IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2006 Volvo XC90 computer swap

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
jubba32
Year and Model: 2006 xc90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
jubba32

2006 Volvo XC90 computer swap

Post by jubba32 » Thu May 28, 2020 12:10 pm

Hi folks. Doing some research and need some opinions. Car is 2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T. The original engine was damaged and had to be replaced. When we replaced the engine we brought over the ECU with the new engine as we had lost the original ECU. (Dont ask) Car wouldnt start and throws a ECM710B error code. We then discovered that the CEM has been water damaged and was non-functional so we picked up a used CEM off eBay. We then sent the new (used) CEM to some guys in Staten Island to have it programmed. However the old CEM could not be read and so the new CEM was programmed based off the VIN I believe and synced with the ECU. Either way, a couple hundred bucks later and car still won't start. I live in Kingston, Jamaica and unfortunately we do not have a Volvo dealer here. So we took it to a small Volvo shop and here's what we've been told: I need to locate a donor volvo and take the ECU, TCM, CEM, DIM, Brake Control Module and steering column (and keys) from that Volvo and replace all of these modules in my car. So far, I've been able to locate a donor vehicle with all the parts. A very helpful guy in another forum suggested that I must also replace the the DDM and PDM for the door windows to wrk, the UEM (rear view mirror) for the remote locks/alarm to work you, the REM for the rear lights, rear door locks, fuel pump to work you, the AUD for the radio/cd to work and the DEM for the AWD to work. I can get all these parts for under $700 which works out great for me because Volvos are super rare and super expensive here. And buying a Toyota is not an option. My question is this:

1. Can I get by with buying only the steering column, ECU, DEM, TCU, BCM and DIM and have the other parts (UEM, DDM, REM etc) programmed to match once I get them? Or should I just go whole hog and grab all these parts?

2. When I'm done, assuming everything else on the car is working, will this brain transplant get up and running? Thanks for the help.

yagger
Year and Model: S60 2005 2,5T
Belarus
yagger

Re: 2006 Volvo XC90 computer swap

Post by yagger » Thu May 28, 2020 4:31 pm

Horrible.
I am sure, you not need to buy all this stuff. Much faster and easier to get our online service. For this you have to get DiCE and call us.
Volvo electronics and programming.Yagger&Doublebug - our experience invaluable.
Aftermarket Online Data Transferring Service for Volvo Pass: total