IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

steering wheel shimmy/wobble at hwy speed xc70

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

darrylrobert
Year and Model: 2001 v70xc
Australia
darrylrobert

steering wheel shimmy/wobble at hwy speed xc70

Post by darrylrobert » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:46 am

Ever since i hit a dip in the road and bottomed out my front suspension, my steering wheel shimmies/wobbles at around 100km/h but not always, only when i hit a joint/bump in the road.

My first thought was a weight fell off my wheels, but i swapped the fronts for the rears and the problem is still there. Ive been really stressing out that ive damaged my alloys or tyres.

I also suspected the steering rack/inner outer tie rods so ive checked and replaced all that (used parts) but problem remains.

I had booked in to get the wheels balanced checked and steering aligned but a google search said a bad shock can cause this as it looks like ive damaged one or both shocks. I can see oil staining, so ive ordered new factory shocks from Volvo.

I will also recheck carefully the numerous other links and joints.

jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70
Wales
jonesg

Re: steering wheel shimmy/wobble at hwy speed xc70

Post by jonesg » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:20 am

Look at the control arm bushings too.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: steering wheel shimmy/wobble at hwy speed xc70

Post by oragex » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:13 am

Don't forget to look at the tire on both sides of the wall, for any bubbling
As above, check the bushings in CA. For intermittent vibrations, I had problems with the axles. The slightest play in the CV joints or even just a small nick inside the joints can cause intermittent vibrations, depending on the road surface flateness. Maybe try replacing it with a used one that has not play in CV joints. While there, worth inspecting the ball joint or even replace it if it hit really hard