IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2002 s80 trans slipping swap or rebuild?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
bronco
Year and Model: 1998 V70
United States of America
bronco

Re: 2002 s80 trans slipping swap or rebuild?

Post by bronco » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:35 pm

A little out of order but I just saw these on my memory card pics are of when I had to take the final drive planetary parking gear and pawl etc out .

First is the final drive planet assemble on the shaft without the park gear
DSCF8632.JPG
Then same with parking gear and sunshaft
DSCF8633.JPG
another view of that with my patented paint dot applied so i can hopefully tell after the fact if anything had shifted
DSCF8637.JPG
here is the hidden side of the final drive planet which goes down over the park gear at 1 o'clock is the park pawl flipped out , that is what bites into the big teeth on the park gear to lock the transmission in park
DSCF8635.JPG

bronco
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:34 am

still waiting on my 3-4 spring kit . Tracking showed it lounging a few days in Indiana but out for delivery today. Before the corona our mail came by 10am but now we are lucky to see it at 3pm. I've decided to mock the transfer plate on while I wait and see a few issues that are going to crop up. The 2 gaskets that came with the kit won't stay stuck down with grease , they are not paper , kinda metallic and with only one locator pin they just fall off.

The plate also has to engage with the volvo type 4th gear single sided frictions .

I think I am going to need locator pins , either m6 bolts with the heads cut off or threaded rod.

bronco
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:38 pm

I did make some pins to hold the gaskets. The rockauto kit came with metallic replacement gaskets for the channel plate . They were bent in 3 places and wouldn't lie flat so I was having trouble getting the gaskets to stay put. M6 threaded rod isn't a thing anywhere near me so I dug out 2 M6 bolts , longest I could find cut the heads off them and put them in strategic locations
DSCF8685.JPG
Putting the channel plate on is kind of miserable because of the rubber turbine ring seals the plate has to be sucked on with bolts around the pump. It took a few tries because I was nervous about warping the plate . Every time you take it back off 4th gear clutch comes with it and has to be put back on. The locator pins were not very useful as it turned out , I had better luck using long valve body bolts instead getting the channel plate up out from where it goes , putting one long m6 valvebody bolt in a spot where it will fix the gasket but no channel plate bolt goes so its not in the way then doing the same down low, 2 are enough to hold the gasket but 4 works even better

the last time it just felt right and sucked right up.

I gooped the check balls into it then tried the normal way of putting the the assembled valve body on and it didn't work at all . As you line up around the pump shaft its very easy to knock the little plastic screens off and they get pushed inside , then you have to take the plate off the valve body fish the screens out and put them back on and try again. So I decided to put the plate with the 2 gaskets on the transfer plate so that way you can't jostle the plastic screens , with the locator sleeve in the hole and the plate over it at the 4:30 position although afterwards I thought I maybe could have put it the sleeve in through the valvebody after ??
DSCF8691.JPG
Then I made sure the balls were well stuck into the valvebody side
DSCF8692.JPG
and it went right on.
torqued it on the put the pump and wire harness on and quit for the day.
DSCF8694.JPG
These users thanked the author bronco for the post:
June

bronco
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:49 pm

So today the side cover got back on! I needed to remove the front passenger subframe bolt completely though , even though the cover came off the way things were it would not go back on :roll:
I bolted the subframe up where it goes , fought with the steering rack for over an hour because I undid both shaft bolts when I should have just removed the one inside the car .

Note to anyone who does this , do not undo the 10mm head bolt that holds the rack to the steering column shaft in the engine compartment , no good will come of it.

So subframe in place engine and trans still supported need to bolt the engine mounts and trans mounts back up put the axle in and what not , maybe it will start tomorrow , I could have the afternoon to work on it if the weather forecast is right
June

bronco
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:06 am

putting it all back together hitting a few snags .

I had the owner order new brake hoses because the other ones were split and cracked at the caliper end.

I put the new one on the drivers side and it looks too short when the wheel is cut to the left , its exactly the same length as the one that was on the car though ?

Anyone have issues with short hoses? Both the ones on the car and the new ones are raybestos brand

they are supposed to be 14.4 inches long and do measure that but that solid part that screws into the caliper seems awfully long :x
June

bronco
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:44 pm

Maybe the hoses look short because of the way the car is still supported with axles ends at full droop ?

Looking at other brands of hose they appear to be 14.4 inches overall as well

bronco
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:19 am

Well this is annoying I put 5 quarts in and it wont move and nothing on the stick yet, the walmart only had 6 on the shelf so when I put #6 in I was out and it still isn't showing on the stick but it went in reverse and drive!

I can't test drive it though I seem to have no brakes.

I had no one around to help bleed them when I put the hoses on probably air in both sides but I don't want to drive it low on tranny fluid anyway.

I had no idea what it would take for fluid , I think when I did the filter it took 4 1/2 I was hoping 6 would be enough but I guess not :roll:

It was a relief that it moves in both directions though :D
June

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Post by June » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:52 pm

Check the owners manual. My memory the 4T65 holds like 13 or 14 quarts. I would not run it low. June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Post by June » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:04 pm

Looked in my 2004 manual and it holds 13.4 US quarts. June
Attachments
20200701_145901.jpg
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

bronco
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:28 pm

13.4 total including the torque converter and cooler I doubt any came out of the converter but maybe when the pump drive came out the top half of it could have run out through the case

I might need as many as 10 then.if the converter half emptied

Its really hard to tell because I dumped the pan all at once but afterwards as it was coming apart I had 2 pans under it but a lot wound up on the floor still.

I bought another gallon . We shall see