IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Oil Leak

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
EngineeringdadS80
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
EngineeringdadS80

Oil Leak

Post by EngineeringdadS80 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:27 pm

On my 2004 Volvo s80 t6 I recently noticed a Oil leak under my car with a wide spray pattern or perhaps the highway speeds/air flow distributing it everywhere. My rebuilt turbos recently installed and re-installed properly with new gaskets and oil seals to the oil pan. Raised car on jack stands, cleaned oil from all areas throughly with rags and brake cleaner, ran engine at high reves and idled, repeating for 15 minutes. Crawled under and using flex mirror and led light, and visual sight to find no signs of leak anywhere on turbo gadkets or seals into oil pan or anywhere else. Oil breather cap no leaks, and no signs of oil sprayed or leaking from top of engine or the valve cover gasket. Engine side facing radiator had no signs of leaks. Oil leak in question is saturated in the area of the engine facing firewall. Lowered car ran on highway for 30 miles, lifted vehicle once again on jack stands and noticed oil to be heavily concentrated near the Oil Cooler. But not leaking while in park at idle or from revving the engine ar 2000 rpms for several minutes. However in my earlier post the three stooges that originally installed my turbos with a oil leak on turbo oil drain line which I corrected a few months ago...But what did remain from their previous work is the loud audible clicking noise synchronize with the exhaust, which I never had before. There is a small exhaust leak around turbo flange to cataylic down pipe. I'll seperate and install the upgrade gaskets. The Clicking IS NOT a 100% exhaust related. The valves, cams intake/exhaust synchronization is perfect.
My Question: could it possible be the PCV Valve Oil Seperator (9497454S80) is clogged and causing excessive pressure possibly on the oil cooler housing or seals and creating the loud clicking noise? The clicking noise is less audible once the car is at higher speeds. The oil cooler housing is plastic and metal, and the majority of oil looks like it from that area.
Note: no coolant leaks, no check engine, just a oil light (low oil) after about 150 miles. I think its the oil pan gasket or oil cooler since the all other areas top and bottom of engine on other 3 sides are dry.[*]
MONEY IS EXTREMLY TIGHT. IF ITS THE PCV OIL SEPERATOR CAN I CLEAN IT?
:(
Last edited by EngineeringdadS80 on Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

bronco
Year and Model: 1998 V70
United States of America
bronco

Re: Oil Leak

Post by bronco » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:23 am

Did you do the glove test on the dipstick tube?

as far as the oil seperator I clean them all the time , well I mean whener I get one off I clean it out , if you take it off look inside the block too , you might be able to poke around in there and haul out a lot of gunk.

EngineeringdadS80
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
EngineeringdadS80

Post by EngineeringdadS80 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:50 am

Do you mean on the oil filler cap?

bronco
Year and Model: 1998 V70
United States of America
bronco

Post by bronco » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:33 am

I have an S80 parts car here that If I jump started it and pulled the oil dipstick out would shoot a plume of white water vapor once it warmed up. This car would force cam seals out of the bores and create oil leaks very easily . Generally too much pressure in the crank case would pop those first in my experience , it shouldn't do the turbo .

You could leave the dipstick pulled out and see if it leaks the same way when you drive around