IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

right axle viscous clutch leak:

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
Jonesroad
Year and Model: 99 s80
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Jonesroad

right axle viscous clutch leak:

Post by Jonesroad » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:25 am

Hi Everyone-

longtime lurker forum creeper, first time to post I think...

So- I have a 99' s80 t6. been in the family for 12 years.

I took the right axle out- i'll try to attach pics- it has the Viscous Clutch.

Originally I took the axle out because there was a constant drip leak on the bottom part of the axle- usually on the bottom part of the 'viscous clutch' or whatever that thing is officially called. I assumed it was the transmission seal, so i went through all that fun stuff to get the seal out.

I have the axle on the table (see pictures) and I've noticed still there is a drip on the bottom of the axle.

I have the vadis software and it mentioned either a 42 or 47? mm seal on these things. So i'm assuming it is possible to take it apart and reseal it..and i'm also assuming that It is leaking. I cleaned it off, and still there is a small drip forming on the bottom of the axle.

I'm not a complete newbie with cars- I took the top end of this off, took all the valves out lapped them , took the lifters completely apart and cleaned them all up, new head gasket all that stuff- but this viscous clutch axle..thing...I have no knowledge of.

I've been trying to find information, videos, forum posts but I just can't seem to come across anything. Hate to be that guy- but thought I would make a new post and see if anyone could help.

So just to reiterate- wanting to know if anyone can give me advice or guide in a direction where I can get information on how to stop this thing from leaking, how to take it apart, and put in a new seal (assuming it has one)

well until i figure out posting pics on this forum here is the google drive folder with pics of the axle- the closeup show you can see a very small drip on the bottom of the 'viscous clutch'
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

SlowLane
Year and Model: 1996 855 Turbo
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SlowLane

Re: right axle viscous clutch leak:

Post by SlowLane » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:19 pm

Not a clue how to take it apart, but here's a link to the seals (I searched for a 2002 model like mine, but I expect it'll be the same parts for your '99)
ViscousClutchSeals.png
ViscousClutchSeals.png (22.65 KiB) Viewed 211 times
The part diagram doesn't help much. It seems to suggest that the Visco unit just slides off of the driveshaft. Is that the case?
These users thanked the author SlowLane for the post:
Jonesroad
Current Volvos:
2002 2.9 S80 - Wife's car, the "Silver Flash"
1996 855 Turbo - Formerly daughter's ride. My toy now.

Former Volvos:
1997 855 GLT - Totalled by daughter. Now she appreciates Volvos. :wink:
1984 244 DL B23F - warped head after radiator blew
1982 245 GL B21A - My first Volvo. Sold with 400,000 km on it.

Other:
1981 VW Westfalia

Jonesroad
United States of America
Jonesroad

Post by Jonesroad » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:33 pm

well- I tried..tapping on it a bit, to see if maybe it would pop out, same way a cv axle will 'pop' out of a transmission. I wasn't sure , taking a risk even with that so I didn't pop it too much.

It could be that I just don't have proper leverage to get it off, bit I know that it just doesn't slide off with no resistance.

Jonesroad
United States of America
Jonesroad

Post by Jonesroad » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:34 pm

SlowLane wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:19 pm
Not a clue how to take it apart, but here's a link to the seals (I searched for a 2002 model like mine, but I expect it'll be the same parts for your '99)

ViscousClutchSeals.png

The part diagram doesn't help much. It seems to suggest that the Visco unit just slides off of the driveshaft. Is that the case?
and yea thanks for the link- I had found that sometime last week but already forgotten what the website was :D

I was thinking about calling the dealership ..wanted to try here first.

Jonesroad
United States of America
Jonesroad

Post by Jonesroad » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:59 am

If anyone has any ideas, I will be eternally grateful!

If nothing else, I wold like to know how this thing works-the Viscous clutch does 'shift' back and forth on the axle- it is on the axle but it has movement. So I'm thinking maybe it has a clip ..or some sort of retaining device attached. Again, the vadis software up to this point doesn't show me and i'm still..trying to just figure this thing out.

Jonesroad
United States of America
Jonesroad

Post by Jonesroad » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:49 pm

update- I am in N.E. Alabama, so I called the Volvo place in Huntsville.
Guy there had no idea. he'd been there since 2011, he was unsure about these cars even having a viscous coupler/ clutch thingy...he looked and looked and ther furtherest we got was him giving me names of men who used to work on these.
I ended up calling IPD, explained that there are two different seals (42 & 47mm) offered so i figured these must come off- we didn't really get anywhere either.

