IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2002 s80 trans slipping swap or rebuild?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
bronco
Year and Model: 1998 V70
United States of America
bronco

Re: 2002 s80 trans slipping swap or rebuild?

Post by bronco » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:30 am

:cry: At 8 .5 quarts added its just showing on the stick not warmed up though . I took it for a ride and all the gears work checked it again and it came up the stick a little. I may end up adding 10 total.

Meanwhile the brake issue , I think it may have been pre-existing , both calipers were missing the outer pad spring. I had the owner order some but they never showed up. There was only one on my 2001 parts s80 I put it on and it helps but still fells weird initially.

I have 2 S70's in the yard if those springs work I should be all set otherwise I'll have to order one.

I'm having garage issues today , a pair of barnswallows built a nest in there and we had been peacefully coexisting but last night or today was "out the nest day " the little ones are all loose in the building and I went in this morning and one flew into a window :cry:

I had to retreat , I opened the big door a foot and belly crawled in Mission Impossible style and took the screens out of a couple of windows. In a few days they will be gone. The car is outside so its just tool access that I have an issue with .

I can't leave the big door open , which would be ideal , safer than them flying in and out windows , I have 2 cats that are prowling about with murderous intent they can hear the baby birds in there and want in.

Back to the car , I drove it to the owners house and told her not yet I'm not happy with the brakes and havent tested it yet. She says there were brake parts in the trunk when I got the car , goes out to her shed and comes back with a brake booster!

Anyway a brake spring need to go on and more fluid then a real test drive needs to happen. Its looking good though

bronco
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:54 pm

Well took a test drive and the brakes failed completely ! Babied it home and found brake fluid on the outside of the drivers side tire !

The inner edge of the rim cut into the brake hose The hoses are exactly the same as the ones that came off which had what I thought were cracks in the cut area :?

I don't understand the purpose of the 2 inch metal standoff. I will have to pull a wheel off my parts car and look at those hoses .

This car has 17 inch rims they look stock for the car
DSCF8695.JPG

bronco
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:05 pm

:lol: Well I looked at my parts car , the 2001 and its the same hose but it leaves the caliper at an angle and is nowhere near the rim and is not tight either.

Rockauto shows 2 different part numbers based on the size of the front disc. Working theory , someone put a small disc caliper on a big disc car ! These 17 inch rim cars maybe angle the hose to clear the wheel and the others come straight out , maybe a smaller wheel doesn't offset in as much?

Oh Christ , is it possible to screw the hose into the bleeder hole and vice versa? I did a direct swap with the new hoses , I undid the hose from the metal line plugged the metal line , pulled the caliper off stuck it in the bench vise , unscrewed the old hose and screwed the new one in its place . That would explain why the other hoses were damaged in the same place :lol: :lol: :lol:

bronco
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:06 pm

bronco wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:05 pm
:lol: Well I looked at my parts car , the 2001 and its the same hose but it leaves the caliper at an angle and is nowhere near the rim and is not tight either.

Rockauto shows 2 different part numbers based on the size of the front disc. Working theory , someone put a small disc caliper on a big disc car ! These 17 inch rim cars maybe angle the hose to clear the wheel and the others come straight out , maybe a smaller wheel doesn't offset in as much?

Oh Christ , is it possible to screw the hose into the bleeder hole and vice versa? I did a direct swap with the new hoses , I undid the hose from the metal line plugged the metal line , pulled the caliper off stuck it in the bench vise , unscrewed the old hose and screwed the new one in its place . That would explain why the other hoses were damaged in the same place :lol: :lol: :lol:
It explains the spongy feel too , the bleeder is not at the top so you can't get all the air out :lol: :lol:

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:12 pm

Bronco - my cats are envious of the bird problems. I am envious of your great progress and impressed with you persistence.

Sorry I can not add any info on the brake lines, but I will be doing battle on a 1996 Audi which has splitting hoses and fear I may encounter the same issues. First I need to put the engine back together. What started out as a car with a bad head gasket has morphed into everything that can leak, make a noise or crack with age has needed replacement. Including the steering rack, which was a three day project. I feel your pain.

Keep up the great work.

bronco
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:59 am

The 3 baby birds all survived ! I knew to give them a day or two alone in the garage and they would leave . The last time that happened I pulled my bronco in without knowing what was up and 2 died either from heart attacks or smashing into walls trying to escape the noise. :oops:

The hose and the bleeder were in each others holes . It was so stupid , I wasn't doing brakes so I just pulled all that stuff off to get to the transmission and set it aside. I saw the hoses were cracked and had her order some at the beginning . But , knowing I was replacing them I just undid the hose at the hard line and set all that stuff aside in piles for two weeks while the transmission job was going on.

