IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

New 850. What stuff are a MUST to replace/repair if the maintenance history is unknown?

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

User avatar
Sveedy
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:52 pm
Year and Model: 96 850 Turbo
Location: N. Arizona
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 30 times
United States of America
Sveedy

Re: New 850. What stuff are a MUST to replace/repair if the maintenance history is unknown?

Post by Sveedy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:26 am

'96 has ODB2. I have been working my way through the repairs and maintenance issues on my '96, and have 0 regrets. I didn't have history on mine either, so I did the following ASAP in this order:
Timing belt/water pump/serpentine belt etc
PCV system
Motor mounts
Plugs /wires
Coolant hoses
Vacuum hoses
Fuel filter
At times it can feel a bit like eating an elephant, but one bite at a time and you'll get there. :)
" There is enough in the world for everyones' needs, but not enough for everyones' greed. "
Gandhi

eightfifty2x0
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:02 am
Year and Model: 1996 850
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0
Germany
eightfifty2x0

Re: New 850. What stuff are a MUST to replace/repair if the maintenance history is unknown?

Post by eightfifty2x0 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:03 am

Sveedy wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:26 am
'96 has ODB2. I have been working my way through the repairs and maintenance issues on my '96, and have 0 regrets. I didn't have history on mine either, so I did the following ASAP in this order:
Timing belt/water pump/serpentine belt etc
PCV system
Motor mounts
Plugs /wires
Coolant hoses
Vacuum hoses
Fuel filter
At times it can feel a bit like eating an elephant, but one bite at a time and you'll get there. :)
Awesome list and awesome suggestion! Yeah, i agree, it feels like a huge amount of stuff to repair/replace, but it definitely worth it.

Question - how ciritical is to scan the computer for faults with an OBD2 scanner?

User avatar
Sveedy
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:52 pm
Year and Model: 96 850 Turbo
Location: N. Arizona
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 30 times
United States of America
Sveedy

Re: New 850. What stuff are a MUST to replace/repair if the maintenance history is unknown?

Post by Sveedy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:08 am

I bought a scanner to read / clear codes. Important tool to have, though I have only needed it twice - so far. Here you can always go to a parts supply store and they can usually scan / clear codes for no charge.
" There is enough in the world for everyones' needs, but not enough for everyones' greed. "
Gandhi

User avatar
Sveedy
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:52 pm
Year and Model: 96 850 Turbo
Location: N. Arizona
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 30 times
United States of America
Sveedy

Re: New 850. What stuff are a MUST to replace/repair if the maintenance history is unknown?

Post by Sveedy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:11 am

Honestly you'll find this site ( MVS) to be one of the most valuable tools you could have. Don't think I could have accomplished all I have done without it.
" There is enough in the world for everyones' needs, but not enough for everyones' greed. "
Gandhi

eightfifty2x0
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:02 am
Year and Model: 1996 850
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0
Germany
eightfifty2x0

Re: New 850. What stuff are a MUST to replace/repair if the maintenance history is unknown?

Post by eightfifty2x0 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:21 am

Sveedy wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:11 am
Honestly you'll find this site ( MVS) to be one of the most valuable tools you could have. Don't think I could have accomplished all I have done without it.
Though am new, it seems to be the case

xHeart
Posts: 2728
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:05 am
Year and Model: 13XC90/01V70X/97N854
Location: Great Lakes - USA
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 42 times
United States of America
xHeart

Re: New 850. What stuff are a MUST to replace/repair if the maintenance history is unknown?

Post by xHeart » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:27 am

eightfifty2x0 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:21 am
Sveedy wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:11 am
Honestly you'll find this site ( MVS) to be one of the most valuable tools you could have. Don't think I could have accomplished all I have done without it.
Though am new, it seems to be the case
This is a relevant maintenance log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=46831
--
Golden Retriever | 2014D VIDA DiCE | 2013A XC90 +144mi/231km | 2001 V70XC 1st Owner +196mi/ +315km | 1997 Volvo 850 NA 1st Owner +180mi/ +289km
Past: German Shepherd | 1989 Volvo 740 GL | 1979 Volvo 240

eightfifty2x0
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:02 am
Year and Model: 1996 850
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0
Germany
eightfifty2x0

Re: New 850. What stuff are a MUST to replace/repair if the maintenance history is unknown?

