IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2002 s80 trans slipping swap or rebuild?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: 2002 s80 trans slipping swap or rebuild?

Post by SuperHerman » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:04 pm

I don't recall which packs get which modifications, but one of them gets two thicker steels and the other gets one or two thicker clutch discs (these discs are from a sister GM transmission) - this is the standard "upgrade" to get rid of the built in soft shifts. I think this upgrade is about $10 in parts which my local transmission shop had in stock. As Aussieviking mentions - check the splines of the 4th clutch hub - a known weak point on earlier models, upgraded on later ones.

I reused my sub-frame bolts and had no issues.

The separator plate is the one you need to inspect - there is a spot where one of the check balls causes damage. It will be clear if you inspect the check ball placement holes. Mine was starting to wear a hole through it. For the side cover gasket - there are two spots where it is rubber that get flimsy. If it is not too bad you could try cleaning it real well and using some RTV in an intelligent manner. Although if it doesn't hold fixing it right is well - you know.

Overall it looks like you are doing a great job and actually enjoying the battle.

bronco
Year and Model: 1998 V70
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:13 am

aussieviking wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:33 pm
Wow this thread took off! I've never seen a 2nd clutch so toasted.

How were the input clutch and 3rd clutch? Also check the splines on the 4th clutch hub, they are known to strip and you lose 4th.

Props to you for your hard work. It's not something everyone wants to get their hands dirty with.
very little wear on 3rd or input clutches they could be put back in as is.

I agree the second clutch is positively roasted the car only has 130,000 miles on it . These people put maybe 8000 of those miles on in the last 18 months .
The filter was filthy and original when I pulled it .

assuming nothing major is wrong in the valve body maybe the cooler is plugged and it was just running overly hot???

There is no trailer hitch to indicate the car ever towed anything and the car is in decent shape , it was not abused in any obvious way by previous owners.

Everything looks original. The rear brakes were when I did them last year for them.

I'm thinking the timing chain is probably original as well i'll tell them (if it ever moves again :D ) to put that on the calendar

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Post by June » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:22 pm

I had a thought; maybe they have been driving in W mode? I have read on here people have the buttons getting sticky from drinks spilled. Or a purse hit the button, or a young passenger pushed it. Most non-car people might not know its on?

The S80 only has the one W button that has the transmission start in 2nd gear. I used it once in my S80 and it seemed hard on the transmission. GM didn't design the 4T60/65 as a dual range transmission.

Just a thought I had as 130K and only the 2nd gear trashed. Still enjoying your thread. Thank you for the photos, look forward to seeing more! June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

bronco
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:20 am

June wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:22 pm
I had a thought; maybe they have been driving in W mode? I have read on here people have the buttons getting sticky from drinks spilled. Or a purse hit the button, or a young passenger pushed it. Most non-car people might not know its on?

The S80 only has the one W button that has the transmission start in 2nd gear. I used it once in my S80 and it seemed hard on the transmission. GM didn't design the 4T60/65 as a dual range transmission.

Just a thought I had as 130K and only the 2nd gear trashed. Still enjoying your thread. Thank you for the photos, look forward to seeing more! June
I'll be honest with you , after years of volvo ownership I was pretty sure those buttons just turned lights on and off and weren't connected to anything at all 8)

If the W actually does do something though you could be right.

bronco
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:24 am

So I'm at the put together stage and just out of curiosity does anyone do any of the stuff in the pan ? like accumulators and servo piston seals etc?

The forward band is broken I wonder if I should yank that piston ? The way the car is supported it would be no simple thing to do it now , same with the 1-2 and 3-4 pistons which are in the pan. It would be nice to do them but its not happening thru the side cover and once its back on it would suck to pop something off and then for some reason have to go back in thru the side because some pin or whatever fell out

bronco
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:43 am

the final drive sungear shaft is the mystery part which does not appear on any of the videos apparently it should not have been removed because it does not want to go back in. The long spline end should go in first but it is stopping short about 2 inches maybe the parking pawl assembly needs to come out after all , which means the pan has to come down and the lube pipe has to come out .

perhaps a thrust washer or bearing slipped down when I pulled the shaft out? If so it would stop at the solid inner shaft and block the sungear shaft from going in

edited to add I measured how far the shaft will go in and it needs to go another 2 inches , so I shined a light in and can see a splined hole and with a long screwdriver i can move whatever it is around so its offcenter and not engaging.

Fun fact about the sunshaft it has the same spline on both ends but 1 is longer than the other. The short spline has to face out or the planetary will seat too far down on it and basically the length of the long spline is how much further it needs to go in.

I have taken the pan and filter off early on and put the pan back on with three bolts so i probably can remove the pan if need be pull the pipe out undo the big snap ring and remove that big cast irn thing with the parking pawl on it . but first I'll monkey around and see if I can get this thing in
Last edited by bronco on Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:07 am

I will send you a pm.

Look here for TransGo shift kits: https://tripleedgeperformance.com/

When I looked at accumulators I found a broken spring. It not hurt to look at them.

bronco
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:50 am

so the whole stupid thing had to come out the gear that the parking pawl locks into slumps down if you pull that sunshaft yikes

oh well scorched earth time now
DSCF8634.JPG
this is what the sun shaft looks like fully splined into where it needs to go first the final drive planetary??
DSCF8632.JPG
then the parking gear , note that you cant put the shaft into the planetary then put the gear over it , you have to put the gear on the sunshaft then put that assembly into the planetary like so
DSCF8633.JPG
a bearing or thrust washer goes next into the pocket in the gear face , then the out planet ring gear I guess I will call it which has splines on the outside and can only go one way, the hole in the bottom has to be positioned so the planetary oil line can push in from inside the pan area

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Post by June » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:32 pm

bronco wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:20 am
June wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:22 pm

I'll be honest with you , after years of volvo ownership I was pretty sure those buttons just turned lights on and off and weren't connected to anything at all 8)

If the W actually does do something though you could be right.
The W on these cars forces the transmission to start off in second gear always. Definitely not part of General Motors design. June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

bronco
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:30 pm

This is a nightmare now , it took me over 3 hours to get that all out and back in again . Hopefully its ok now.

I realized during the process that I never explicitly pull that sunshaft out and none of the various videos show that either.

I had a lot of trouble trying to get it together and I found that you can easily screw it up when you are 90% there and have to start over.

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow of what I mean I'm knocking off for the day now
These users thanked the author bronco for the post:
June