Its odd that the hose and bleeder are so similar that they could interchange , I've never seen that on an american made car . The last person must have replaced the calipers and swapped the two and I just blindly reassembled everything the way it was. The existing hoses weren't cut by the rim the way mine were so there must have been some differences. The owner has had the car 2 years without any brake issues with them in the wrong holes for who knows how long.

So the new hoses were ruined and I had to buy 2 more and another quart of fluid but everything is fine now.

Ive driven it and the transmission seems fine , I never actually drove it before but it must shift better with the destroyed frictions in second clutch replaced. The 3-4 accumulator springs I had to order were much larger than the originals , an upgrade but i have no way of knowing if it feels different.

One thing , one the test drive the front end was squeaking , on a hunch I checked the subframe bolts , the fronts were fine but the rear big subframe bolts were loose :? I know I tightened them all at the same time . I'm wondering though if some of the weight of the engine was on the subframe when I did it . I lifted and lowered the engine tranny combo so many times it blurred together I can't be sure whether car or engine weight was on the frame or it was free floating when I tightened them up. I don't actually know which way would have been preferrable really.

June mentioned they were or might be torque to yield bolts as well so thats another wrinkle .

So far the trans took 9 1/4 quarts on refill. I'm going to drive it a lot today and tomorrow before I give it back and see if that is the final number

bronco
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:05 pm

Still holding at 9.25 quarts of fluid . She has had it back for a couple of days she texted me and said the temp got up to the 3/4 mark .

I hooked my scanner up put it on live data and drove with the AC on and it got up to 245 !

No electric fan action , at first I thought i heard it but it was the fan to cool the brains I was hearing. I decided I might have forgot to plug some harness back in . Everything was plugged in but upon closer examination the plastic 2 wire plug on the fan shroud that only has 1 purple wire in it was the issue . The wire crumbled to dust on the car side of the harness , I spliced the two together around the plug and the fan came right on at 210 degrees , it seems like everything is ok now with that.

When I first fired the car the trans had put up 3 codes 700, 705 and 748 . I was 4 or 5 quarts low though to begin so I cleared them and the have not returned as yet. The car had a perpetual 440 code so I assume the light will return eventually I just told her to call me when it does and I'll see if any non EVAP codes are present.

I am taking the car back again the next time she has 2 days off to check the lug nuts and subframe bolts and any others I can reach and fluid levels

aussieviking
Year and Model: 2000 S80
Australia
aussieviking

Post by aussieviking » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:27 am

Well done Bronco, good effort.

I remember it took me a while to get the fluid level just right due to the fact you have to have it at the specific conditions first, putting some in, going over, sucking some out with a long pipe and syringe.

Those pictures bring back some memories that's for sure.

SlowLane
Year and Model: 1996 855 Turbo
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SlowLane

Post by SlowLane » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:53 pm

June wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:04 pm
Looked in my 2004 manual and it holds 13.4 US quarts. June
The ATSG technical manual for the 4T65E has the following approximate capacity numbers:

Bottom Pan Removed 7.0 liters or 7.4 quarts
Complete Rebuild 9.5 liters or 10.0 quarts
Completely Dry 12.7 liters or 13.4 quarts
Current Volvos:
2002 2.9 S80 - Wife's car, the "Silver Flash"
1996 855 Turbo - Formerly daughter's ride. My toy now.

Former Volvos:
1997 855 GLT - Totalled by daughter. Now she appreciates Volvos. :wink:
1984 244 DL B23F - warped head after radiator blew
1982 245 GL B21A - My first Volvo. Sold with 400,000 km on it.

Other:
1981 VW Westfalia

bronco
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:50 am

SlowLane wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:53 pm
June wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:04 pm
Looked in my 2004 manual and it holds 13.4 US quarts. June
The ATSG technical manual for the 4T65E has the following approximate capacity numbers:

Bottom Pan Removed 7.0 liters or 7.4 quarts
Complete Rebuild 9.5 liters or 10.0 quarts
Completely Dry 12.7 liters or 13.4 quarts
I'm within 3/4 of a quart it looks like. Next time I get the car I'll check and see if it will take a little more