IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2004 XC70 P0733 Gear 3 incorrect ratio

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

User avatar
shiloh51933
Posts: 948
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:12 pm
Year and Model: 04 XC70/'98 V70XC
Location: New York
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 10 times
United States of America
shiloh51933

2004 XC70 P0733 Gear 3 incorrect ratio

Post by shiloh51933 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:08 am

My wife was driving the 2004 XC70 for a couple of hours, then the 2-3 upshift flares. It's got no 3rd gear at all but it will bypass 3rd if I use the sport shift. I met up with her and drove it home. There's no flashing lights, NO red triangle, no CEL. No messages on message screen...nothing. I hooked up my scanner and got the generic code p0733 Gear 3 Incorrect Gear Ratio. ATD fluid level reading was at the L marker, so I added a little. I've done numerous drain/fills over the years. Any suggestions or questions? Every other gear works including reverse.
If U Wanna Play U Gotta Pay!!

ignatz
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 6:23 pm
Year and Model: 2002 V70t, 2001 V70
Location: Birdsboro Pa.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 3 times
United States of America
ignatz

Re: 2004 XC70 P0733 Gear 3 incorrect ratio

Post by ignatz » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:06 am

The only thing I would know to do is pull out the servo assy and put in the IDP servo kit. Make sure everything looks ok. Three drain and fills, and hope for the best.
I'd try Seafom Trans Tune after the above didn't work.
98 S70 T-5

User avatar
shiloh51933
Posts: 948
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:12 pm
Year and Model: 04 XC70/'98 V70XC
Location: New York
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 10 times
United States of America
shiloh51933

Re: 2004 XC70 P0733 Gear 3 incorrect ratio

Post by shiloh51933 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:55 am

ignatz wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:06 am
The only thing I would know to do is pull out the servo assy and put in the IDP servo kit. Make sure everything looks ok. Three drain and fills, and hope for the best.
I'd try Seafom Trans Tune after the above didn't work.
Thank you for your response. I ordered the B4 Servo kit from IPDUSA.COM a few days ago. I normally serviced the trans fluid by performing the drain/fill procedure's with Aisin Warner T-IV (3309) ATF. I never tried the Seafoam Trans Tune, how does it work? I'm guessing it's a cleaner like regular Seafoam.
If U Wanna Play U Gotta Pay!!

firstv70volvo
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:37 am
Year and Model: V70 T5 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 9 times
United States of America
firstv70volvo

Re: 2004 XC70 P0733 Gear 3 incorrect ratio

Post by firstv70volvo » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:05 am

shiloh51933 wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:08 am
My wife was driving the 2004 XC70 for a couple of hours, then the 2-3 upshift flares. It's got no 3rd gear at all but it will bypass 3rd if I use the sport shift. I met up with her and drove it home. There's no flashing lights, NO red triangle, no CEL. No messages on message screen...nothing. I hooked up my scanner and got the generic code p0733 Gear 3 Incorrect Gear Ratio. ATD fluid level reading was at the L marker, so I added a little. I've done numerous drain/fills over the years. Any suggestions or questions? Every other gear works including reverse.
One thing you might check with the servo cover off is the condition of the 3rd gear band. To do this I use a rod through the servo pin hole to compress the band and marked the rod when the band was fully compressed. I measured 93mm to the edge of the trans case at the servo cover opening, see photo. To check servo travel I also measured the length of the servo pin with the cover, which measured 84mm.
There a couple of adjustment needed to get the final travel of the servo pin.
You have to subtract 6mm from the measured mark on the rod so in my case 93mm - 6mm = 87mm. The 6mm is from the outside of the transmission case to the inside of the snap ring hold the servo cover in place. The total length of the servo pin with cover is between the tip of the pin and outside edge of the servo cover. The outside edge of the servo cover when installed is the inside edge of the snap ring.
There's also 2mm of compression on the servo pin when it's applied due to a cushion spring so this 2mm needs to be subtracted from the servo pin and cover measurement, in my case 84mm - 2mm = 82mm. The servo pin travel I calculated is 87mm-82mm = 5mm. The spec is 5.76mm to 6.76mm according to the ATSG manual I have. My measurements are probably not as precise as they could be and compressing the band with the rod is not the same force as the servo pressure compressing the band but the measurements did give me a good idea the servo travel wasn't horribly out of spec.

