IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2004 S60 2.5T SE - anyone help with an estimate for a list of faults

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

ilmiont
Year and Model: None yet!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain
ilmiont

2004 S60 2.5T SE - anyone help with an estimate for a list of faults

Post by ilmiont » Tue May 19, 2020 1:17 pm

Good evening all,

New here and on the verge of getting my first Volvo, also my first car, although it won't exactly be immediate given the state of the world.

Seeking opinions on a 2004/54 S60 2.5T SE, one of the very first facelift cars. Very attractive spec, with the engine and trim level I've been wanting, and a great price tag attached.

However... there's a long list of faults, as advised by the seller (who does appear to be genuine).

1. Handbrake shoes apparently need doing (handbrake sticks on cold mornings).
2. Steering column squeak and anti-skid service messages, seems to be the clock sensor
3. Clutch master brake cylinder has a minor pressure leak; cruise control won't engage

Recently passed MOT at a garage which the seller says is independent and reputable and who has seen the car for several years. Passed the MOT with all of those faults above present.

Immediately after the MOT, the following issues also appeared, as advised by the seller:

1. Check engine light illuminated; seller's mechanic diagnosed it as crankshaft sensor which has not been replaced (apparently owing to the mechanic considering it to not impact regular use and not having time given the current circumstances)
2. Alarm sensor service messages on the trip computer.

From what I've read about these cars, which is a lot now, the major issues (clock spring, camshaft sensor, alarm system) all seem to be fairly common S60 issues at a certain age, and it looks like everything is failing at the same time.

The car is otherwise in good condition, although I haven't seen it in person yet, obviously, and as I said, it's a very attractive spec and I've got a good gut feeling about it. The seller does seem genuine and has been very upfront about the issues.

Still, I have to ask... would you, bearing in mind that you generally like the car, take a 2004 S60 2.5T SE with that little list of known faults?

And if you would, what would you expect to pay? I'm thinking it's going to need £1,000 - £2,000 put into it fairly soon after buying.

My most immediate concern is the alarm system, as it will be left on the public road so I can't risk the alarm failing and sounding spontaneously. Is that likely to happen?

ilmiont
Year and Model: None yet!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain
ilmiont

Re: 2004 S60 2.5T SE - anyone help with an estimate for a list of faults

Post by ilmiont » Tue May 19, 2020 1:18 pm

Oh and to add to the above - it's about 130k miles and climbing, in regular use and has been since the MOT.

ionianp2
Year and Model: 2004 Volvo s60
United States of America
ionianp2

Post by ionianp2 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:14 am

The alarm siren module is a fairly easy fix. I did it myself. A common failure is the battery which corrodes and leaks over the board.

There are videos on YouTube how to remove it. Easiest way in my opinion is to remove the alarm module by removing the front right headlight and bumper, could be left if your car is RHD. 20' job to do. A matching used one can be fairly cheap $60-$80 (vs $250 new) here, but what I advise is to change the battery in one of these which requires hacking it with a saw. SiRobb has a good video on YouTube for it.

I repositioned it rotated 180 deg so that the battery never leaks on the board again.

As for the rest of the issues I will defer to other Volvo experts.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Wed May 20, 2020 8:53 am

Dont touch. The leak is from the clutch slave cylinder, the complete clutch assembly needs replaced very soon, engine out job, very expensive parts and labour. Thats why he is selling it.