IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

VIDA DICE purchase

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

liambean
Year and Model: 2001 V70
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
liambean

VIDA DICE purchase

Post by liambean » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:17 am

Hello group:

I'm thinking of purchasing a VIDA unit with DICE software for my 2001 P2. I've found a number of Volvo units on eBay (all have 2014D software) and I'd like some opinions on the purchase.

All the units I've seen require a PC loaded with Windows 7 Pro, 4GB of RAM (minimum) and up to 40GB of disc space on the root directory.

First question: is the computer required while you use VIDA or is it used to pre-program the VIDA prior to use? If not, will a laptop with the minimum requirements suffice.
Second, can I re-reprogram the ECU and TCU with this?
Third, can I program a remote with this?
Fourth, how effective is this in running down problems.

That's basically it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jonboy74
Year and Model: V70 2.4T, 2002
United States of America
Jonboy74

Re: VIDA DICE purchase

Post by Jonboy74 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:44 am

Hi Limabean!

I just did the same thing a little over a year ago for my 02 V70 2.4T. Found a DiCE module on eBay for about $75, then the fun began. It helps that I work with computers for a living. Short answer to your first question is: Yes, the computer is required while you use the VIDA application. As to the other questions....not 100% sure and it depends on exactly what you are trying to do. I'm sure others on here will have more experience to share and can provide better answers.

But....to get you started....

VIDA actually stands for Vehicle Information and Diagnostics for After sales, and DiCE stands for Diagnostic Communications Equipment.

DiCE is the module you buy on Ebay.... VIDA is the softwrae application you run on your computer while your computer is connected to your car via the DiCE module.

There is a TON of information on here - it will be a little overwhelming at first, and the install will take probably a couple of hours start to finish if everything goes correctly.

Check out these links:

MVS, What is DiCE? - https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/what- ... standards.

MVS VIDA Forum - viewforum.php?f=40

Hope this helps,

Jonboy
These users thanked the author Jonboy74 for the post:
liambean

liambean
United States of America
liambean

Post by liambean » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:58 am

JonBoy:

Thanks. I got the nomenclature backwards. Figures. I usually do the first time.
I was a software engineer (business accounting stuff) as a career. I'm fairly comfortable with that bit of it.
I did see a YouTube video of someone programming a remote via a DiCE, but since I didn't have one at the time, I skimmed through it. There's a wealth of information all over the place. It's the pulling it all together that's a bit of a pain.

The reason I'm wanting a way to program the ECU, TCU is 1) I have that Neutral in Drive problem. I'd like to correct that. 2) I have some errors I think are coming from the ECU. The fuel door unlocks randomly, I get a "fuel cap lose" message, but only for a minute then it goes away, which is ALWAYS followed by a P0136 which can only be reset of the car is turned off for about 30min. 3) I'd like to purchase and program a remote.

Anywayz. Thanks for the rapid response.

Jonboy74
Year and Model: V70 2.4T, 2002
United States of America
Jonboy74

Post by Jonboy74 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:44 pm

Yeah, I agree that it is all over the place, but if you go through that MVS VIDA Forum thread I posted above, it has pretty much everything you need to get VIDA going...and if you get stuck, there are plenty here who can help you.

Cheers!

Jonboy
These users thanked the author Jonboy74 for the post:
liambean

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:10 am

I believe to program a remote or keys you need both VIDA DICE and a purchased subscription to access the Bolvo server to enable pins and keys. It about $1000 for three days access.

In short, keys fobs from 1999 on are dealer items
These users thanked the author abscate for the post:
liambean
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70
Wales
jonesg

Post by jonesg » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:37 pm

liambean wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:17 am
Hello group:

I'm thinking of purchasing a VIDA unit with DICE software for my 2001 P2. I've found a number of Volvo units on eBay (all have 2014D software) and I'd like some opinions on the purchase.

All the units I've seen require a PC loaded with Windows 7 Pro, 4GB of RAM (minimum) and up to 40GB of disc space on the root directory.

First question: is the computer required while you use VIDA or is it used to pre-program the VIDA prior to use? If not, will a laptop with the minimum requirements suffice.
Second, can I re-reprogram the ECU and TCU with this?
Third, can I program a remote with this?
Fourth, how effective is this in running down problems.

That's basically it. Thanks in advance for any help.
unless the problem is obviously mechanical, such as worn brake pads, the software is vital.
You can't have an intelligent conversation without pulling the codes.
Other code readers can be helpful, such as autel elite can reset airbag warning but volvo software goes a lot deeper.
I've used both and sold my autel code reader when I got vadis on a laptop from a forum member .
These users thanked the author jonesg for the post:
liambean

vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
United States of America
vtl

Post by vtl » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:54 pm

VIDA Online 3 days access is $75 + taxes. Software for modules is in $35-80 range. I used it a couple of times. My "community edition" VIDA 2014D runs on a Linux laptop inside KVM virtual machine running Windows 7 Home edition. VIDA Online is a P.O.S. in terms of software quality. It bricked my wife's XC60 when it hung amidst sw update. Volvo Cars of NA walked away. Offline VIDA is much more stable, but it can't be used these days to program modules.

VDASH might be much cheaper: https://d5t5.com/article/vdash-volvo-diagnostic It still requires DiCE. Chinese clones of DiCE work well, when they work.
These users thanked the author vtl for the post (total 2):
liambeanJonboy74
05 XC70 265k, 16 XC60 45k, 19 Tundra 5k

liambean
United States of America
liambean

Post by liambean » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:16 pm

Hey thanks. I reviewed it then downloaded the tool.

jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70
Wales
jonesg

Post by jonesg » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:01 pm

liambean wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:16 pm
Hey thanks. I reviewed it then downloaded the tool.
I checked it out too, my computer locked up, had to reboot to get out of the program.
Let me know how it works for you, I would like to get it going here.

darrylrobert
Year and Model: 2001 v70xc
Australia
darrylrobert

Post by darrylrobert » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:46 am

I recently purchased Vida 2014d from ebay. I also purchased a dedicated laptop as my win10 didnt like it. Iam fairly happywith it accept even when hooked up to my car it gives me part options not fitted to my car. Its still possible to order wrong parts for my vehicle.
These users thanked the author darrylrobert for the post:
liambean