IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

RHD heater core removal impossible?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

darrylrobert
Year and Model: 2001 v70xc
Australia
darrylrobert

RHD heater core removal impossible?

Post by darrylrobert » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:33 am

Any with a RHD vehicle ownres here tried to remove/replace the heater core?..i have a very small leak from i hope the pipe o rings, hopefully not the exchanger because the whole dashboard needs to come out according to VIDA

Anyone have any tips on easy removal/maybe cutting some of the plastic casing?

below is a picture trying to remove the heater exchanger from my 2002 XC70 parts car. Its stuck in that position because the blower casing/shroud stops me sliding it out further..
RHD heater exhange.jpg
Also removal of the "quick connect" is extremely difficult, i ended up breaking the plastic, why the didnt just use jubilee clips on hose like the engine side...
pipes.jpg
quick connect hose
I think you need to lift these tabs out to dissconnect, i tried using hands/pliers to press and couldnt.
clips.jpg
quick connect clips

jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70
Wales
jonesg

Re: RHD heater core removal impossible?

Post by jonesg » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:57 am

Oragex has a very good video on that,

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:52 am

Unfortunately, the above video is for LHD cars. I think on RHD people on https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19 say you have indeed to chop a piece of plastic, not sure which one. As for the engine bay hose clips, it's actually very simple, but there's a bit of wrong information on internet. It works more difficult the first time because there's dust/dirt. But the idea is to place correctly your finger tips, not to have them over the tabs that have to lift, and make sure the tabs lift all the way - also we need rotate the hoses a little to break loose the inner o-ring

darrylrobert
Australia
darrylrobert

Post by darrylrobert » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:17 am

Update for any righties: this is the size of the plastic removal panel needed to cleanly remove the heater matrix. Also part of the glovebox dashboard frame needs to be cut or bent out of the way.

I tried to cut the panel around securing points as the fan and glovebox may rattle if the structure is weakened.
IMG_20200619_142132.jpg
Rhd heater matrix removal
These users thanked the author darrylrobert for the post:
oragex

darrylrobert
Australia
darrylrobert

Post by darrylrobert » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:43 am

I just watched peppermints video, one tip is to turn the dial to full heat so the arm moves up and out of the way. My parts car has no power so I broke it trying to force it.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:12 am

darrylrobert wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:17 am
Update for any righties: this is the size of the plastic removal panel needed to cleanly remove the heater matrix. Also part of the glovebox dashboard frame needs to be cut or bent out of the way.

I tried to cut the panel around securing points as the fan and glovebox may rattle if the structure is weakened.

IMG_20200619_142132.jpg

Oh, that's a hefty hole, you can see this car was initially designed for the LHD market. Were you able to use a cutter (and thick leather gloves of course) so you can silicone back the cut piece ? Might as well post the picture on the UK forum, for further reference. Speaking of LHD vs RHD differences, wait to see brake booster (servo) replacement on RHD.