IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

How do you replace the AC low pressure switch

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
cybergoatguy
Year and Model: 2011 S40 T5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Canada
cybergoatguy

How do you replace the AC low pressure switch

Post by cybergoatguy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:55 am

Hi everyone,

I have a 2011 S40 T5. I have traced my AC problems to a bad AC low pressure switch. I read in this this forum that with some models, you can simply unscrew the old one and put the new one without needing to drain the system of freon.

I just wanted to confirm with the "experts" out there if this is the case with the 2011 S40 T5. Can I simply replace the low pressure switch without losing any freon?

Thanks in advance for the help

MoVolvos
Year and Model: 03S80T6~08C30T5
United States of America
MoVolvos

Re: How do you replace the AC low pressure switch

Post by MoVolvos » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:54 pm

-
It seems like there is very little info on Volvo low pressure switch replacement. I would just unscrew it and if it starts to seep tighten it back up and evacuate the system and recycle the refrigerant.

https://repairpal.com/estimator/volvo/s ... ement-cost

Excerpt:

The average cost for a Volvo S60 air conditioning refrigerant pressure switch replacement is between $188 and $203. Labor costs are estimated between $51 and $66 while parts are priced at $137. Estimate does not include taxes and fees.

How are Air Conditioning Refrigerant Pressure Switches replaced?

Once a technician has located and diagnosed a faulty pressure switch, replacement is usually straightforward.The electrical plug is disconnected from the end of the switch and the switch is unscrewed from its mount. It is common for the mount to employ a self-closing valve that prevents refrigerant from escaping when the pressure switch is removed. In most cases the refrigerant does not need to be removed (evacuated) from the system. however, it is necessary to have access to vehicle-specific technical information to ensure this is the case.
Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated
2003 S80 T6
2003 GS300
2003 Odyssey
2008 C30 T5
2019 Atlas SE 4 Motion