It's an older car, i'm about ready to just give it the RTV treatment and forget it- but still i'd love to know how to fix it just for my own pride's sake.

SlowLane
United States of America
SlowLane

Post by SlowLane » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:38 pm

Well, the S80 is a rather niche car to begin with, and the ones with a Visco clutch are even fewer in number, so it's hardly surprising that it's difficult to find anyone who knows about them.
There seems to be at least two versions out there: yours and this one that someone posted a photo of back in 2011.

If you look at photos on eBay and elsewhere of the axle that goes with your version, it appears that there is a groove for a retaining ring in the splined part which goes inside the clutch drum. So maybe you just need to use a little more force to pop it off. But it's understandable that you wouldn't want to risk that.

Whatever you decide or learn about this, I hope you post your findings for the next poor sap to learn from.

Good luck.
Current Volvos:

Former Volvos:

Other:
1981 VW Westfalia

Jonesroad
United States of America
Jonesroad

Post by Jonesroad » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:51 pm

SlowLane wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:38 pm
Well, the S80 is a rather niche car to begin with, and the ones with a Visco clutch are even fewer in number, so it's hardly surprising that it's difficult to find anyone who knows about them.
There seems to be at least two versions out there: yours and this one that someone posted a photo of back in 2011.

If you look at photos on eBay and elsewhere of the axle that goes with your version, it appears that there is a groove for a retaining ring in the splined part which goes inside the clutch drum. So maybe you just need to use a little more force to pop it off. But it's understandable that you wouldn't want to risk that.

Whatever you decide or learn about this, I hope you post your findings for the next poor sap to learn from.

Good luck.
well- looking at that, it's how I figured it would probably be.

usually when i assume something and go through with it i hear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jz1TjCphXE and then I realize in in several days of work and waiting.

The volvo gods might smite me, but i'll at least take that risk... I went around the inside with a small flathead driver and black rtv. I told the guy I talked with at IPD ( Pete? I think? Paul? ) and we talked about the rtv route and he said might as well. it's a 21 y.o. car.

Honestly, I have spent wayyyyy too much time on this car- did the seats, had the entire interior taken out including the carpet, crap plastic replaced, all sorts of goofy wiring things that led me down rabbit holes... bushings on the a-frames, took the head off, lapped the valves, disassembled the lifters...I'm just mentally trying to think all the things I've fooled with this car. Starting to think it was a curse sent for crimes committed in a former life.

Sorry I didn't find out what / how to do this job- I'd already halfway gotten the axle back in this morning and then I saw this post, otherwise I think I probably would have tried it.

SlowLane
United States of America
SlowLane

Post by SlowLane » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:52 am

Jonesroad wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:51 pm
Honestly, I have spent wayyyyy too much time on this car-
... took the head off, lapped the valves, disassembled the lifters...
I'm just mentally trying to think all the things I've fooled with this car. Starting to think it was a curse sent for crimes committed in a former life.
I feel ya. I'm in the process of re-assembling my S80 after rebuilding the transmission. Prior to that it was hunting down a pesky oil leak which was coating the passenger side of the belly pan every time we took it on the highway. The car has probably spent more time jacked up in the garage than on its own wheels this past year.

But we have had it for 14 years, my wife loves the car, and it's by and large been a trouble-free vehicle, so it's overdue for some TLC. My fear is that the next shoe to drop will be a burnt exhaust valve, and then I'll be following in your shoes with the head work.

Hey, if we wanted trouble-free cars we'd all be driving Toyotas. :wink:
Current Volvos:

Former Volvos:

Other:
1981 VW Westfalia

Jonesroad
United States of America
Jonesroad

Post by Jonesroad » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:15 am

SlowLane wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:52 am
Jonesroad wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:51 pm
Honestly, I have spent wayyyyy too much time on this car-
... took the head off, lapped the valves, disassembled the lifters...
I'm just mentally trying to think all the things I've fooled with this car. Starting to think it was a curse sent for crimes committed in a former life.
I feel ya. I'm in the process of re-assembling my S80 after rebuilding the transmission. Prior to that it was hunting down a pesky oil leak which was coating the passenger side of the belly pan every time we took it on the highway. The car has probably spent more time jacked up in the garage than on its own wheels this past year.

Hey, if we wanted trouble-free cars we'd all be driving Toyotas. :wink:

Curious how long the trans rebuild took you? did you drop the entire Engine Tranny unit or just the Trans? I don't need to do that..I think... But I am just curious.

And what about that oil leak? where was it coming from?

Same for mine- spent all this year on jackstands / blocks. Work in progress.