IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

In need of a camshaft housing/cover

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
KevinCro
Year and Model: 2004 xc90
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
KevinCro

In need of a camshaft housing/cover

Post by KevinCro » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:42 pm

Hey guys. Found out my cam shaft cover was cracked at some point and someone had tried to JB weld it back together. Problem it is cracked where the front seal goes and it’s leaking oil badly. I think it’s also causing a loss of oil pressure to my vvt solenoid. I have searched on eBay and on the various used parts sites to no avail. Anyone have any recommendations? I have a 2004 Volvo XC90 with a 2.9 liter t6 engine. Thanks.
2004 Volvo XC90 T6 169k miles

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: In need of a camshaft housing/cover

Post by SuperHerman » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:29 pm

Bad news - the cylinder head and cam cover are married. One cannot replace just either or as they are machined as a unit.

This is the reason you are not seeing them for sale. Now - I don't recommend it, but one could source a junk engine and take just the cam cover and hope the original machining was tight enough that it will work - I have seen a few posts where it did NOT work.

One solution, would be to buy an engine with a broken timing belt and bent valves and use your head for parts and the donor head for the rest. Of course you can source a working engine, but the work either way is considerable.

KevinCro
Year and Model: 2004 xc90
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
KevinCro

Post by KevinCro » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:33 pm

If I bought a good cylinder head and cover, would it work with the old block? Would I have to have it machined to match the block?
2004 Volvo XC90 T6 169k miles

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:06 pm

Yes that would work. Cross check part numbers to make sure you are getting the correct part, but that is a solution.

I recall various posts discussing the differences between a non-turbo head being adapted and getting one to work. Do some digging and you will find your answers. Easiest route is to by a like for like and bolt it on.