IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Timing belt walking off pulleys after resetting timing marks and tensioner

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

SCP74
Year and Model: 2002 v70xc
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
SCP74

Volvo Repair Database Timing belt walking off pulleys after resetting timing marks and tensioner

Post by SCP74 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:09 pm

Having issues after adjustment of timing marks. 02 xc70
There are no symptoms of anything wrong, car starts on 1st crank now, whereas before I was getting CEL. So now, the belt is moving off the pulleys, off all the pulleys. There is no wobble in my vvt, and I've set the tension already 10 times at every level of tension, and it still is moving off the pulleys. And right away after turning over, it's already and eighth of an inch off the pulleys.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: Timing belt walking off pulleys after resetting timing marks and tensioner

Post by SuperHerman » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:15 am

Check your work. What did you take off? Is the harmonic balancer or gear correctly seated? What parts did you replace?

jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70
Wales
jonesg

Post by jonesg » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:09 am

SCP74 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:09 pm
Having issues after adjustment of timing marks. 02 xc70
There are no symptoms of anything wrong, car starts on 1st crank now, whereas before I was getting CEL. So now, the belt is moving off the pulleys, off all the pulleys. There is no wobble in my vvt, and I've set the tension already 10 times at every level of tension, and it still is moving off the pulleys. And right away after turning over, it's already and eighth of an inch off the pulleys.
Walking off the pulleys =IS= the symptom. :wink:

Mine was doing that last week, I shut it down and disconnected the battery to begin with.
Traced the cause to wobble in the crank pulley, damaged splines due to missing 30mm crank gear retaining nut.
New pulley is arriving today.
To detect wobble by hand you need to pull the timing belt off.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:46 am

There can be two things: belt riding on the side of the pulleys, and belt 'walking'. I'm assuming OP has the 'riding on the side' ? If so, does a width of the belt ride completely off the pulleys, or rather just at the side of pulleys ? If just at the side, I would leave it there. I had both these issues when the tensioner I used had a problem, with a new one both problems went away, and my belt now is not walking any more and stays 'almost' at the center. Of course, there could be other things than the tensioner - as shown above. The water pump is also worth a check. Also make sure tensioner center bolt is at 15 ft-lb, which is not a lot for a 14mm bolt, some garages may put much more - perhaps 30-40 ft-lb which causes perhaps the tensioner to deform slightly and start wobble or push the belt to ride to one side. I'm not sure if correcting the bolt torque on a tensioner will bring things back to normal.

chrism
Year and Model: S80 / 2005
chrism

Post by chrism » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:09 am

Idler pulley not sitting flush against the engine block?
Did you temporarily have the belt removed? Did it maybe get reinstalled in the opposite direction? (Guess it shouldn’t matter, but.........)

SCP74
Year and Model: 2002 v70xc
United States of America
SCP74

Post by SCP74 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:20 pm

Oragex, it is off the pulley by like 1/8 in. And that is directly after startup. The steel which hangs on the ridge of the motor is bent and has been from the the moment I tensioned it the the first time weeks ago. Can a bad tensioner cause the belt to move that much? Could I have damaged the tensioner by moving the ecsentric the wrong way? Sounds like trying with another tensioner will tell me.

jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70
Wales
jonesg

Post by jonesg » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:21 pm

SCP74 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:20 pm
Oragex, it is off the pulley by like 1/8 in. And that is directly after startup. The steel which hangs on the ridge of the motor is bent and has been from the the moment I tensioned it the the first time weeks ago. Can a bad tensioner cause the belt to move that much? Could I have damaged the tensioner by moving the eccentric the wrong way? Sounds like trying with another tensioner will tell me.
if the tensioner was slightly out of position when you tightened it, it could have bent the tab..
Or over-tightened , the tensioner I pulled off my engine had a bent tab too, it was way over torqued by a mechanic.
but the belt drift was caused by a bad crank pulley, so don't presume its fixed until you can see its fixed.

06S60
Year and Model: 2006 s60
Belgium
06S60

Post by 06S60 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:09 pm

Recently installed a new TB kit and had the same issue of the belt walking off during my manual hand crank check.. After a lot of checking and removing and refitting turned out I cracked the new TB tensioner base by over torque :?. It was very hard to notice at first only removed it because I thought the tensioning spring was broken then I noticed the cracked base... :cry:

vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
United States of America
vtl

Post by vtl » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:21 pm

Conti belts also like to walk on the pulleys. Had two of these. Replaced with Volvo belt and all is good.
05 XC70 265k, 16 XC60 45k, 19 Tundra 5k