IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Engine swap

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
KevinCro
Year and Model: 2004 xc90
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
KevinCro

Engine swap

Post by KevinCro » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:31 pm

Hey guys. I sourced a good engine from a local junk yard for my 2004 XC90. Ive seen a couple videos about how to remove the engine. The videos I’ve seen either pull the engine out the front or drop it out the bottom. Why couldn’t I just hoist it out the top like normal? Seems like these people went to a lot of extra work. What am I missing?
2004 Volvo XC90 T6 169k miles

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: Engine swap

Post by SuperHerman » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:26 pm

If you have a hoist it is much easier. That is how the car was assembled - the entire thing just drops down. When I had transmission work done, the shop dropped the entire engine and transmission in a few hours.

Coming out the top on SUVs is tougher because of the added height needed. On my old Range Rover I had to put the car on the lowest jack stands I could find to dip the nose low enough so I could get the cherry picker with engine to clear the frame.

KevinCro
Year and Model: 2004 xc90
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
KevinCro

Post by KevinCro » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:06 pm

Thanks for the info. Is it possible to pull the engine without pulling the transmission? If not that’s fine, I’m just trying to understand. I have done engine swaps on rwd and 4wd but this is the first front wheel/all wheel drive that I’ve done. If it’s just not possible, or just so hard that it’s not doable, that’s fine. Just would like some guidance before I start taking axles out and what not. Thanks so much.
2004 Volvo XC90 T6 169k miles

Masscomguru
Year and Model: 2008 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Masscomguru

Post by Masscomguru » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:54 pm