I think if you have a badly worn 3rd gear band you'll see a measurement noticeably larger than the 93mm I measured. There are differently length servo pins to bring the servo pin travel into spec and I think this may be option assuming the problem is not the servo cover or the anchor bolt was removed or a badly worn out 3rd gear band. How long has there been a 2-3 flare?
Mark at full compression.jpg
Using rod to compress band.JPG
Lenght of servo pin and cover.JPG

User avatar
shiloh51933
Posts: 948
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:12 pm
Year and Model: 04 XC70/'98 V70XC
Location: New York
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 10 times
United States of America
shiloh51933

Re: 2004 XC70 P0733 Gear 3 incorrect ratio

Post by shiloh51933 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:21 am

firstv70volvo wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:05 am
shiloh51933 wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:08 am
My wife was driving the 2004 XC70 for a couple of hours, then the 2-3 upshift flares. It's got no 3rd gear at all but it will bypass 3rd if I use the sport shift. I met up with her and drove it home. There's no flashing lights, NO red triangle, no CEL. No messages on message screen...nothing. I hooked up my scanner and got the generic code p0733 Gear 3 Incorrect Gear Ratio. ATD fluid level reading was at the L marker, so I added a little. I've done numerous drain/fills over the years. Any suggestions or questions? Every other gear works including reverse.
One thing you might check with the servo cover off is the condition of the 3rd gear band. To do this I use a rod through the servo pin hole to compress the band and marked the rod when the band was fully compressed. I measured 93mm to the edge of the trans case at the servo cover opening, see photo. To check servo travel I also measured the length of the servo pin with the cover, which measured 84mm.
There a couple of adjustment needed to get the final travel of the servo pin.
You have to subtract 6mm from the measured mark on the rod so in my case 93mm - 6mm = 87mm. The 6mm is from the outside of the transmission case to the inside of the snap ring hold the servo cover in place. The total length of the servo pin with cover is between the tip of the pin and outside edge of the servo cover. The outside edge of the servo cover when installed is the inside edge of the snap ring.
There's also 2mm of compression on the servo pin when it's applied due to a cushion spring so this 2mm needs to be subtracted from the servo pin and cover measurement, in my case 84mm - 2mm = 82mm. The servo pin travel I calculated is 87mm-82mm = 5mm. The spec is 5.76mm to 6.76mm according to the ATSG manual I have. My measurements are probably not as precise as they could be and compressing the band with the rod is not the same force as the servo pressure compressing the band but the measurements did give me a good idea the servo travel wasn't horribly out of spec.

I think if you have a badly worn 3rd gear band you'll see a measurement noticeably larger than the 93mm I measured. There are differently length servo pins to bring the servo pin travel into spec and I think this may be option assuming the problem is not the servo cover or the anchor bolt was removed or a badly worn out 3rd gear band. How long has there been a 2-3 flare? Mark at full compression.jpgUsing rod to compress band.JPGLenght of servo pin and cover.JPG
Never had issue before with the A/T.
If U Wanna Play U Gotta Pay!!

firstv70volvo
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:37 am
Year and Model: V70 T5 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 9 times
United States of America
firstv70volvo

Re: 2004 XC70 P0733 Gear 3 incorrect ratio

Post by firstv70volvo » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:49 am

Never had issue before with the A/T.
If no previous flaring that would indicate the 3rd gear band was not slowing wearing out over time so maybe the problem can be corrected with the servo cover and new o-rings. Is 3rd gear completely gone now even at cold ATF temps too? There wasn't any transmission work done previously before the problem started, no one messed with the band anchor bolt? When you do replace the servo cover do try to measure the distance when the band is compressed, this would also confirm the band is in place. From my measurement there's about 11mm of travel form the point when the rod just contacts the band and full compression. When the servo pin and cover are in place there some initial compression on the band and why the servo pin travel should then be the in the 5.76 to 6.76mm range.

ignatz
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 6:23 pm
Year and Model: 2002 V70t, 2001 V70
Location: Birdsboro Pa.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 3 times
United States of America
ignatz

Re: 2004 XC70 P0733 Gear 3 incorrect ratio

Post by ignatz » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:55 pm

The Seafoam is a cleaner that might be a last resort before pulling the transmission. I had the Seafoam Trans/Hydro cleaner in my 2002 V70, but I was only trying to improve a first gear downshift. It worked for a while and then I switched from the trans fluid that you are using, to Valvoline Max Life.
Hopefully you will find an issue with the servo, so you don't have to go further.
98 S70 T-5

User avatar
shiloh51933
Posts: 948
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:12 pm
Year and Model: 04 XC70/'98 V70XC
Location: New York
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 10 times
United States of America
shiloh51933

Re: 2004 XC70 P0733 Gear 3 incorrect ratio

Post by shiloh51933 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:57 am

firstv70volvo wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:49 am
Never had issue before with the A/T.
If no previous flaring that would indicate the 3rd gear band was not slowing wearing out over time so maybe the problem can be corrected with the servo cover and new o-rings. Is 3rd gear completely gone now even at cold ATF temps too? There wasn't any transmission work done previously before the problem started, no one messed with the band anchor bolt? When you do replace the servo cover do try to measure the distance when the band is compressed, this would also confirm the band is in place. From my measurement there's about 11mm of travel form the point when the rod just contacts the band and full compression. When the servo pin and cover are in place there some initial compression on the band and why the servo pin travel should then be the in the 5.76 to 6.76mm range.
She searches for 3rd but no engagement, it's not entering 3rd gear then slipping. If I was going fast enough in 2nd she would flare in 3rd then I let off throttle and she would bypass 3rd for 4th gear. The trans has never needed any repair since we purchased her 160,000 miles ago. I've been servicing this Transmission since the day we brought her home. I've been doing drain/fills for 6-7 years and she has treated us well. Doesn't matter if it's cold or warm, I tried on the initial time taking her home to use the Sport Shifter to engage 3rd but it wouldn't go in 3rd so I went in 4th.
If U Wanna Play U Gotta Pay!!

