IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

inside a failed angle gear box

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

darrylrobert
Year and Model: 2001 v70xc
Australia
darrylrobert

inside a failed angle gear box

Post by darrylrobert » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:14 am

My used replacement angle gear has a very small leak from i believe the adjusting "castle nut" oring. i wont be fixing it becaause i am not keen to disturb the setting that nut has. I took apart my damaged angle gear curious to see where it could be leaking from and how it works.

you can see the worn splines on the input shaft, the collar was equally worn causing it to spin freely. Brown stuff looks like corrosion but its actually grease.
DSC04331.JPG
failed angle gear 1
DSC04332.JPG
failed angle gear 2

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: inside a failed angle gear box

Post by SuperHerman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:25 pm

That doesn't look too bad. You can try to wire brush and clean up the splines and then plug it into a collar to see what kind of play, if any you have. The collar is made of a softer metal than the gear splines so that it survives, fairly typical.

I had one once where the actual bevel inside the housing was toast.

Re the lock nut, I believe the work around is to closely and precisely mark the nut and the case, then count turns. Return the preload to the original marks. That is what I did and didn't have any issues. I believe there is a Volvo TSB on resealing the cases which should have more information for you.