IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

VIDA/DICE in Bay Area

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
eadt
Year and Model: XC90 2006
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Andorra
eadt

VIDA/DICE in Bay Area

Post by eadt » Fri May 29, 2020 8:52 pm

Hi!

I am a proud owner of an 06 XC90 with 140k miles. The car occasionally displays the Anti Skid message in warm weather when turning at max to the left. Then it takes 15 minutes or so to go off.

I know it most likely is the steering wheel sensor, and I am thinking about buying a replacement one. However, I would love to make sure this is indeed the part that is bad (with VIDA/DICE) and also potentially use VIDA/DICE to recalibrate the new unit.

If anyone in the area has the diagnostic hardware and is willing to lend it to me for a couple of hours (or also do it over at their place with social distancing) that would mean the world to me. I am a student and don't feel like spending hundreds in a Volvo Dealership.

Best,

kallekula
Year and Model: S70 2000
United States of America
kallekula

Re: VIDA/DICE in Bay Area

Post by kallekula » Fri May 29, 2020 9:39 pm

pickup a few use ones from the boney yard and try em out. cant be more than a few measly bunks if that's what you think is kaputtski with it.
EDIT: and start saving up for a vida/dice, worth it's weight in gold once you got it running and gets a a hang of how to use it

BMW 540i 2002
S70 Base 2000

wanderdüne
Year and Model: 2004, 2006 XC90 2.5T
United States of America
wanderdüne

Post by wanderdüne » Sun May 31, 2020 6:03 pm

You can search "VIDA image download" online and download the software, then purchase a DiCE clone from ebay or wherever. You would use the downloaded software instead of the CDROM that comes with these DiCE clones. Alternatively, you can download VIDA for a reference source and buy a scanner like the icarsoft i906 (which is standalone, doesn't work in conjunction with VIDA). This scan tool is capable of reading all the codes and modules and will perform the calibration. I have both and use both depending on the circumstance. VIDA software is a great deal of info even by itself. Using the VIDA/DiCE is a bit of a learning curve, and the i906 is dead easy and you can look up details in the VIDA for codes, repair procedures and parts. Either way; each option is a great investment and is basically the price of a dealer visit, but next time, it's all gravy.

eadt
Year and Model: XC90 2006
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Andorra
eadt

Post by eadt » Sun May 31, 2020 6:08 pm

Hi,

So with the carsoft i906 can I recalibrate the Clockspring (Steering Angle sensor)?

Thanks

wanderdüne
Year and Model: 2004, 2006 XC90 2.5T
United States of America
wanderdüne

Post by wanderdüne » Sun May 31, 2020 6:13 pm

Yes, I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/iCarsoft-systems ... 240&sr=8-2

I don't know if the less expensive i906 on amazon does, you could look at the icarsoft site or call them and see; but the one above does the calibration yes.