IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2006 2.5T battery draining overnight Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
TrstnBrtt
Year and Model: 2006 XC9 2.5T
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Canada
TrstnBrtt

2006 2.5T battery draining overnight  Topic is solved

Post by TrstnBrtt » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:31 pm

I have a 2006 XC90 that keeps dying overnight and sometimes while it’s parked while I’m at work. I replaced the battery thinking that was the problem but it still went down. I finally got around to getting a multimeter on it between the negative battery post and negative battery lead to try and find a parasitic drain. When I pulled fuse 2 beside the steering wheel (30A, Amplifier) it dropped from 2.XX A to .02 A. When I plugged the fuse back in there was an Audiable crack and I could hear a very faint hum coming from the speaker (I wouldn’t have heard it on it’s own but my head was right beside the speaker. A bit of background I’ve owned this car for like 4 years and when I first got it I was able to swap out the 2006 style radio for the 2007+ radio to gain AUX (please note that I do not have satellite radio as an option, but I know there is a TSB for Sirius draining the battery.) but the battery has only been going flat for the last few weeks, I didn’t have any problems before. About 2 years ago the sunroof drains plugged up and there was quite a lot of water under the passenger seat, but I can’t remember if the amp got wet. I’m wondering if this test I did to find the draw would be accurate or if I should keep worrying. I closed the door latches and locked the car with the reduced guard on for 10-15 minutes to put the modules all to sleep (?). Should my next step be to replace the amp?
If I paid attention to signs with little symbols I’d never find anywhere to park.

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Re: 2006 2.5T battery draining overnight

Post by RickHaleParker » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:19 am

Disconnect the amp and measure. It could be in the harness.
--------
Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package.
Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000.
Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0.
Platform P2 2004 S60R, B2524T4, AW50/51 AWD, B8444S TF80 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, BorgWarner K24 turbocharger. V8 conversion in progress.

TrstnBrtt
Canada
TrstnBrtt

Post by TrstnBrtt » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:08 am

RickHaleParker wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:19 am
Disconnect the amp and measure. It could be in the harness.

Oooh good idea. I’ll give it a try today!
If I paid attention to signs with little symbols I’d never find anywhere to park.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:59 pm

You don't need to lock the doors for a drain test, just serial plug the multimeter to the battery, leave it on then wait 10 minutes. Pretty much everything shuts down - may want perhaps to remove the alarm siren fuse to be sure. Only my trunk lights refuse to go off at 10 min so I usually disconnect them too. At sharp 10 min after touching the car you should see the amps dropping to 0.01-0.02 if there's no drain - but keep in mind if a module has a short it may also act up intermittently. The amp almost always get wet with harsh winters and kids in the back seat - snow melts off boots and leaks under the front seat and soak the bottom of the amp. I wrapped mine in a plastic bag for this reason. Look from behind the seat underneath, see if the amp has white traces of corrosion near the bottom (usually it has a black paint on it). May try swapping the amp from Ebay to have the radio working

TrstnBrtt
Canada
TrstnBrtt

Post by TrstnBrtt » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:54 pm

I actually didn’t get around to testing it yesterday. I’m going to try to later this evening. It just occurred to me I had to swap out the IAQ sensor on the CCM a few weeks back and I’m wondering if I shorted something with the radio out back then. A few years back the sunroof drain did back up and flooded the passenger side. I honestly can’t remember if the AMP was submerged so we took it apart on Saturday. There was a bit of something on the board but I’m not sure if it was corrosion or not but it didn’t look very significant.

TrstnBrtt
Canada
TrstnBrtt

Post by TrstnBrtt » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:56 am

Okay, wanted to post an update because I did get some really helpful advice on here but ultimately the battery drain was completely my fault. I’ had replaced my CCM and ICM with the 2007+ updated versions a few years ago. I had to connect the wires coming from the car to a different connector because the existing harness didn’t fit. A few weeks ago when I replaced the air quality sensor in the in the CCM I pulled the harness out of the CD player and the switched power wire broke out of the harness. I repaired it but accidentally routed it to the constant on the same harness. I didn’t put 2 and 2 together until I looked at the wiring harness diagram on all data and discovered it is powered from the Amplifier. Fixed everything up Friday evening and the car sat all night without dying. Measured the battery voltage yesterday and it’s where it’s supposed to be. Lesson learned, and I should not be left alone with butt connectors