IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Motor stuttering and loss of power

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
squid3083
Year and Model: 2003 xc90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Canada
squid3083

Motor stuttering and loss of power

Post by squid3083 » Thu May 21, 2020 9:58 pm

I have 2003 xc90 T6 2.9l with turbos. The car was working perfect no stuttering that i could notice, then today after starting it, it started to shake a bit just like it was running on 5 cylinders and not taking it's gas, loss of power, I am able to accelerate even go up to 110 km but going up hill or putting the pedal down, not to much power ??? Just surprised that this has happened over night. Will need to take it to mechanic to try and figure out what is wrong in the next few days, but anybody have any idea ???

Got the car in november 2019 it has been running fine since then until this.

thanks

squid3083
Canada
squid3083

Re: Motor stuttering and loss of power

Post by squid3083 » Fri May 22, 2020 12:17 pm

well talked to mecano and 100% sure just ignition pack that died. So ordering it and will replace monday, don't have scanner so will have to do it old way plug unplug see if any difference !!! will confirm.

Talked to 2 guys nobody touches volvo around my place. Had to see further for small garage without going to dealer.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Fri May 22, 2020 2:12 pm

Yes, these can fail all of a sudden, had one going just like yours, upon starting. But it can also happen on the road, less fun, reason why I carry a spare one with tools inside the trunk. It's not that bad to remove it, just the two turbo pipes are a bit annoying. Can also undo the injectors one by one, see which cylinder doesn't react. I would recommend replacing the spark plugs if not yet done, when worn these can cause the coils to fail
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo- ... 16#fitment

squid3083
Canada
squid3083

Post by squid3083 » Sun May 24, 2020 1:41 pm

oragex wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:12 pm
Yes, these can fail all of a sudden, had one going just like yours, upon starting. But it can also happen on the road, less fun, reason why I carry a spare one with tools inside the trunk. It's not that bad to remove it, just the two turbo pipes are a bit annoying. Can also undo the injectors one by one, see which cylinder doesn't react. I would recommend replacing the spark plugs if not yet done, when worn these can cause the coils to fail
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo- ... 16#fitment
Well spent all afternoon on it, found all original volvo coils that had been marked from 1 - 6 in yellow, so not first time somebody is in.
The #4 was loose and lifted about 1/4 inch. Not too good. Checked the plug had carbon on it but seemed good almost new I would say. So decided to change the ignition coil and ... changed nothing even with the tubes for turbo half plugged in.
Did test test after putting in the new coil same, farts when you give it gas.

Unplugged cyl #3 and started the car, same results. Still has some vibration when it starts and shakes a bit and when I give it gas has the same sound.

So waiting tomorrow to put a Snap On scanner on it to see if there are really misfires or something else.

Talked to a friend and he had the similar problem once and it was the fuel filter that was clogged lol

So without codes nowhere to go ... will keep posted

squid3083
Canada
squid3083

Post by squid3083 » Sun May 24, 2020 1:44 pm

If i get some codes I saw on amazon i can get all 5 or 6 for around $180 canadian so in this situation will probably change all of them and not wait to get more failures