firstv70volvo
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:37 am
Year and Model: V70 T5 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 9 times
United States of America
firstv70volvo

Re: 2004 XC70 P0733 Gear 3 incorrect ratio

Post by firstv70volvo » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:56 pm

shiloh51933 wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:57 am
firstv70volvo wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:49 am
Never had issue before with the A/T.
If no previous flaring that would indicate the 3rd gear band was not slowing wearing out over time so maybe the problem can be corrected with the servo cover and new o-rings. Is 3rd gear completely gone now even at cold ATF temps too? There wasn't any transmission work done previously before the problem started, no one messed with the band anchor bolt? When you do replace the servo cover do try to measure the distance when the band is compressed, this would also confirm the band is in place. From my measurement there's about 11mm of travel form the point when the rod just contacts the band and full compression. When the servo pin and cover are in place there some initial compression on the band and why the servo pin travel should then be the in the 5.76 to 6.76mm range.
She searches for 3rd but no engagement, it's not entering 3rd gear then slipping. If I was going fast enough in 2nd she would flare in 3rd then I let off throttle and she would bypass 3rd for 4th gear. The trans has never needed any repair since we purchased her 160,000 miles ago. I've been servicing this Transmission since the day we brought her home. I've been doing drain/fills for 6-7 years and she has treated us well. Doesn't matter if it's cold or warm, I tried on the initial time taking her home to use the Sport Shifter to engage 3rd but it wouldn't go in 3rd so I went in 4th.
There are a couple of things you can do determine what's going on with the 3rd gear band (B4). Pull out the servo and inspect the cover, o-rings and for any other obvious wear or damage. You can also use a rod and compress the band and then make the measurement I previously suggested to check for wear and if the band is in place. There's also a B4 pressure tap on top of the transmission. According to my ATSG manual; in 3rd gear the B4 tap pressure should be between 48-57psi in Drive range at idle and between 186-202psi under max load, wide open throttle.
If the servo looks good and measurement looks reasonable then you could look at the pressure.

User avatar
shiloh51933
Posts: 948
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:12 pm
Year and Model: 04 XC70/'98 V70XC
Location: New York
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 10 times
United States of America
shiloh51933

Re: 2004 XC70 P0733 Gear 3 incorrect ratio

Post by shiloh51933 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:49 am

firstv70volvo wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:56 pm
shiloh51933 wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:57 am
firstv70volvo wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:49 am


If no previous flaring that would indicate the 3rd gear band was not slowing wearing out over time so maybe the problem can be corrected with the servo cover and new o-rings. Is 3rd gear completely gone now even at cold ATF temps too? There wasn't any transmission work done previously before the problem started, no one messed with the band anchor bolt? When you do replace the servo cover do try to measure the distance when the band is compressed, this would also confirm the band is in place. From my measurement there's about 11mm of travel form the point when the rod just contacts the band and full compression. When the servo pin and cover are in place there some initial compression on the band and why the servo pin travel should then be the in the 5.76 to 6.76mm range.
She searches for 3rd but no engagement, it's not entering 3rd gear then slipping. If I was going fast enough in 2nd she would flare in 3rd then I let off throttle and she would bypass 3rd for 4th gear. The trans has never needed any repair since we purchased her 160,000 miles ago. I've been servicing this Transmission since the day we brought her home. I've been doing drain/fills for 6-7 years and she has treated us well. Doesn't matter if it's cold or warm, I tried on the initial time taking her home to use the Sport Shifter to engage 3rd but it wouldn't go in 3rd so I went in 4th.
There are a couple of things you can do determine what's going on with the 3rd gear band (B4). Pull out the servo and inspect the cover, o-rings and for any other obvious wear or damage. You can also use a rod and compress the band and then make the measurement I previously suggested to check for wear and if the band is in place. There's also a B4 pressure tap on top of the transmission. According to my ATSG manual; in 3rd gear the B4 tap pressure should be between 48-57psi in Drive range at idle and between 186-202psi under max load, wide open throttle.
If the servo looks good and measurement looks reasonable then you could look at the pressure.
Yes I'm going to tackle it Sunday, we lost a XC90 T6 to an accident in same week as this issue. My wife is looking at a 2017-2020 XC60 now, the newer XC90 is just too big.
Thank you for your input, its invaluable.
If U Wanna Play U Gotta Pay!!

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post