IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

ETM (Main Relay) making loud audible clicking sound

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

subzerocarfanatic
Year and Model: 2000 Volvo C70 HT
United States of America
subzerocarfanatic

ETM (Main Relay) making loud audible clicking sound

Post by subzerocarfanatic » Wed May 27, 2020 6:14 pm

I guess I bragged on our C70 to soon,all my friends and neighbors alike have commented on how nice it looks with the top down and how sharp the car is and kudos to you for working on it for over 6 months slowly fixing all the issues.
I bragged on it too much I guess on how well it has been running and drives so well.
Today when I was leaving to go get my wife for lunch it started, ran for a minute then died,when I tried to restart it it would not so much as even make a click or turn over or nothing.I left it alone a while then go back after I cooled off and turn the key on,I notice the ETS light related to the ETM is not lighting up like it always does before starting,then I hear a loud clicking under the hood,it is coming from the blue 31 Main relay,it was clicking so loud I immediately knew where it was coming from and I could feel it when I touched the relay,I pulled it out to stop the noise. I plugged it back in turned key on,same thing so I left it in and unplugged the main harness plug to the ETM to stop it.
Does anyone have any ideas or ever came accross this problem,thought I would ask before breaking out my vida dice.

subzerocarfanatic
United States of America
subzerocarfanatic

Re: ETM (Main Relay) making loud audible clicking sound

Post by subzerocarfanatic » Wed May 27, 2020 10:12 pm

Well it looks like there have been 13 views and no one has any ideas. I will run the VidaDice and let you guys know what I come up with.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Thu May 28, 2020 3:22 am

Break out the wiring diagram and understand everything that powers up that relay before throwing parts.
Simple stuff

Battery new and fully charged ?

History of electrical part of the ignition switch?
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

subzerocarfanatic
United States of America
subzerocarfanatic

Post by subzerocarfanatic » Thu May 28, 2020 11:31 am

abscate wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:22 am
Break out the wiring diagram and understand everything that powers up that relay before throwing parts.
Simple stuff

Yes,finally broke down and got a good battery.I purchased an ACDelco professional AGM,hope it last a while,there were a lot of great consumer reviews on it.I could not find an original Volvo battery.

subzerocarfanatic
United States of America
subzerocarfanatic

Post by subzerocarfanatic » Fri May 29, 2020 10:56 am

Well the vida dice was no help in checking the ETM.I tried the ETM test that it can run normally but the test tab was not lighting up to be clicked on which means it is not communicating with it i assume. The ETM related dash light (ETS) that normally light up to do a check before starting was flashing yesterday then just did not light up at all. The relay is good, i checked it with a volt meter, i checked the socket where the main relay plugs in as well. Pin 86 has 12 volts with key on or off, pin 30 has 12 volts. There was no continuity between pin 85 and 86.I will update my findings and with any luck fix it.

scot850
Year and Model: 2000 V70 R
Canada
scot850

Post by scot850 » Fri May 29, 2020 3:05 pm

Just so I am clear. When you turn the key you get a big nothing? Car does not want to turn over at all?

Don't think this is an ETM issue, sounds more like the immobilizer issue if it is not trying to turn over.

This could be an immobilzer antenna issue or bad key. Have you tried another key? I can't say I have had a P80 key ship fail but it is possible I guess.

If you have not tried yet, use the key and lock/un-lock the driver's door lock a couple of times to re-set the immobilizer.

If t hat does not work, and starting still does not work, then next item to check is the antennas ring. With age they can become brittle and crack or more often the connector for it gets oxidized and just needs cleaning. To get to is yo have to remove the column covers. Be careful as the covers have a couple of clips between the halves that gets brittle and can break if forcing the 2 parts.

Extend the steering column to the maximum before trying to remove it. The upper part is held in place with a rubber strip. They have a clamshell clip/hinge at the rear of the upper part. So once the retaining screws are removed from below, separate the 2 halves at the front, and then lift the upper piece upward at the front and then it will release from the rear.

To remove the lower part you to have to 'massage' it off over the ignition key antenna ring.

The ring has a very fragile hidden clip to remove. Don't sweat it if it does break off. Tape can hold it on if needed.

Clean the electrical contact on the clip and see if that helps.

On the battery, in Canada Volvo uses Interstate batteries. Not sure if it is the same in US.

Neil.
These users thanked the author scot850 for the post:
subzerocarfanatic
2000 V70 R - still being an endless PITA
2006 XC70
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited
2015 Kia Sportage EX-L
1993 850 GLT -Sold
1998 V70 XC - Sold
1997 Volvo 850 SE NA - Went to niece in California - Sold
2000 V70 SE NA - New project and test bed - Sold

subzerocarfanatic
United States of America
subzerocarfanatic

Post by subzerocarfanatic » Sat May 30, 2020 10:19 am

Thanks a lot Neil! I read somewhere the other day about the antenna issue as a possible culprit with another vehicle but never gave it anymore thought. I will check that.I have 2 keys on the ring I was given when I bought it. I will try the other, and to be clear...no it makes no noise of any sort except for the main relay clicking very rapidly.and The ETS light which is related to the ETM is not lighting up like it normally does at key on position.The battery in it was 1 year old and was interstate,had to charge it half the time to get it to start. I am happy with the AGM, It's a group 48 but fits perfect with the OEM battery clip holding it in place. When I unplug the ETM main plug harness the relay clicking stops.Clicking happens soon as key is in position II.

scot850
Year and Model: 2000 V70 R
Canada
scot850

Post by scot850 » Sat May 30, 2020 11:37 am

Now the relay is constant clicking is not normal. I am not an expert on electrical stuff. There are a few guys on here that know way more than me and hopefully they will see your post and chime in. If yo have no luck, try PM'ing precopster (he is in Australia) as he knows a whole lot on these and has helped me in the past.

When you say main relay, can you specify which relay you are talking about and it's position? There is usually a number on the top of the relay and that helps. The fact you are getting anything when you turn the key might mean the antenna ring is ok, but maybe the ignition switch is not (electrical portion). Have you changed that anytime recently?

Neil.
2000 V70 R - still being an endless PITA
2006 XC70
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited
2015 Kia Sportage EX-L
1993 850 GLT -Sold
1998 V70 XC - Sold
1997 Volvo 850 SE NA - Went to niece in California - Sold
2000 V70 SE NA - New project and test bed - Sold

subzerocarfanatic
United States of America
subzerocarfanatic

Post by subzerocarfanatic » Sat May 30, 2020 1:23 pm

I have never touched the ignition.it is the blue relay,#1 i believe in the corner closest to battery in the main fuse box, it controls the ETM among other things.

subzerocarfanatic
United States of America
subzerocarfanatic

Post by subzerocarfanatic » Sat May 30, 2020 7:43 pm

abscate wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:22 am
Simple stuff

From what i gather so far the ECM and the ETM are not communicating with VIDA DICE at all. When i ran the DICE it shows 10.49 volts and when i check battery with voltmeter it shows 12.60. It is a brand new AGM Battery and I have not got the correct charger so I ordered one for it, the NOCO G3500 charger.I thought i was done with electrical issues on this car,it is becoming very frustrating,it is a really nice car and runs and drives so awesome,that is the only reason i continue to keep working on it month after month, hoping one day all will be right and can enjoy it for more than a week without issues!I can understand if it is electrical why run so great all this time then stop.
I would bet money it is related to the ETM because the ETS light was blinking very dim and faint today when i had the vida dice hooked up and it has been out all this time since no start.