IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

HowACarWorks.com - great primer I wish I had

Come on in, introduce yourself and say hi! List Volvo events here. Have a hot Volvo? Show it off here.
smacknab
Year and Model: 99 s70 NA Manual
United States of America
smacknab

HowACarWorks.com - great primer I wish I had

Post by smacknab » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:02 pm

Hi Friends,

Today I stumbled on to a site called howacarworks.com - which honestly should've been the first thing i googled when I bought a 20 year old volvo with the intention of teaching myself how to fix a car - nevertheless it seems to me like a great general resource to pair with the more model specific information I've received from this site and RSPI/RobertDIY. It's got a ton of great illustrations scanned out of some old car magazine and more recently a series of videos where the guy tears down a Miata and breaks down every part of the car. He also talks about some of the physics a la Engineering Explained.

Seems like there are some free videos or you can buy the whole course, which is currently $25 and at this moment has 14 hours of videos. Seems like they're still working to add more to it, so the $25 is a intro price. I decided to spring for it and it also came with a 250 page pdf of all the illustrations which are super cool.

Anyway, for anyone starting their shade tree mechanic journey, or getting into a more complicated car project and would like a better understanding of what they're about to take apart, this could be a worthwhile resource.

(also while I'm making plugs; contribute to MVS and become a RSPI/RobertDIY patreon contributor)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 11.48.06 PM.png
99 s70 NA m56 - >215k miles

volvolugnut
Year and Model: 2001 V70
United States of America
volvolugnut

Re: HowACarWorks.com - great primer I wish I had

Post by volvolugnut » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:28 pm

Another 'old gray hair' and I were talking a few years ago about when we learned some of the things we knew. We could not remember. Not that we were that brain fogged, but we learned some of these mechanical concepts so many decades ago. Some of what we knew likely came from a high school shop class, hands on learning from another person or early job training. The problem is when us 'old gray hairs' forget that not everyone knows the basics needed to make repairs.

This looks like a great resource. Other resources are old books (like from those high school shop classes). Even other brand vehicle manuals can have explanations that can make clear how something should work.

volvolugnut
2001 V70 T5, 1986 244DL, 1983 245DL, 1975 245DL, 1959 PV544, multiple parts cars.

smacknab
Year and Model: 99 s70 NA Manual
United States of America
smacknab

Post by smacknab » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:47 pm

volvolugnut wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:28 pm
Another 'old gray hair' and I were talking a few years ago about when we learned some of the things we knew. We could not remember. Not that we were that brain fogged, but we learned some of these mechanical concepts so many decades ago. Some of what we knew likely came from a high school shop class, hands on learning from another person or early job training. The problem is when us 'old gray hairs' forget that not everyone knows the basics needed to make repairs.

This looks like a great resource. Other resources are old books (like from those high school shop classes). Even other brand vehicle manuals can have explanations that can make clear how something should work.

volvolugnut
That's a great point and a big part of why I decided to share. I had a vocational high school education and a very hands-on design education in collecge so I'm just grateful to have been taught that it's possible to fix and make things myself. But still I would be lost if it weren't for my friends (most of whom had their dads teach them how to wrench on cars), youtube, and the community here.
99 s70 NA m56 - >215k miles

volvolugnut
Year and Model: 2001 V70
United States of America
volvolugnut

Post by volvolugnut » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:26 pm

We all stand on the shoulders of giants.

volvolugnut
2001 V70 T5, 1986 244DL, 1983 245DL, 1975 245DL, 1959 PV544, multiple parts cars.