as explained by Botbasher. This is very good information about the different adapt modes.
I recently rebuilt the transmission in my car and only did the reset adaptation, which was recommended by the shop and helped but the major changes with the new transmission parts I still don't have a perfectly shifting transmission so I'm going to do a CMA when I get my Vida/Dice tool. My transmission shifts very good except for one shift under certain conditions, there's a slight shudder during the 3 to 4 shift under heavy throttle so I'm going to do the CMA to see if this helps. I'll let you know the results.
The 3 to 4 shift requires precise timing between releasing the 3rd gear brake band and applying the 4-5 clutch and in my case with a new brake band and clutch frictions the reset adaptation may not have been enough to compensate for the changes(new parts).

My suggestion for you would be to try doing the control module adaptation if you haven't already done so although I'm curious how your problem started. Did the 3-4 delay/slipping begin gradually or was there any changes made to the transmission and the problem started after that? I'm just wondering if the problem may be due to a badly worn transmission (4-5 clutch) or was did the problem begin suddenly after any transmission changes. The CMA may help as long there's not mechanical/worn out problem with the transmission.

this is very good information
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=81188&start=10

greffel
Sweden
greffel

Post by greffel » Mon May 18, 2020 10:35 am

Thanks for your interesting reply.
My problem did begin gradually, so I googled and found out about the B4 servo cover. Changed that part and the problem was still there. :(
Couple of weeks after that I flushed the transmission and I even added Liquid Molly pre flush before flushing it. (hoping fore a really nice clean flush)
So after the flush still the same problem, or maybe even worse. It has the worst delay shifting 3-4 on 30-40% throttle. If I accelerate hard the shift is a lot better, maybe even good.
Maybe I will try the CMA or contact Volvo and have a software update. Some people says that it will help.

Is is possible to log something i Vida to get a better idea of the problem ?

firstv70volvo
Year and Model: V70 T5 2001
United States of America
firstv70volvo

Post by firstv70volvo » Mon May 18, 2020 12:08 pm

"If I accelerate hard the shift is a lot better, maybe even good."

To me this is potentially good news because it means it might be more of throttle/load line pressure related problem instead of worn discs. I would think if the discs were badly worn the slipping would get worse under a higher load not better. In this case the control module adaptation may help you out.

greffel
Sweden
greffel

Post by greffel » Sat May 30, 2020 12:40 am

My shifts between 3 - 4 have gotten a little bit better just by driving but I'm not satisfied :)
Has anyone in this forum had great success with a firmware update in this type of car to get a working better shifting gearbox ?

....I have not done the CMA jet so that box of worms still remains to maybe test

ignatz
Year and Model: 2002 V70t, 2001 V70
United States of America
ignatz

Post by ignatz » Sun May 31, 2020 6:58 am

Some ramblings, from my 2002 V70 2.4t.
I bought this wagon about 4.5 years ago with a complete set of extensive dealer service records, but at 125,000 miles, nobody changed the transmission fluid. During the test drive I noticed the transmission wasn't shifting normal, but my wife totaled our 98 S70 t5 and 01 V70 t5m only a month earlier, so I had to get something. (both not her fault)
I started changing the trans oil with Aisin Type IV by drain and fills. after 4 drain and fills the shifting was better, but not great. Mine would clunk into 1st gear at a stop sign when hot and had a 2nd to 3rd shift flare.
I then contacted the dealer who serviced the car from new, and they said they would check the trans programming to see if it was correct. They had the car in the shop for while, drove it and said everything was fine. Handed the keys back, smiled and said no charge.
After that, I changed the B4 servo and changed the fluid to Idemitsu type TLS. The 2nd to 3rd shifts still happened, but were much better after a month or two. And I'm still getting a clunk downshifting back into first, but not as bad as before.
Time goes on and I contemplate pulling the valve body and repairing the three solenoids. As I'm trying to prevent me from a semi-major repair I came up with another plan. I changed the transmission oil to Valvoline Max Life synthetic oil by doing 5 drain and fills using 4 gallons. This has been the biggest improvement and many times I can drive the car 150 miles without a 1st gear clunk and at this time the 2nd to 3rd gear shift flare is completely gone.
Like you, my car developed a 3rd to 4th gear flare, but at this point that might only happen once in 500 miles. I've only had the Valvoline synthetic fluid in for about 3 months, so only time will tell for me. I can take my car for 150 mile round trips, and not have one problem, but at times I get that random 3rd to 4th shift flare. Summer is coming, so 90 degree days and hot transmissions might make mine worse. But right now, my 02 V70 is better than it ever was.
98 S70 T-5