Post by eightfifty2x0 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:59 pm

xHeart wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:27 am
This is a relevant maintenance log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=46831
How tricky is to replace the timing belt and the water pump? Does it require extra mechanical knowledge? What tool does one need for the job?
Because i asked at a workshop that specializes on Volvos and they said that for a timing belt and water pump change they charge 350€(almost 400 dollars). Is it worth it to take the car there?

xHeart
Posts: 2728
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:05 am
Year and Model: 13XC90/01V70X/97N854
Location: Great Lakes - USA
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 42 times
United States of America
xHeart

Re: New 850. What stuff are a MUST to replace/repair if the maintenance history is unknown?

Post by xHeart » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:19 pm

eightfifty2x0 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:59 pm
xHeart wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:27 am
This is a relevant maintenance log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=46831
How tricky is to replace the timing belt and the water pump? Does it require extra mechanical knowledge? What tool does one need for the job?
Because i asked at a workshop that specializes on Volvos and they said that for a timing belt and water pump change they charge 350€(almost 400 dollars). Is it worth it to take the car there?
$400 with parts is a good deal. BUT, you do not want aftermarket parts.

DIY this car else mileage and age will drain your pocketbook. It is best to use OE/OEM parts for critical service, such as AISIN for water pump, INA for pulley and tensioner, and something like Conti for belt. Include serpentine belt and tensioner to0o

This may help some https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/faile ... ilure.html
--
Golden Retriever | 2014D VIDA DiCE | 2013A XC90 +144mi/231km | 2001 V70XC 1st Owner +196mi/ +315km | 1997 Volvo 850 NA 1st Owner +180mi/ +289km
Past: German Shepherd | 1989 Volvo 740 GL | 1979 Volvo 240

eightfifty2x0
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:02 am
Year and Model: 1996 850
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0
Germany
eightfifty2x0

Re: New 850. What stuff are a MUST to replace/repair if the maintenance history is unknown?

Post by eightfifty2x0 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:04 am

xHeart wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:19 pm
eightfifty2x0 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:59 pm
xHeart wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:27 am
This is a relevant maintenance log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=46831
How tricky is to replace the timing belt and the water pump? Does it require extra mechanical knowledge? What tool does one need for the job?
Because i asked at a workshop that specializes on Volvos and they said that for a timing belt and water pump change they charge 350€(almost 400 dollars). Is it worth it to take the car there?
$400 with parts is a good deal. BUT, you do not want aftermarket parts.

DIY this car else mileage and age will drain your pocketbook. It is best to use OE/OEM parts for critical service, such as AISIN for water pump, INA for pulley and tensioner, and something like Conti for belt. Include serpentine belt and tensioner to0o

This may help some https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/faile ... ilure.html
I was thinking getting the timing belt done at the workshop and all else by me.
Btw, you didnt answer on the timing belt change

User avatar
ZionXIX
Posts: 563
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:47 pm
Year and Model: 1996 850 Turbo S/W
Location: Texas
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 43 times
United States of America
ZionXIX

Re: New 850. What stuff are a MUST to replace/repair if the maintenance history is unknown?

Post by ZionXIX » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:13 am

Search youtube for "RobertDIY". He has fantastic videos on nearly everything related to 850 volvos as well as timing belt tutorials. Its important to get the timing correct to avoid damage to the engine. Watch the videos and then decide if you're up for it. Most if it can be accomplished with basic socket set but you will need the ability to remove the passenger wheel and you will need a way to release the tension on the serpentine belt. Lots of creative diy methods on here. It took me 2 afternoons to change my water pump, tensioner, timing belt the first time around.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post